Replace heater thermostat with a switch?

Stereo

Adventurer
We just use our camper heater for a blast of warmth first thing in the morning. I want to get rid of the current old thermostat because the slider is sharpish metal and hard to push. If I don't need the temperature sensor, can I just replace the thermostat with a switch appropriate for the size of 12v wire that runs to and from it?

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
We just use our camper heater for a blast of warmth first thing in the morning. I want to get rid of the current old thermostat because the slider is sharpish metal and hard to push. If I don't need the temperature sensor, can I just replace the thermostat with a switch appropriate for the size of 12v wire that runs to and from it?

Sure, that would be the same as having the thermostat turned all the way up and just turning it on and off.

You could even get tricky and put a switch with a timer on it. :)

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
Hah, I'm waiting for you to pull the thermostat off to ask your next question. :)

Because you may find you need a double pole switch - depends how many wires are on the back of the thermostat. (so check that before you go shopping for switches)

pods8

Explorer
It's just two wires, a basic single pole switch is fine. I installed one in parallel to the thermostat on my old camper.

bill harr

Adventurer
$20 for a digital at Home Depot. Programable to come on just before I want to get up. Manual switch if I want it on.

craig333

Expedition Leader
Just make sure that switch can't be accidentally turned on. I imagine it'd get quite hot if left running for a long period. Stuff happens, had my old chest fridge accidentally get turned off, not fun either.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles