Apple Mini or Galaxy Tab3?

kbahus

Adventurer
Looks like it's time to buy a tablet. I was using my friends full size Ipad but feel it's a bit too big for my needs so I am looking at a 7 or 8 inch model. To justify it I need to be able to deal with several of my computing needs. First and foremost I need to be able to use it for school including Powerpoint, Word, PDF, etc., secondly I would like to use it for mapping and gps like many of you do, and finally I would like to be able to have it interface well with my GoPro. I have been using a Macbook for many years and also have an Iphone but feel it might be time to break away from being locked into the Apple world, but I don't know if it's that big of a deal. I can get an Apple Mini for under $300 from Target right now and the Galaxy Tab3 is $199. I certainly don't want to spend more than I have to, especially since I don't know how well i can integrate a tablet into my needs. Any recommendations? I am also open to other options as well.

justfred

Adventurer
iPad vs Android really comes down to preference, and what software you need/own. I prefer the iPad Mini, but the Samsung is solid hardware, too. You might also consider the Google Nexus 7, which I think was a little better than the Samsung.

Keep in mind you'll probably be buying software either way. Word and Powerpoint don't really run on either, though there are alternatives.

Whichever you choose, I recommend a high-quality keyboard. I use the Apple Bluetooth one, which is a little larger than the tablet, but really nice to use. There are folding keyboard cases ("Origami") that support the tablet. I'm a keyboard person, and I use Evernote for most of my note-taking needs - it's nice that it works on any device you've mentioned, and phone, and desktop, and web.

If you really need Word/Excel/Powerpoint - consider a netbook. They're really inexpensive now. They don't work as well for dashboard nav, though.

haven

Expedition Leader
"I would like to use it for mapping and gps..."

The $300 iPad Mini does not have a GPS receiver. You have to step up to the model that has cellular modem to get GPS. So the real comparison is between a $200 Android tablet and a $459 iPad Mini.

kbahus

Adventurer
"I would like to use it for mapping and gps..."

The $300 iPad Mini does not have a GPS receiver. You have to step up to the model that has cellular modem to get GPS. So the real comparison is between a $200 Android tablet and a $459 iPad Mini.

You guys all bring up good points, but this is the deal breaker and something I didn't realize. Evernote looks pretty good and I will also look into a keyboard as I do enjoy having one. I have used a Netbook for quite some time at work and hate it, I feel my Iphone does a better job of computing sadly, plus I like the ability to mount the tablet in the truck easily.

NCtrail4R

Adventurer
Have seen the 8gb G Tab3 for $159 lately. Seems like a great buy for quality hardware. Only 8gb on board, but still has a card slot for a 64gb card, so plenty of storage.

RobRed

Explorer
mapping / nav app availability on the android is very limited compared to the iOS offerings.

I myself use iPad for nav but a Galaxy Note 3 for a phone.

ert01

Adventurer
mapping / nav app availability on the android is very limited compared to the iOS offerings.

I myself use iPad for nav but a Galaxy Note 3 for a phone.

Orux maps works quite well on android.

I have a Samsung tab 2 7.0 that I use as navigation in my jeep. Built in GPS and SD card expansion were the deal sealers for me. It helps that its incredibly cheap to buy also!

I was very happy with my wifi iPad 2 for computing and day to day uses, but a lack of proper GPS and no memory expansion killed its usefulness for navigation.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles