Is this 88 4x4 K5 blazer camper worth anything?

NYCO

Adventurer
I switched gears and sold my finch and Tacoma to get a fast car and a separate, dedicated camping/towing rig. I got the first part taken care of with an Audi S4 w/ a V8. Now i need something I can camp in and occasionally tow a dirt bike or 2 and some snowmobiles. Looking at astro vans, cargo vans, or a pickup and camper combo under $8000. I do need awd or 4x4. Found this K5 Blazer with a FWC on it. Haven't looked at it yet, but is this something I should stay away from? I'm not that concerned about it looking "clean".

http://pueblo.craigslist.org/cto/3905303294.html

Cole

Expedition Leader
While cool, some of your other options might be better.

I've had a couple of these old trucks and at this point....well.....they are old! Which means they are going to need a bit of work and suck a bunch of fuel. I loved my crew cab of this vintage but never drove it too far from home to do things like camp just do to the mileage and old school tech (and elevation, etc)

NYCO

Adventurer
Thanks. I'm not overly concerned about bad gas mileage since it's probably only going to be driven 20-25 times a year any real distance. At that price I could put some money into it if i need to, but I also don't want to get stuck out in the middle of nowhere because something goes wrong. Astro vans would probably be more reliable even though all the ones I tend to see are pretty high mileage. I also really like the pass through that this rig has.

pods8

Explorer
Unless you need the short wheel base I'd think a 4x4 conversion on a van would be the ticket. Some folks do flip up beds and even haul bike(s) internally.

77blazerchalet

Former Chalet owner
Well....... what is termed "minor body damage on drivers side" of that Colorado Springs one is not what I'd call minor. Then you have the price of that one relative to other '88 Blazers as seen in this eBay auction tracker site. On top of that, there is a decent chance that you could also find a different 4Wheel brand camper or another make elsewhere that would give you the same effect as that CO Springs one at a lower price. In my constant search for Blazer Chalets, I do turn up a decent amount of aftermarket slide-ins for Blazers.

By way of example, here is roughly the same setup with a Hallmark (?) camper for only $2500 in Las Cruces NM http://lascruces.en.craigslist.org/rvs/3920298610.html

3r13L13s55I75N75r5d775d48d624a22e1619.jpg

NYCO

Adventurer
I don't need a short wheel base, so a van is a good possibility as well. It just seems hard to find 4x4 vans that aren't really old or high mileage. I don't know that I want to take on the cost of the conversion myself since that's probably out of my budget. Not sure how i feel about driving with a dirt bike in the back of the van either. Mine seems to leak every now and then so I wouldn't want to get fumed out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles