I've caught the Jeep thing, now what?

Nuclear Redneck

Adventurer
I got a new Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport for my birthday. Now it's time to start modding it.

First up, Rubicon rock rails from Craigslist, with my daughter lending a very helpful hand.

Took it off road to Anza Borrego into Sandstone Canyon. First scratch was earned here on the driver's side fender flare. Under 400 miles on the clock.

Now I just need to decide on a direction for the build, sell my Tundra to fund said build, and make it happen.

Jeep is 6 spd manual, anti-spin differintial, with 3.73 gears. I've also added a Mopar hitch and will install a 7 pin trailer harness this weekend. Trek Armor seat covers in coyote with olive drab inserts are on order.

apalmer

Adventurer
Nice, congrats!

I bought my JK a few months ago and was a bit overwhelmed at what I could buy for it. The amount of products out there is staggering, as I'm sure you know. 3.73, and the anti-spin were must-haves for me, and I am pretty happy about having them. Good call. Got lucky with some Rubi Rock Rails on CL also! Best $75 spent so far!

Drive it for a couple months, then start to choose a path for what you want to do. It sounds like you have a nice opportunity to have a nice, planned out build.

Granted, this is coming from a guy who impulse bought a Rugged Ridge Snorkel two nights ago...

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
All of the best Expo rigs are white.... But seriously, the difference between our black Jeep and the tan Jeep are huge in the summer heat even with the factory tinted windows. Next you should look for a set of Rubicon take-off wheels and tires, that will satisfy the lust for bigger tires on a budget.

McZippie

Walmart Adventure Camper
Now what? You asked... About the same as most of us that own a JK.
Take a perfectly set-up Rig, that already will handle most any trail we are likely to actually wheel it on and spend countless $$$s
Modifying it for no real reason that makes any sense, except, we enjoy the process.

I've been Jonesing awhile now for new idea Jeep Fix... So of course, sell the Tundra to fund your build and post updates here.

Nuclear Redneck

Adventurer
aplamer, I hear you about the huge aftermarket. I've looked at was seems to be a million websites and my head is spinning. I'll be driving it and them trying to see where I want to go with it.

Black-ZJ, my only worry about using Rubicon take off wheels is that the back spacing is more than what most aftermarket lifts recommend. I want to try to buy wheels once. I suspect that I will put some slightly bigger tires on the stock rims and run it that way for a while. I'm thinking of something in the 235/85/R16 size. Still researching.

McZippie, you make a good point about modifying a perfectly capable vehicle. But I just want a little more ground clearance, better tires, maybe a roof rack, a fridge, some armor.....

GP'd

Adventurer
Welcome to the addiction!

Now what?

Drive it for 10,000+ miles until you know what you don't have on the current platform and now need for the driving you do.

If that is too far away...

AT Tires, AEV Dual Sport Suspension and some nice reservoir shocks would be a good start.

apalmer

Adventurer
aplamer, I hear you about the huge aftermarket. I've looked at was seems to be a million websites and my head is spinning. I'll be driving it and them trying to see where I want to go with it.

My plan for now is to see how far I can make it on the stock suspension...I find most of the "opportunity" for me lies with getting interior storage and some things sorted there. For the trips I'm doing, I have every confidence that the stock bits are fine for now. I'm contemplating taking the larger of the two rear seats out, and making a storage are and a couple things like that, while still being mindful of the somewhat low cargo rating these things have. I might look for a set of Rubicon Wheel/Tire take offs...I missed a set of 5 for $1000 by 20 minutes a couple of weeks ago.

nwoods

Expedition Leader
X2 on the AEV Suspension. Superior to stock in every way, and will provide that mild lift and plenty of articulation. Then 33" tires, and a high clearance front bumper, and your done..... for now.

Nuclear Redneck

Adventurer
My ride is now Magic!

I've got a princess wrenching on my ride! I shall never suffer a breakdown again. Unless it is after mid night. Or there is a wicked step-mother or evil fairy involved.

She really enjoys wrenching. And is getting better at using one hand to support the ratchet while she turns it.

And here is the rest of my pit crew: My son helping me to take out my brake controller from my Tundra as I prep it for sale:

Longtallsally

Adventurer
If you want a REAL cheap very moderate lift, you could get my Rubicon take off springs and shocks and brake lines. Shoot, a couple hundred bucks for the whole thing?

bobDog

Expedition Leader

Black-ZJ, my only worry about using Rubicon take off wheels is that the back spacing is more than what most aftermarket lifts recommend. I want to try to buy wheels once. I suspect that I will put some slightly bigger tires on the stock rims and run it that way for a while. I'm thinking of something in the 235/85/R16 size. Still researching.

McZippie, you make a good point about modifying a perfectly capable vehicle. But I just want a little more ground clearance, better tires, maybe a roof rack, a fridge, some armor.....
OMG....you have a severe infection.....no vaccine......no drugs.....you'll just have to sweat it out. You will know when you're cured when your wallet is empty and you put the card board sign saying "Have Jeep_Anything will Help" down and walk away. Good luck friend. You might be divorced by then. But your kids will love you!

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
OMG....you have a severe infection.....no vaccine......no drugs.....you'll just have to sweat it out. You will know when you're cured when your wallet is empty and you put the card board sign saying "Have Jeep_Anything will Help" down and walk away. Good luck friend. You might be divorced by then. But your kids will love you!

It can be addicting, but for some of us our Jeeps have made our marriages better by giving us an outlet. When I come in from working on one of the Jeeps I am less stressed and feel a sense of accomplishment. Then again, the only thing I haven't done myself on either Jeep was setting up the gears. You do have some folks though who get far into debt by paying someone else to do all of the work for them, now that can add stress to a marriage....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94