Options for plates?

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
I have used the speckled plates and didn't like those...
used the MSR plates and didn't like those...plus lots of money for a plate..
been using burner covers as the are cheap and nest well..but they lose heat quick so food gets cold.

Been thinking of using heavy duty pie tins as the have a nice dish, should keep food hot and nest.

Thoughts and suggestions?

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
I like SS plates and bowls. You can put them on the burner or fire if needed. The plates have 1/2" lips to keep the food on them. Scrub them with any and everything. Recently I picked up .5, 1, and 2 quart SS bowls at the 99 cent store for, you guessed it .99 cent each.

Curmudgeon

Adventurer
Find your nearest dollar store and buy their cheap melamine stuff. It's nearly unbreakable, and it doesn't suck the heat out of your food like metal does.

Better yet, I use paper. It's a rare night in the backcountry that we don't have a fire. Makes "doing the dishes" simple and doesn't use any precious water. When I'm camping/exploring, I'm not out there to do domestic work like washing dishes.

k9lestat

Expedition Leader
Find your nearest dollar store and buy their cheap melamine stuff. It's nearly unbreakable, and it doesn't suck the heat out of your food like metal does.

Better yet, I use paper. It's a rare night in the backcountry that we don't have a fire. Makes "doing the dishes" simple and doesn't use any precious water. When I'm camping/exploring, I'm not out there to do domestic work like washing dishes.

amen

Sirocco

Explorer
Disposable kitchenware is a complete waste of resources and does not make any long term sense.

Metal plates suck heat in cold climates but may work for you.

Been using Sea to summit delta plates for 6 months solid on the road now and a few years on and off prior to that. They are great. Used at -20 in Norway back in February no problem, washing up was difficult though. We are carrying 4 and they are very durable, no problems.

Delta_Plate.jpg

http://www.seatosummit.com/products/display/78

G

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
We use plastic tableware stuff from Target - it's cheap and doesn't rattle :p:p

That's what we've been using for a few years - still on the first set of plates and bowls, but the plastic glasses they sell kind crack pretty easy.

Cee-Jay

Sasquatch
We use the GSI Cascadian Set, which includes four color-coded plates, cups and bowls for around $20. They are lightweight, durable, quiet, easy to wipe clean (no soap or water necessary most of the time), dishwasher safe and the colors help folks remember which plate belongs to them. The surfaces will scratch over time though and the colors (esp. green) are not necessarily ideal for food presentation! The cups helpfully have measurements marked on the inside, but they are very hard to read. Comes with a decent mesh carry bag.

I've been using a set of Coleman lexan knives, forks and two kinds of spoons (tea and table) for several years now. Extremely tough, dishwasher safe and the knives cut suprisingly well.... and they're cheap.

Good luck.

Honu

lost on the mainland
Gsi stuff also use some corelle ware stuff love it but heavier they make these pie plate plates that are really nice

Hate plastic for food you have to cut and hate using plastic utensils so the corelle is nice

Curmudgeon

Adventurer
Disposable kitchenware is a complete waste of resources and does not make any long term sense
Water is a very precious resource when you're in the backcountry with a very limited supply. A package of 100 paper plates lasts me about two years, and the "waste" is an acceptable trade-off for conserving water. I use the heavy plastic utensils and stockpile the used (unwashed) ones in a ziploc bag. When I get home I wash them and put them back in my kitchen box. I am very much opposed to waste.

But by your logic one should never use paper towels, paper napkins, Kleenex, or toilet paper, so I'm going to assume you don't use any of those things. You're welcome to use whatever you want, and you won't hear any criticism from me. But when you accuse me of wasting resources for using a few paper plates, the only response I have is . . . BUL********!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles