What battery options?

MIGZ

Observer
Since I got my trailer used it already had a battery installed. Years have gone by and i replaced the charger but now it looks like the battery is no longer taking a charge.

What deep cell battery is everyone using, is there a preferred battery, best bang for the buck kind of battery truly just looking to make a wise purchase on a replacement battery?

Thanks in advance.

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
That's a pretty open-ended question! How big a battery do you need, what type of a battery charger do you have, and what's your budget?

Lifeline batteries are excellent and will last a lot longer than others - but may or may not be worth the premium, depending on your application.

skersfan

Supporting Sponsor
Take a look at Chairman/Concorde. These are military grade solar type batteries, designed to be used on a daily basis. I have some in solar towers that have in use for 12 years or more. Great batteries. Not economical by any means though.

DGarman

What could go wrong?
Big A** group 31 battery.
I have the Odyssey PC 2150 (but the Sears Diehard equivalent is similar.)
Lots of stamina.

Dennis

MIGZ

Observer
That's a pretty open-ended question! How big a battery do you need, what type of a battery charger do you have, and what's your budget?

Lifeline batteries are excellent and will last a lot longer than others - but may or may not be worth the premium, depending on your application.

ON so let me try and answer some of the questions.

My charger is a Battery Tender Waterproof Power Tender Plus 12V @ 5A. More detail in the link below
http://batterytender.com/power-tender-plus-12v-at-5a.html

Not sure what size I need, all I typically run is the engle 45 fridge may run a 12 fan if it's too hot.

Budget wise I would like to keep it in the $200 range but I'm open for less expensive solutions. If i have to pay more would like to understand the value in what i am purchaings.

Again thanks for the help.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
A 5 amp charger isn't much and will take a long time to recharge anything that's run a fridge for a while.

When it comes to batteries, one size does not fit all...

For me, a teardropper with LED lighting and an ARB 50L fridge, I wanted to be able to recharge fast. I have a 180 amp alternator, very stout wiring, and my on-board charger is high amperage as well. I chose a pair of Optima D31M batteries (150 total amps) due to their low internal resistance and ability to charge back up quickly. We short-hop frequently and my batteries have always come back up from just the drive time between campsites.

How long will you boondock? Will you be short-hopping or just doing overnighters? Will you be long-hopping? Generator in mind? Solar?
I had a single DieHard Platinum (100 amp) in my Conqueror; all it powered was an Edgestar fridge. I pulled that with a Jeep JK with a 160 amp alternator; that fridge was thirstier (like the one you have), the charge amperage was lower... ...it never charged back up during our short hops and I had to bring a genny along for long stays.

pugslyyy

blue top is an excellent battery - it is pretty much the marine version of the yellowtop.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
I found a good deal on an optima blue top what are the thoughts on thouse?
My favorite battery.
(somewhere TEOTWAKI is grimacing in pain)

But, again, only if it suits your needs.
My charger and my alternator get along with my two Optima BlueTops. My consumption rate is within their capacity.
The biggest BlueTop, the D31M, is only 75 amps. You have to do the battery calcs, figure out how many amps you'll be using per day off the grid.
Some fridges are quite thirsty. Think Edgestar for that. Very very thirsty.
Some fans are thirsty. Think Fantastic Fan.

The Optima will give all its got but you have to be realistic too. 75 amps is 75 amps. And it's not that many to bring it down to scary level, 10.5v or so. You don't want to beat the poor thing to death.

Fill in the blanks for us. How long will you be boondocking at a time?
Sounds like you need more amperage than I need if you plan to run a fan...
Maybe a pair of 6v golfcart batteries wired in series?

DLeslie

I have used the DieHard PM-1(group 31) and PM-2 (group 34) for truck batteries for about four years. I now have a PM-1 in my Horizon trailer running ARB fridge and occasional fan or led lights. Highly recommend and won't be going back to Optima.

skersfan

Supporting Sponsor
I have never found Marine batteries to be worth a thing. I use solar type batteries and they last far longer. Cost more, but you replace them less often. My trailer has been running on the battery now for almost six days, running the fridge, the lights, the water pump, all the time I have been playing with everything. Down to 12.4 as of this morning. Not sure what it is now as have been away most of the day. Again you need to know how much you are going to use, then double it to have anywhere near enough I think. Nothing worse than dealing with a battery system that is over taxed. They go down hill very quickly.

pugslyyy

I have never found Marine batteries to be worth a thing. I use solar type batteries and they last far longer. Cost more, but you replace them less often. My trailer has been running on the battery now for almost six days, running the fridge, the lights, the water pump, all the time I have been playing with everything. Down to 12.4 as of this morning. Not sure what it is now as have been away most of the day. Again you need to know how much you are going to use, then double it to have anywhere near enough I think. Nothing worse than dealing with a battery system that is over taxed. They go down hill very quickly.

When you say solar, you mean AGM? What brand / size are you using?

skersfan

Supporting Sponsor
Certain batteries, AGM type are designed for use in Solar banks. I use Chairman/Concorde/SunSaver. I have used these in my solar cell sites for over 12 years now, some may even be longer. I use a 255 amp hour battery in my trailer, with a Morningstar 15amp Digital controller, 100 watt panel from Home Depot. All this runs through a Progressive Dynamics brain box, that distributes 110 with breaker, 12 12 volt fused lines. It is a smart device in that it charges the batteries on quick charge if needed, slow charge and converting 110 to 12 volt, so no battery use while plugged in to shore power or generator. It also maintains batteries in storage. My set up, other than the battery is very reasonable, for top of the line equipment.

You can read about them here..

http://www.sunxtender.com/series.php?id=3

These batteries burry all others I have tried, including Odyssey, Optima, Die Hard, any Marine battery. Optima was the rage just before we found these. I normally ran 12 group 31 batteries in a tower. The Optima's would last two years, with continuous maintenance. Cleaning them every month, checking ouput, system noise. Concored/Chairman/Sun Extender units have lasted triple the time with far less maintenance/concern. I have towers that have never been down due to solar in over 12 years using this type of battery.

Old sarge put his trailer away for the winter, 4 months it ran the fridge, turned on. It was down in the 10 volt area. How long no one knows. Hooked a charger to it and it is holding a normal charge. That is pretty amazing. Nothing like them on the market. They are used in military jet fighters supposedly. But under no circumstance would I call them economical, but you get what you pay for, well with Optima you don't.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz