LED Flood Lights for a Teardrop Trailer

matthewp

Combat Truck Monkey
I'm not looking for something to make my campsite look like daylight. I want some lights for each side of my teardrop to add a bit of light. I want LEDs to save amp consumption. Any suggestions would be great!

Thanks in advance.

skersfan

Supporting Sponsor
Ask for Frank, tell him Bob the steel tear drop guy, sent you. Great guy, I buy my Progressive Dynamics boxes, seals and latches from him. Very fair, very quick to respond. Highly recommend them.

Flyfishjeep

Adventurer
I was looking for the same a while ago and came across these at Northern Tool. Price was right so I bought 4 of them. Well the rubberized housing is great, but I found that not all of the individual LEDS worked, but they do throw out a ton of bright white light. I mounted 2 to the back of my trailer and I made two of them mountable with spring clamps and connect them with long leads so that I can plug them inot a 12 volt source and move them around camp. I got what I paid for, but overall they work fine.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200407598_200407598

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
Grote and Trucklite both make work lights that are reliable.

I almost never use my "porch" lights on the sides of my teardrop. In two years, 15,000 miles, maybe two times ---- and that was just to park the trailer.

What I do use are the lights in the hatch for cooking. And the light that was installed by the factory is horrible; the light just shines right in your eyes.
So I mounted an LED task light and switched it independently. The light was just a sportscar gizmo light that I got at an autoparts store; I tinted the lens a little bit yellow to soften the color.
I just bought a pair of 4" white strip LEDs and a pair of red ones at Wallyworld. I'm going to remove the big galley light and mount them in the hatch, wired separately. Together they make very good CRI type light; and I can leave just the red ones on for a comfortable glow at night that doesn't steal night vision or intrude on the camp.

silvrzuki77

explorer
I built my own.
null_zpsd4fd8278.jpg

Tested in my pitch black garage.
null_zpsa8d104fc.jpg

Total cost 13 bucks a light.

Check this link out if your interested
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/tow-...r-cheap-led-interior-lights-build-thread.html

jim65wagon

TundraBird1
I was looking for the same a while ago and came across these at Northern Tool. Price was right so I bought 4 of them. Well the rubberized housing is great, but I found that not all of the individual LEDS worked, but they do throw out a ton of bright white light. I mounted 2 to the back of my trailer and I made two of them mountable with spring clamps and connect them with long leads so that I can plug them inot a 12 volt source and move them around camp. I got what I paid for, but overall they work fine.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200407598_200407598

Similar, and from Northern, we use these. If your looking for just a little light these are probably more than you want. We use ours as back up lights for those after dark camp site arrivals, flood lights to wash dishes by, or when we're asleep and we hear something wandering around the campsite. A flick of the switch in the cabin and those critters outside are blinded temporarily.

9079115733_500cedc04a.jpg

9081342310_74cf0f9364.jpg

Last edited:

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
Jim's idea of cheap-n-stinky lights is right-on. You don't need more than that.

I also built my own but I made them stupid-bright. And you only need that to stun a bear and shoot it...

Pikeman

Adventurer
I like the Vision X products, they have a 2" 10 watt LED that comes in flood or Spot. These are good for a little additional light around the campsite.

VanIsle_Greg

I think I need a bigger truck!
I installed 6 of these on my trailer, down nice and low for all around the trailer camp lighting.

led-car-bulb-license-plate-light-lpc-w2-2.jpg

http://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/tail-brake-turn/2-smd-led-license-plate-light/250/

I know it sounds odd, license plate lights, but I got the idea while looking at my buddies trailer. He had just installed one for...wait for it...his license plate. I thought, wow...great light output and super low consumption. They are sealed and waterproof and CHEAP. They look great and put out enough light for finding your stuff and finding your way around.

Planning on getting an adjustable light with a flood beam for those times when you need a LOT of light not just ambient light.

WLA-12W-SM-LED-WORK-LIGHT-2.jpg

http://www.superbrightleds.com/more...led-aimable-work-light-with-handle/1226/2871/

I was also impressed with Superbrightleds.com for their prices, product and their shipping. Had to RMA one of the license plate lights as it was DOA, so we will see what their return process is like? Oh and they ship from St Louis, not offshore.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles