InReach SE - Anyone got one yet?

madmax718

Explorer
Can the in reach be plugged in permanently? Since it has a USB power feed, could I plug it into my car charger, and leave the unit running all the time? I would then have trails crumbs all the time!

dstock

Explorer
Can the in reach be plugged in permanently? Since it has a USB power feed, could I plug it into my car charger, and leave the unit running all the time? I would then have trails crumbs all the time!

I would think so, I'll give it a try. It's interesting to note on the back of the unit are 4 pins that look like they could be used for charging, perhaps a future accessory in the works?

madmax718

Explorer
I was thinking it was a poor mans asset tracking device. I think its cheaper than most other items, and it has multi use.

racemedic

Observer
Since you have had yours for a while now. Are you able to send 1 text but have it go to several people as opposed to sending the same text to 3 or 4 people individually?

dstock

Explorer
Since you have had yours for a while now. Are you able to send 1 text but have it go to several people as opposed to sending the same text to 3 or 4 people individually?

I believe you can, but I will test it out this weekend and report back.

VidereStudios

I believe you can, but I will test it out this weekend and report back.

Any word on this? Definitely interested in the InReach SE now that the vehicle powered mount is available. Would like to be able to send to a few family members monitoring my trip.

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
Yes, you can send messages, and pre-set messages, to multiple recipients. Very easy to do. You can also have multiple people tracking your progress.

dcoy

Adventurer
Bump. Anyone else with experience with this? Aside from the enthusiastic review on EXPO and Overland Journal, I have noted a scatter of online reviews on various sites. The most concerning feedback I've seen is a few that said the device failed to function after initial setup. That would be concerning with a device that is supposed to be life saving. I'm on the verge of pulling the trigger but I am not completely comfortable based on those reviews. The two-way communication aspect is desirable and makes the device more flexible, but I'm tempted to get a "boring" PLB that is possibly more dependable.

dstock

Explorer
Bump. Anyone else with experience with this? Aside from the enthusiastic review on EXPO and Overland Journal, I have noted a scatter of online reviews on various sites. The most concerning feedback I've seen is a few that said the device failed to function after initial setup. That would be concerning with a device that is supposed to be life saving. I'm on the verge of pulling the trigger but I am not completely comfortable based on those reviews. The two-way communication aspect is desirable and makes the device more flexible, but I'm tempted to get a "boring" PLB that is possibly more dependable.

I believe those reviews with device failures were the very early adopters and were resolved before the vast majority of the devices shipped.

I have done several firmware updates as they release new features and have had zero issues. It's nice that they are "upgradeable" and appear to be listening to feedback regarding features.

It may just be they are working so no news means no problems.

Just my 2 cents of course.

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
I think if you sort through the recent reviews you will see a smaller number of negative reviews relative to the initial set-up. When we started evaluating the SE for the OJ review last summer, they had largely removed many of those issues from the set up process.

There are some minor quirks to the system. Because the device can't just forward all of your emails and messages, think of that headache, you have to somewhat channel your emails and messages through a dedicated SE channel. Not a big deal, but I think not all users are very intuitive and struggle with how this process works. I think they assume it's just like getting a new mobile phone, which it certainly is not.

I still don't think any other device can hold a candle to it.

Wanna buy a SPOT device on the cheap. :)

dcoy

Adventurer
I believe those reviews with device failures were the very early adopters and were resolved before the vast majority of the devices shipped.

I have done several firmware updates as they release new features and have had zero issues. It's nice that they are "upgradeable" and appear to be listening to feedback regarding features.

It may just be they are working so no news means no problems.

Just my 2 cents of course.

Thanks.

luk4mud

Explorer
I have had and used mine several times in the last few months. All works well from what I can tell but I just use the basic features- bluetooth connection to an android tablet and to view the maps and text to my wife each night I am out.

NW European

Observer
I've had one now for 6+ months, and it works great whenever I use it. Usually just a weekend adventure here and there, but also a full two week trip and it was on the whole time, and never missed a beat. Sent and received messages, and have it connected to an older iPad (1st gen!) and it does what it is supposed to do. I wish the interface and software were a little more user friendly, but it works and that is what matters.

aaronrules

Can this thing be used as a handheld GPS? If it can be a PLB with limited texting, handheld GPS, and I can connect it to my iPad/iphone via Bluetooth to use as a GPS reciever, this thing might be the one device to rule them all!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior