InReach SE - Anyone got one yet?

dstock

Explorer
Alright, since no one has responded, I guess I'll be forced to buy one and let you all know how it works!

NW European

Observer
I have one I got a few weeks ago. It did require an update to the firmware, but that was easy at home. I have only used it one weekend to test tracking and a few messages. Seems to do everything it is advertised to do. I paired it with an iPad and like it all so far.

dstock

Explorer
Got mine last night, setup went well including the firmware update. Haven't had a chance to test it out yet, but so far my experience is a good one.

dstock

Explorer
Used the InReach SE to track me around town this weekend, worked as expected. Having the display on the unit itself is a huge improvement over my 1st generation Spot. Being able to see that the unit is tracking, last tracking point sent, when next point will be sent, etc., is much more confidence inspiring than a couple of blinking lights.

It paired easily with both my Droid Razr Maxx and my Sony Tablet S, although you can only save one pairing at a time. Hopefully that will change in a firmware update down the road. I don't expect it to connect to both at the same time, nor would I need it to do so, but it would be nice not to have to re-pair to switch between the two. That said, it only takes a minute to do, so not a big deal.

So far it appears the Ram cradle/mount is exclusively available on the Delorme site, which sucks because I don't need the whole setup, just the cradle as I have plenty of Ram mounts and arms (too many really) but I am going to give them a call and see if they will sell me just the cradle.

More to follow when I play with the text messaging...

madmax718

Explorer
I've been trying to decide between the Inreach SE vs a PLB- I kinda like the inreach more, but was confused about its "pre programmed" messages. Is there only one message, or can you have multiple pre programmed messages?

dstock

Explorer
Haven't messed much with the pre-programmed messages, I believe there are 3 messages you can pre-program to say what you want. Then of course you have the option to type any message of your choosing whenever you like. Typing on the Inreach is a little slow like the old days of texting on cell phones, but it works. Linking it to your smartphone, you can type much faster in the Earthmate app, just like regular smart phone texting. I have to say it's pretty slick.

madmax718

Explorer
the pre programmed are free- the txt is limited. I guess they charge you for incomming texts as well.

The whole linking to your cell phone is great, but if you drop your cell phone in a stream, your toast. And I guess if you really needed this device for its SOS purposes.. I'll take a little redudancy!

dstock

Explorer
You don't need the cell phone at all, especially for SOS, it's just a nice option.

I went with the Recreation plan which has 40 texts per month which will cover me most of the time. I don't plan on texting that much but nice to know I can if I needed.

madmax718

Explorer
Still over 300 bucks a year for service alone a year. +300 for device. 600 for year 1.

Spot 3 + service =300 year one, + 250 for ACR ResQlink.

Spot connect with basic tracking would be the closest thing to the in reach- still requires a phone (just like the basic in reach).

Its all very confusing. If I have a PLB and SPot, and I have the Spot SAR whatever insurance, and I pull both, who pays?

SARguru

Observer
Madmax, in North America no one has to pay for their rescue. Their have been cases where in the US a fine is imposed to the rescuee such as going out of bounds at a ski resort and requiring rescue. If you had an accident and required medical aid and deployed the plb and/or the spot you would get the same as if you called 911 using a cell phone, prob only a bill for the towing of your vehicle or ambulance transport. No SAR team charges for their service, you can find lots more info on this and the posisiton of SAR team in charging for services in the web. There was a recent position paper on MRA website.

Nic

dstock

Explorer
Still over 300 bucks a year for service alone a year. +300 for device. 600 for year 1.

Spot 3 + service =300 year one, + 250 for ACR ResQlink.

Spot connect with basic tracking would be the closest thing to the in reach- still requires a phone (just like the basic in reach).

How much is your life worth?

Sorry, but having had a life threatening injury while mountain biking many years ago, just before cell phones became popular, I will gladly pay $300 a year for service, or .82 a day. I was lucky, unlike our normal rides in the middle of nowhere, we were riding in an area near a housing tract, but I can still tell you laying in the dirt bleeding out internally while my friend went for help will change ones perspective.

I hope to never need to hit SOS button on the Inreach, but being able to communicate with first responders and know that the message got through are worth the added expense to me. The addition of the display on the InReach SE, negating the need for a cell phone to send and receive specific text messages is also worth the additional cost.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke