How to Mount My Water Tank...Suggestions?

jet noise

Observer
I've used this trailer for a couple of years, and have made do where it falls short of my needs. But now I've decided to build it up just a bit more. I have a new tongue to add, a new Max Coupler, and a 12v battery. The new tongue will be long enough to allow me to set up the tent without the need to unhitch, handy for a single night setup. I have a good idea of how these things will mount up, but I'm looking for suggestions on how to attach my water tank.
The tank is an 8/16/36 inch rectangle and there's room to spare between the leaf spring hangers. I want it hugged up to the frame, directly over the axle, attached to the cross member(s) of the frame. I was thinking some metal strap like the stuff used to fasten cargo to warehouse pallets...but i think that might damage the plastic tank. I would love some suggestions on this. I'm not a welder but I can find one. I'm going to need to find one anyway for the tongue and battery box.
Here is the tank I have:
http://www.amazon.com/Valterra-R8036-ABS-Water-Tank/dp/B002N5LD1U

And this is the trailer. See the space above the axle and between the springs? That's where I want to mount it:
trailer 2.jpgott.jpg

Alastair D(Aus)

aging but active
Get a sheet metal shop to bend a U shaped piece of light guage galvanised steel that fits neatly around your tank and has a small flange at the top. This will protect the plastic and then you can just bolt/screw the metal to the bottom of the trailer. If the bottom is not smooth then put a piece of marine ply between the tank and frame. Mount it so the tank fittings come out the side. Simple and easy.

jet noise

Observer
Thanks, Alastair. I used a piece of birch plywood and some galvanized straps from the hardware store. While I was at it, I got my buddy (who can weld!) to weld on a new tongue that's long enough to set up the trailer without needing to unhitch, install a max coupler, and a small atv cargo rack to the tongue for miscellaneous junk! I love how it turned out! image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpgimage.jpg

loren85022

Explorer
I dont have a photo but my tank is held in place by rack that supports the tank from underneath. This also serves as a mild skid plate/rock guard.

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
If you have not done so (iPhone so the photos are too small for me to see) I would suggest that you grab a couple of bicycle tubes and line the steel strap. Maybe on the inside only if you are somewhere that moisture and rust could be an issue.

Adventuro-Us

The setup is nice! I really like that trailer. I have a concern though, do you know what your tank weighs when full? With that plastic tank after a while and with temp changes it will start to bulge. When this happens it may cause those straps to cause some damage.

I like Alister's idea of surrounding it with metal, it will support it, help it maintain shape, and will protect it from road debris. Maybe it could be an upgrade down the road? It would be easy to bend up with some c clamps and a few 2x4's also.

jet noise

Observer
The setup is nice! I really like that trailer. I have a concern though, do you know what your tank weighs when full? With that plastic tank after a while and with temp changes it will start to bulge. When this happens it may cause those straps to cause some damage.

I like Alister's idea of surrounding it with metal, it will support it, help it maintain shape, and will protect it from road debris. Maybe it could be an upgrade down the road? It would be easy to bend up with some c clamps and a few 2x4's also.

Thanks for the compliment! With the limited tools and skills I have, I am pretty satisfied with the way it came out. I love Allister's idea for mounting it, and maybe I can go that route a little later. Right now, I just fill it as close to location as I can get, and tow it empty. The tank is 18 gal US, so that's about 150lbs full.
For now, though, OTT is gonna sit for a while because I leave Monday for a year tour in Korea.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier