Want Advice Re: Which Trailer: Horizon vs. Conqueror Basecamp vs. Compact

J-P

Greetings,

I am in the process of actively selecting an adventure trailer for our family's use, and as the name of the thread implies, I have pretty much narrowed it down to one of the three choices listed.

I was hoping to get some input about pros and cons of each. I know everyone has their personal preferences, but I would really like to hear what your opinion is, and why. I already have thought of issues such as foreign manufacture with no local support, converting SA-spec electrical to US-spec, etc.

So you know what we are working with, we are a family of four with two younger boys. I'm looking for a larger trailer to handle the four of us and our gear for multiple-day trips, with a strong likelihood that our kids will at some point want to bring along a friend or two, or we may want to invite additional guests ourselves.

The unit must be pretty much self-contained, with plenty of water, room to add in a hot water system, shower plumbing, fridge/cold food storage, solar/battery/shore power systems, cooking range, etc.

We will be towing with a turbo-diesel Ford Excursion 4x4, so towing power isn't really an issue. I want to be able to keep most, if not all, of what we need stored in the trailer, rather than our vehicle. Vehicle space to be reserved for people and VERY large German Shepherds. ;-)

I like the Basecamp, and to a lesser extent the Compact, because they seem to be larger and thus have more storage/upgrade ability than the Horizons. On the other hand I like the Horizons because they are made here in the States, have reasonably local support, and a stellar reputation for support.

If you've owned two or more of these trailers and can compare first-hand, I would particularly like to hear your perspective.

Thanks for your time.

Kcdines

Don't overspend

I am new here but my two cents would be to go the rugged rv trailer route and not a serious off road trailer which you pay a premium. I have both and for the time being I only have a pickup. There is no serious offloading in the pickup so why tow a serious off road trailer. I am selling my adventure trailer and converting over to a cargo custom build.

cnynrat

Expedition Leader
Wow! Nobody with an opinion. That must be a first ;-)

I'm not sure you'll find a lot of people that have owned 2 or more trailers.

We have a Horizon. It's great for our purposes. We're two people that camp for up to a long week with it. I will tell you that for us there is always some gear in the tow vehicle, but the trailer is rarely packed "full."

Since you stated one of your primary requirements is the capacity to hold all your gear I'd suggest you think about what you bring on a typical trip and compare that volume to your trailer choices.

Jeff Wanamog

Off Road Camper Guy
I think you would be better off trying to answer your own question(s). The Adventure Trailer is a hard core, almost indestructible trailer. Not for four people though. What type of off road camping do you do? Consider what your spouse needs to be happy. When the Queens happy, the kingdom is happy. Heater? Porta potty? Also, are you a tent camper? If you camp where it get windy, a trailer with a tent or large folding tent can be a drag. How much do you want to spend? Some of the Aussie/South Africa trailers are very cool. There are also custom builders that will combine all of your great ideas.

Jeff

brentbba

Explorer
Only an owner of a M101 CDN, but have seen the trailers you've selected numerous times on trips. IMHO, for a family of 4, the Conqueror Basecamp with all it's room and awnings w/ sides is the way to go from your selections. As others have said, the AT Horizon is great, but depending on the tent you put on top, might not be large enough. The trailer itself is perfect and the guys at AT are super helpful. The Eezi-Awn Globedrifter imported by Paul May at Equipt1 allows for the sleeping platform for two and a very nice large covered area (much bigger than the original Globetrotter). Pricey, but nice! Paul had one at CruiseMoab 2012 that I saw.

Just curious, have you looked at a Kimberly Kamper? There's also a US equivalent made in CO I think, but can't recall it's name - saw it at CruiseMoab 2012 also. A little larger platform than the three you've narrowed it down to, but large enough for a family of 4 and still offroad capable.

TheThom

Adventurer
The one in CO is the Adrenalin camper. I also have 2 little boys and a dog. For us, you can't beat the room and easy towing of a pop up or adrenalin type camper. Look at Jon Harris' thread for the Adrenalin. There are some pretty detailed videos about its features. It's much more rugged than a pop up but still has plenty of room

Dendy Jarrett

Expedition Portal Admin
Staff member
I own a Conqueror, but alas it is the only one like it here. I have, however, owned a Conqueror Conquest (similar to Compact). They are well made, but you'd be hard pressed to get 4 people in the Base Camp and for sure wouldn't get 4 people in the Compact. Probably the same on the Adventure Trailer, however, the bigger the tent, the more the room.

You might look on the For Sale section for campers, as there is a few examples of Fleetwood (Coleman) Evolutions for sale and there is one very sweet Adrenalin used for sale as well.

Hope that helps.
D

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
I had a Compact and I think it would get small on you pretty fast. A Conquest or Basecamp might suit you.
The Conquest's tent would be able to house a couple of cots in the downstairs room; it's much cooler down there, btw. Heat rises and that could be important if you winter camp.
The tent on the Basecamp is a handful to erect --- I'd get rid of it and put on a 2200 sized RTT. I'd do the same to a Horizon.

Honu

lost on the mainland
Owned a conquest larger than the compact

Reasons I liked it over the AT style
You can get into all sides with the tent deployed
Fridge area out of back
Personal gear onone side can be accessed from inside tent area and kitchen side easy to get lunch on the road
Large dual water tanks
Great RTT with large annex built onto it so lots of inside room for family but its seperated by about 6 foot height

Reasons we sold
The seperation in the RTT our boy is a jumper wife was afraid of him jumping off ? It was to tight even though king size for all 4 of us :)
She wanted us all together on same level and she did not really like the height of the ladder
Heavy when loaded for my FJC

In some ways I am really missing it :) but not towing a trailer is nice also ?

Have been debating about picking up a light utility trailer though

Debating on where you camp and how might make a choice like a pop up also look for used King Campers also very cool

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles