Real world mpg's on a Ford with a...

Village Idiot
They say once you get a full exhaust, tune, and cold air intake you improve mpg's. I won't. I'll be too busy rolling coal.

bdog1

Adventurer
The idi is fine but no barn burner! (I've had turbos and a 12valve cummins.) The idi won't compare to modern big HP diesels. I consider simplicity to be #1 asset. A Pump and a set of injectors can be had for the cost of ONE late model electronic injector. Also the idi seems to burn anything. I just mix 50/50 with diesel. I'm in FL not much hill work here.

NorthernWoodsman

Adventurer/tinkerer
50/50...what's the other 50?

Sounds like a cost effective motor. I've read what people pay for injectors on those PS 6.0... $3,500!, IIRC. I like simple and cost effective, but living in the PNW, would worry about getting up hills with a loaded vehicle. I know some add the Banks system and seem happy with that.

Any issues you've encountered with that motor?

The idi is fine but no barn burner! (I've had turbos and a 12valve cummins.) The idi won't compare to modern big HP diesels. I consider simplicity to be #1 asset. A Pump and a set of injectors can be had for the cost of ONE late model electronic injector. Also the idi seems to burn anything. I just mix 50/50 with diesel. I'm in FL not much hill work here.

bdog1

Adventurer
50/50. WMO. (Waste motor oil.) Really loves ATF. Swear it runs better on ATF. Check out "oil burners.net" their really into it there!!

T.Low

Expedition Leader
Since you guys are talking diesel swaps, there is a guy that swap in the Nissan diesel into a first generation Astro van. Claims he's getting 26 mpg. Said the Nissan diesel seemed like it was built For the Astro because it went in so easily.

In the end, it's a good looking little van. Should be easy enough to find on the Internet search.

Eaglefreek

Eagleless
Just think how much gas you could buy for the 300 with the money it will cost to do a diesel swap. Doing some quick calculations and assuming 13 mpg with the 300, 25 mpg (probably closer to 20 though) with the diesel and a VERY conservative cost of $3,000 for the swap, it would take 30,000 miles to break even. Lower mpg with the diesel and higher cost for swap and that figure grows. About 6 years ago I owned a 2wd 2000 Ford E250 EB with a 5.4L. I would average 13-15 and the best I ever got was 16 mpg. At the same time, I worked for a company and I drove their 1999 4x4 Ford E350 EB with 33" tires. It would average about 16 and the best it got was about 18 mpg. :smilies27

NorthernWoodsman

Adventurer/tinkerer
Yeah, but you just compared a 2wd to a 4wd. That ain't fair.

My original thought was to convert a 2wd "shorty" van to the 4BT. I think, if I kept the weight to a reasonable amount, that setup would yield some good numbers. I think I could easily get above 20mpg. And hopefully, I would break that 30k miles mark easily. I mean, travelling, is the point after all.

I think I still want 4wd to be honest though. When the time comes and I'm ready to buy, I think I will look for a diesel 2wd to build up and eventually convert to 4wd. I want winter capability and 2wd in the PNW just won't cut it.

Just think how much gas you could buy for the 300 with the money it will cost to do a diesel swap. Doing some quick calculations and assuming 13 mpg with the 300, 25 mpg (probably closer to 20 though) with the diesel and a VERY conservative cost of $3,000 for the swap, it would take 30,000 miles to break even. Lower mpg with the diesel and higher cost for swap and that figure grows. About 6 years ago I owned a 2wd 2000 Ford E250 EB with a 5.4L. I would average 13-15 and the best I ever got was 16 mpg. At the same time, I worked for a company and I drove their 1999 4x4 Ford E350 EB with 33" tires. It would average about 16 and the best it got was about 18 mpg. :smilies27

Eaglefreek

Eagleless
Yeah, but you just compared a 2wd to a 4wd. That ain't fair.

Who me? If so, you'll will notice that my 2wd 3/4 ton got less MPG than the company one ton 4x4 on 33's same engine and same body as my 3/4 ton. No idea why though. I've owned many vans over the years, but never a 6 cyl. Fords with 5.0l , (2)5.8L, 5.4L, 7.3l diesel and drove company vans such as a Dodge with a 360 and a GMC with a 6.0L. In most cases I would average 13 mpg no matter which engine/transmission combo. It's a brick driving down the road.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94