1988 Packmule expedition conversion

BoarderMX

Observer
Still grinding (literally at times) away on the trailer and have a few more updates done. It goes in for paint next weekend so trying to get all the holes drilled before that.

Top re-installed and inside the bed and inside of the lid bedlined.

Installed the Thule aeroblade roof rack system and deployed the front and rear stabilizer legs, took the piece of Starboard I have for the slide out floor and put it up on the rack. The GF and I climbed up to make sure the lid would hold the weight without any further modifications before painting. Must have been quite the sight grinning like a fool, sitting on top of a trailer in the driveway... Thankfully, it was night by the time we tested it. Oh and my plate came in as well.

Front view, I need to get the ratchet straps shortened to fit. Oh yeah, got the front wheel installed again, nice not to have to get the jackstand out everytime. The trimax locking wheel chocks add a little peace of mind for when it is sitting at home or as a base camp.

And today, I got the floor installed. Big milestone for me. Sat on it and had the GF pull it in and out, works great. I'll need to put a small block in the very back where it is unsupported by the slides but otherwise, this part is done.
Fully extended

Pushed in.

The plumbing connection holes are drilled but I'll wait until it is painted before assembling that. On to the electrical.

BoarderMX

Observer
Very nice work. I like the slide out platform, Very handy.
Color matching the Jeep?

Thanks, I'm hoping to build some fender tables that will be stowed underneath the floor until needed. It goes in next Saturday for a coat of Deep Cherry Red Crystal Pearl paint. When it gets back I can assemble the rest of the waiting parts like the roof rack, gas cans, water connections, etc. I also have the battery box just about ready for mounting. I need to get some use out of it before winter moves in.

VanIsle_Greg

I think I need a bigger truck!
Super kool build. I think you will be happy with the Timbren Axle-Less setup. I have a buddy who runs an early setup on his pod, and following him down a washboard gravel road at speed...they were amazing. Shocks should not be needed, these do an excellent job all on their own. Love the setup with the tank etc. As noted before, it is like you read my mind!!

:D

Jred

Nice build. I have a packmule with no suspension that I gave been wondering what direction to take. Your suspension idea looks great. Thanks.

BoarderMX

Observer
Super kool build. I think you will be happy with the Timbren Axle-Less setup. I have a buddy who runs an early setup on his pod, and following him down a washboard gravel road at speed...they were amazing. Shocks should not be needed, these do an excellent job all on their own. Love the setup with the tank etc. As noted before, it is like you read my mind!!

:D
Great to hear, I have yet to give it the offroad test, that will come when I get it back from the painter. I ordered the lights you had and plan on going back to back on a few of them since the holes are in the tub anyway and wiring them to separate switches for inside and outside lights.

Nice build. I have a packmule with no suspension that I gave been wondering what direction to take. Your suspension idea looks great. Thanks.

Nice to see another packmule owner, let me know if I can help in any way with your build. I was originally going to go with just adding shocks to the leaf springs but then saw the Timbren system in another thread. There is a wealth of ideas on this site.

VanIsle_Greg

I think I need a bigger truck!
Another trip this past weekend with my buddy Mike and his Timbren suspended Offroad Pod. He said loaded up on rocky washboard FSR it handled like it was glued to the road. I watched him in my rearview mirror all the way home, that little trailer tracks like a dream. Depending on how heavy your trailer is you might consider shocks, but with the size and weight I really doubt they are necessary. They handle the damping and the suspension duties well.

Lights I used worked out excellent this weekend!!

BoarderMX

Observer
It's been a couple of long weeks of working on the trailer getting ready for a run at the end of September. I had hoped to get a few test runs in first but it turned out that it got tested on the first trip. Picture heavy post but haven't had much of a chance to update the build page till now. Oh and it is red now as well.

The battery box platform

No going back now, the hole to get the fridge and trailer lighting to the battery box

Battery box installed with a 20 watt solar panel on the lid to aid with charging. Plugged in with the external charge port as well.

The inside of the battery box. External waterproof LED 6 position switch panel, external cig lighter port, external dual usb port all controlled by a master cut switch, 12 position fuse panel, hellroaring battery isolator/combiner, solar charger with battery gauge, genuis shore power charger and 800 watt inverter. Oh and two blue tops.

The light wiring. Thanks to GregB for the hint on the lights, I ran 7 outside and went back to back on 3 for the inside.

The inside lights

External lights, 3 on each side and one in front. This also shows the switch panel lit up and the shore power, usb and cig ports.

Cig lighter port and truck fridge mounting plate installed. There is enough cord to still fully pull the floor out.

Truck Fridge 50 Liter installed. Just fits under the lid and bleh you have to pop the lid a hair to slide it out. Oh well.

The quick connect for the water output.

The water inlet and vent which are right underneath the water output. Pull the lever down to open, up to shut. The locks also keep the dirt out.

The water fill only works with a pressurized water source so what to do if there is only a pour-in water source? (filtered water from stream, campground, etc.) Well the JK has a 5 gallon pour-in water tank in the rear bumper so... add another pump and make it so the jeep can fill the trailer!

Switch on the s-pod

Quick connector under the bumper

Pump and strainer

Coil hose connected

Pretty good pressure. Problem solved.

Getting the Tepui Kukenam Sky Tent at the factory in Santa Cruz.

Finally hit the trails and the beach with the rig!

Overall very pleased with how everything worked. The timbren suspension was great, not real extreme trails but some good ruts and small drops which it handled very well. Freaking poured one night and everyone who didn't sleep in their jeep and was on the ground got soaked, we were high and dry in the tepui. Still have a few more mods to go (gas cans, etc.) but it was nice to use it instead of welding and wrenching for once.

SamM

Adventurer
Very nice build! Glad to hear that the Timbren suspension works as well as it does. I have decided to use the same suspension under my surplus 2011 Schutt Industries LTT-HC military trailer. The Timbren suspension solves a lot of problems with my build. Mostly, width and weight problems. My trailer has a very heavy TorFlex axle with 8-lug wheels that I don't want to keep. The Timbren parts will let me match the track width of the Schutt trailer to my 2013 Jeep MOAB.

Thanks for posting your trailer build. It's helped me a great deal. If you don't mind, where did you get the Timbren components? eTrailer has these parts at very reasonable prices. I'll probably buy from them.

Again, great build. Thanks for posting about it!

SamM

BoarderMX

Observer
Thanks Sam, I got the Timbren from Etrailer as I couldn't get them cheaper elsewhere, they throw in free shipping to boot and with the weight of it, that helped a lot. Good luck with your build and let me know if I can help/answer any questions.

bigtrkltltrl

Observer
Great build. Where do you store your stabilizer legs when not in use. Mine are too short now that it is lifted and when they fold under the trailer (shrank down) they almost touch. And I need to add 9" to each.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

BoarderMX

Observer
I have the same issue with the support leg length that you face. I used clevis pins to hold the legs in the bracket so when not in use they currently go in a bag in the trailer. Since I used clevis pins for the support feet as well to let them pivot, a phase II idea is to see if I can install these clamps to hold the legs up under the trailer frame where they overlap and then drop them down to add the feet before use. The legs are 1" square tubing so I think it may work. If you find a better solution, please let me know. Thanks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier