The Lost XR

lostxr

Observer
The LOST XR

I am an old guy and I have heard stories all my life that start like this. “Hey, I know a guy that told me that a friend has a 1969 Corvette with only 1500 miles on it and it is for sale.” Could I ever find that ‘69 Vette? Of course not… those old stories never pan out. Well, Expedition Portal was looking for a Honda XR in good shape we could use as a test mule so we started spreading the word. In no time at all we had someone telling us they knew of a brand new 2009 XR 650L with only 830 miles on it and it was for sale. Right… here we go again. The guys took off with a truck and I really did not expect to see anything at all when they pulled back to the shop. After a couple of days on the road they returned with a nice XR with brand new factor plastic, 830 miles and it really was a 2009. Wow! I guess a blind hog does find an acorn every now and then. The Lost XR had been sitting in a warehouse for a couple of years but other than some heavy dust it was still a brand new bike. This would be a perfect test mule for us. Our plan was to build up the XR like the average person would and use it a lot. Is the XR the most perfect bike for everyone? No. Is it the perfect off road bike? No. And of course it is not the perfect road bike for dang sure. There are tons of great bikes on the market today but the ole XR is like a Swiss army knife. After some tire testing and a few other runs the XR got lost the second time in the back of the shop because of the heavy schedule the crew has to keep to get The Overland Journal out in time. Believe me everyone works their butts off here and it is not just fun and games. I would see the Lost XR every day and tell myself it needed to be ridden. After months of not doing anything about it I took a stand and said I am going to ride that bike every day and I have stuck to that and now is the time to get it set up for Adventures. Follow along and let’s see what direction the Lost XR takes now. But it will not be lost again.

HARDTRAILZ

Certified
“Hey, I know a guy that told me that a friend has a 1969 Corvette with only 1500 miles on it and it is for sale.” Could I ever find that ‘69 Vette? Of course not… those old stories never pan out. Well, Expedition Portal was looking for a Honda XR in good shape we could use as a test mule so we started spreading the word. In no time at all we had someone telling us they knew of a brand new 2009 XR 650L with only 830 miles on it and it was for sale. Right… here we go again.

Really...It is a 4 year old bike with miles on it. Nothing like a 44 year old Corvette. Hell dealerships around here still have left over new 2010 and 11 bikes and atvs advertised occasionally.

There is one on Ebay with 1200 miles right now.

Also a few 08s and some 2012's.

lostxr

Observer
T Lost XR

bar%20and%20risers.jpgsm_XR650L%20(1).jpgsm_XR650L3.jpgthca 069.jpg

I have always loved the XR's. Yes the bars are too low and the pegs are to high but they are a blast to ride and seem to last forever. Again, I know there are many newer and more up to date bikes out there and I am not taking away from them at all.
One of the first things we changed on this bike was the bars. We used the CR version of the Renthal fatbar. I have used these in the past on my 600 R and they will really take a beating. The CR version bar it a lot taller than the stock bar and makes for a more natural riding position while standing. I do a lot of standing while off road. Prescott offers some great trails for the big XR.

lostxr

Observer
To be honest...in this case the price. Got a good deal on it so went with it.
And yes you are right. They are still the same bike. Not many changes at all over the years.

SOAZ

Tim and Kelsey get lost..
Those were some good times with Porky. The new pig looks too shiny! We need to take it out and dull it up a bit!

View attachment 173185

I have always loved the XR's. Yes the bars are too low and the pegs are to high but they are a blast to ride and seem to last forever. Again, I know there are many newer and more up to date bikes out there and I am not taking away from them at all.
One of the first things we changed on this bike was the bars. We used the CR version of the Renthal fatbar. I have used these in the past on my 600 R and they will really take a beating. The CR version bar it a lot taller than the stock bar and makes for a more natural riding position while standing. I do a lot of standing while off road. Prescott offers some great trails for the big XR.

lostxr

Observer
When you come up the hill Tim, I have a great trail already picked out. A true single track just waiting for us.

lostxr

Observer
Here are the protective plates that I made to fit the lower cases and also the rear master cyl guard. Making my parts list right now of things I will be adding to this build.

plate1.jpgplate2.jpgplate3.jpg

lostxr

Observer
OK I live in AZ so I removed all the CA smog stuff from the XR and it really cleaned up the engine area. You can now see the engine from the left side.

engine.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior