Toyota Sequoia

MahaloBoards

I'm having a hard time finding examples of the Toyota Sequoia being used as a trail rig or overlander... is there a reason for that? It seems like it would be a great platform to start with. They're not as big as the Landy but bigger than the 4 Runner. I am considering a trade offer... a Sequoia for my 4 door Tacoma. When comparing the value... the Sequoia has considerably less millage and newer than my Tacoma. Are Sequoia's problematic? Are they difficult to modify? We have truly enjoyed our Tacoma but it is just a too small for our family at this point and we need a bigger vehicle. We also love camping and the out doors so I'm not really excited about getting rid of my Tacoma sense it is great off road.

Clutch

<---Pass
They aren't as popular as other Toyotas, so there is lack of support. Shares components as the Tundra...so what will fit the Tundra, will generally fit
the Sequoia. Friend of mine picked one up for $11K with only 100K on the ODO last year.

Total Chaos has front suspension components for them.

3A-IMG_1322-1000.jpg

Expedition Leader
They're not as big as the Landy but bigger than the 4 Runner.

Seriously? 100 and 200-series Cruisers must be huge. I owned a Sequoia and an 80-series at the same time, and the the Sequoia was way bigger than the 80.

Our Sequoia was a great family road car (2WD, never took it on more than a dirt road). Comfortable, quiet, powerful, and stone reliable. It's still in the family at well over 200,000 miles with no repairs ever, just routine maintenance.

waterweber

Observer
Sequoia is bigger than a LC of any sort.
Mine was a first gen and was super comfortable and easy to drive. Lots of room. OK on the dirt and good in the snow. Really one of the most comfortable trucks I have ever had.
Unfortunately mine was a POS. Trans went out at 95K and tons of little stuff breaking all the time. I personally would do a second gen one but will never have a first gen one again.

fireball

Explorer
Funny timing...I'm asking myself this same question right now. We have a 99 4R and our family of 4 is outgrowing it. Considering a 100 or a Sequoia. For similar price range ($10-15k) you're looking at a 00-03 100 or a 05-06 Sequoia. The Sequoia is definitely bigger. Way bigger! So for hauling a family and gear around that is a plus. I think the 100 has the pretty clear advantage in off-road prowess and aftermarket support.

There are a few threads on here and ih8mud of some built Sequoia's. Also check out tundranation or tundrasolutions I forget which for some lifted Sequoia's.

Here are some lifted ones: http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/1gen-sequoia/74260-showoff-thread-lifted-sequoias/

Here is probably the "most built" Sequoia you might find: http://forum.ih8mud.com/95-gen-toyota-trucks/312885-bored-building-02-sequoia-mild-build.html

Consumer reports reliability ratings have pretty excellent scores across the board for the 1st gen Sequoia. I don't think there is anything holding the Sequoia back from being a capable off-road expo type vehicle. The aftermarket support just isn't there yet, probably because of lack of demand.

fireball

Explorer
I tried to post a response earlier but it is waiting for approval by mods. It had links to other sites is that not allowed?

There are a few decently well built Sequoias out there but not much aftermarket support so options are limited or you have to take your chances with tundra specific items and modify to fit if needed.

MahaloBoards

Seems I was confused with the difference between the Landy and Sequoia. If the Sequoia is bigger, why is the fuel millage better or am I confusing the two here as well? I would rather get the Land Cruiser but for the money, we can get a newer vehicle with less millage with a Sequoia. I kept my Tacoma mostly stock and it performed off road as well as I needed it to so l probably won't be modifying the Sequoia much either. Has anyone run into clearance issues with one? For us... As long as we can take it into the mountains or on the beach occasionally for camping, I believe this will work great for us. I'm not really into modifying vehicles to what they can/can't maneuver and I avoid the mud because that stuff just tears up your vehicle but sure looks like fun... just not in my budget.

Mahalo!
www.MahaloBoards.com

Eric Edwards

Adventurer
The current generation Sequoia is larger than the current generation Landcruiser by a good margin. It probably gets better mileage because it is not full time four wheel drive like the Landcruiser.

fireball

Explorer
Mahalo, if you don't care about off-road prowess, then the Sequoia is probably the clear winner. It will be decently capable off road for your intended use, give you more interior space, better seating, better gas mileage and more storage than a 100.

Here are a few threads on built Sequoias. I tried to post this earlier in response to your initial question about Sequoias being used as trail rigs or overlanding vehicle.

http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/1gen-sequoia/74260-showoff-thread-lifted-sequoias/

http://forum.ih8mud.com/95-gen-toyota-trucks/312885-bored-building-02-sequoia-mild-build.html

MahaloBoards

Excited!!!
Found a Sequoia and willing buyer for my Tacoma!
Can't wait til it gets here.
03 AWD Limited and loaded with only 89k on her. Already planning the maiden camping trip with it.
Going to keep it stock for now until I can research exactly what I can do with it plus I need to build the account back up.
Wife and I are really going to miss the Taco but she just doesn't fit the mission at this time.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
AWD? I thought they all came with multi-mode? Multi-mode = AWD when you want it and 2wd when you don't. ;)

First gen Sequoias are a good sized vehicle for overlanding. I think you'll like it.

FJR Colorado

Explorer
I have a 2001 Sequoia and freaking love it.

Very comfortable. I'm 6'6" and this rides like a Cadillac.

Plenty fast and powerful with the 4.7 V8. Surprisingly good mileage. I've had it off-road even though I have no mods (other than BFG tires at the time) and, while it's no rock crawler, it is pretty darn capable. As capable as a Tundra since basically that's what it is. Very good in snow. Very reliable. Great Toyota DNA.

I now have 17" FJ Cruiser wheels on it with Yoko Geolandars. This really works out great. There is some minor rub at full-turn.

The only thing I would suggest is to replace the rear door latch with an after-market metal unit. The stock plastic ones are notorious for breaking and it is a PITA to replace; but even worse once the stock one breaks.

Other than that, they are simply superb vehicles. I'm at around 126K miles and have only had it for around the past 20K/3 years. ZERO problems outside of the rear latch.

I would have no hesitation in highly recommending a Big Tree to you!

MahaloBoards

I think the first thing I'm going to add/install is a backup camera. My wife seems to bump into something about once a year with our Rav4 so I image she's going to have a hard time with this one as well. The only time my Tacoma has ever bumped into anything was when she was driving it. :(
Has anyone here ever installed an aftermarket rearview camera on a Sequoia?
Also thinking about some heavy steal bumpers when I really get going with this thing.

fireball

Explorer
I'd put that money for the backup camera into the bumper. Get a big solid bumper back there and it doesn't matter what she hits!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94