Wiring for a trailer

Steve Curren

Explorer
I am going to put a wiring connector on my TJ, I have a tire swing that covers most of the flat places on the back. I would like input from some of you skilled folks as to where I might mount it, I am thinking of drilling through the tire swing / bumper but I wasa waiting to see if there was maybe a better way.:confused:

Scott Brady

Founder
Hey Steve,

You may want to consider mounting the connector flush in the body, just below the passenger side tail light.

This one is my favorite, as it allows the 7-plug (for your trailer) and the use of a 4-plug, which is common to non-brake equiped units. Hoppy

hitches4less_1888_26560547

Here is a wiring diagram too :)

wiring_7pole.jpg

flyingwil

Supporting Sponsor - Sierra Expeditions
expeditionswest said:
Hey Steve,

You may want to consider mounting the connector flush in the body, just below the passenger side tail light.

This one is my favorite, as it allows the 7-plug (for your trailer) and the use of a 4-plug, which is common to non-brake equiped units. Hoppy

Funny I just bought that unit for this weekend!

Steve Curren

Explorer
Scott,
Thanks, that looks like a perfect place for the connector, the connector that I need to splice to is right there. I went to Jeep and got their connector, the wiring for the tralier side on yours is what the Jeep one says for the one on the vehicle. I will install it and if wrong I will plead total stupidity to Mario. I was also wondering what you used to secure the plug to the body, sheet metal screws or a nut and bolt?
Thanks again for all your help, :bowdown:
Steve

Gear

Explorer, Overland Certified OC0020
Hello Steve,
Did you install the 7 pin connector under the tail light and if so do you have any pictures. I plan on doing this as well, but for my 2003 Jeep Rubicon I will need to install it on the driver side. The passenger side has the carcoal emisions canaster. Look before drilling. By the way when is the first anual Chaser gathering. I am ready.:)

Thanks

Justin
2003 Jeep Rubicon
2006 Adventure Trailer Chaser #15

Steve Curren

Explorer
Justin,
Yes I did install the 7 pin, I just took a few pictures and please excuse the quality. It was strange, when I picked up my tralier from Mario there was a problem with the turn signals being opposite. He said that this was the second Jeep he had hooked up recently and the second Jeep to have pronlems with a factory harness, the other one had problems with the lights. I had a heck of a time installing the harness, I am not a dummy but I could not get it to properly function, I read and reread the directions until I was going blind and I still could not find the problem. I finally hooked the wiring up backwards, that is I hooked the wires into the connector on the drivers side and all worked properly when I put a meter on it. The directions plainly showed the wiring being hooked up on the passenger side. Mario had to modify the wires on the Chaser to work with the wiring from Chrysler.
As for the Chaser gathering I am ready and eager to get out and play so anytime is good for me.
Best of luck,
Steve

Steve Curren

Explorer
Guess I didn't get the picture on, I will try again... Never have been any good with a computer..

Steve

Attachments

• shotgun 011.jpg
    shotgun 011.jpg
    233.6 KB · Views: 93
  • shotgun 010.jpg
    shotgun 010.jpg
    169.9 KB · Views: 61

elcoyote

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0004
Hey guys, here's a couple of pix of trailer plugs sockets set up on TJ's, hope they provide inspiration. One is through the body, the other is attached to the rack. Personally if I was going through the body, I would install riv-nuts so I wouldn't need another tool on the backside. Riv-nuts also come with a o-ring type seal that'll keep your body tighter. Quinn told me that the OEM harness on some years is supposed to go on the passenger side and that it's a real pain to work around the charcol canister so plan some extra time for profanity...:ar15:

Attachments

• P1010041.JPG
    P1010041.JPG
    657 KB · Views: 93
  • P1010040.JPG
    P1010040.JPG
    698.4 KB · Views: 76

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles