Overland Utility Trailer Build

pdsftw

Adventurer
Long time lurker, first time poster here on the forum. Have gotten tons of good ideas and advice over the months - this is an amazing resource - just wish I had more time to soak in all the info. Anyway, I decided that I need to force myself to post some details of the trailer build I have been planning for about 6 months and working on for about 4. Been really wanting to take some time over the next few years to explore all the parts of the country I have either only ready about or didnt get enough time to appreciate (obviously I am chasing a dragon here, but you get the idea). I thought about Sprinter van conversions, sportsmobiles, etc, but, after looking at trailers, I thought it would be the best entry into the overlanding world - both for my pocket book and (as is yet to be proven) I really want to have a decent utility trailer for use around town. So, without further ado - here is a look into my trailer build - I am calling it a sort of overland/utility hybrid. Hopefully it's turns out to be a good compromise between the two uses.

When I set out, I looked at tons of options as I said. I really liked some of the AT Trailers - really sweet rigs (especially those teardrops), but my issue is that I wanted to be able to haul things like boats, bikes, and an odd load of gravel/lumber/etc. To me, the trailer options out there are very specific - and when you arent on the road, they basically take up garage/drive space. Maybe I should have just opted to get a truck and forget about it, but I decided to give it a shot.

First, I made some rough drawings. I knew I wanted to have all the options you can get on a fully built trailer: tent, awning, galley, water, etc. but I needed to incorporate a trailer bed sized space. Randomly, I started thinking about utility beds you see on commercial vehicles. A quick look at some websites and I knew it might work, but I definitely knew I didnt want to get one new. The idea was to find a used bed and build a frame around it. After some craigslist scoping I ended up finding a very used bed that happened to fit the dimensions I was looking for...for what I think was a steal: $200.

Here she was as she sat (on drilling pipes) - definitely a little worse for the wear, but the metal (mostly galvanized steel) looked good.

kLJ4xOH.jpg

So, after a lot...and I mean, a lot of work, we managed to slide it onto a flat bed and haul it back to the shop (aka, my buddy's house - he would be helping me with the fabrication). Took some measurements and started chopping and putting together a frame. Mocked up a simple frame on a 3500lb Axle mounted to a 6x5.5 bolt pattern for my toyota. Just some generic steel wheels, but I am not really into the bling - some electric dums brakes on there as well.

DYXQXTR.jpg

Test fit:

7jfqtXk.jpg

Here are some shots of the progress:

AULqXza.jpg

t4y9eH6.jpg

pUNdCcF.jpg

Took the diamond plate bed out of the middle - super heavy stuff:

LB7Ngx6.jpg

iefBcA7.jpg

Hopefully you can get the idea of where it's headed....

Stay tuned for progress coming soon (just wanted to split the thread into a few posts for time's sake).

jeeps4fun

Adventurer
Subscribed. Exactly what I've been planning to do, but I'm mounting my WilderNest on top. I've been searching for a Utility bed that has already been converted to a trailer using the stock frame for simplicity, but will watch this to see how you go about the frame and Locating the axle.

Really trying to locate an aluminum bed too, but they are really rare :(

Arya Ebrahimi

Adventurer
Good stuff! Those pics bring back a lot of memories(some good, some bad lol). Have you seen my build? or is it just a complete coincidence that they're very similar? Either way, good luck with the build, and if I can offer any advice I'd be happy to.

pdsftw

Adventurer
Arya, I WISH I had seen your thread - not sure how I missed it. Really nice build quality from what I saw and great outfitting. It's amazing - tons of the same ideas. I like your integrated fuel and water storage under the bed. I actually ended up lowering my bed down about a foot to make loading easier and to gain some height under the roof rack.

Where are you with your build? Do you have pictures you havent posted? I definitely have some questions for you about the sink and some of the electrical. After seeing the thread and am rethinking some things. For instance, I had always intended for the galley to be on the side with the shorter horizontal box, but after seeing your build I might move it to the other side.

pdsftw

Adventurer
@Jeeps4fun Yeah, an aluminum bed would be great - this trailer is NOT going to be light. But honestly, I think that some people overbuild their rigs (obviously) by overestimating their needs/wants/capabilities. This rig is not intended for serious off road, crawling stuff, but I would estimate that MAYBE 5% of the trails that people take their vehicles/trailers on is serious enough to need the builds they have. I love gear as much as the next, but some things are just overkill.

I do a lot of cycling and it always make me chuckle to see the weight weanie guys who talk about saving 200g on their components....meanwhile they have a beer gut...Did they ever think that they could loose the ENTIRE weight of their bike off their stomach?

pdsftw

Adventurer
Alright, moving to part 2 of the build post:

So, after we got a rolling chasis and eliminated some of the weight, it was time to start customizing. My plan was to convert the front two boxes into a 'through-box'. Both doors are the same size and location on each side so we decided to just cut the backs out and built it into a trailer-wide box for things like the fridge and clothing/food/gear storage.

Here are some shots of what it looked like all cut away:

iefBcA7.jpg

xtGxByd.jpg

Next, I wanted to strip the old paint. It was a ton of scraping and grinding, but got 99% of it off. Nasty job.

oPBfsPW.jpg

Along the way, we test fit the water tank and tongue box. Went with what I think I remember is an 18 gallon tank that will be mounted behind the aluminium tongue box. Trying to decide what exactly I will store in the tongue, could be all the electrical or could be just storage/balast for balancing the trailer properly. You can also see the round jack points we attached at the front corners (on the rear as well - see below):

MleQSVq.jpg

Cutting the holes for the lights - also added small marker lights on the back and sides. Will likely have similar clear ovals for reverse lights.

aAABfuk.jpg

Thinking about having the galley on this side, but might change my plans after seeing this build! Mobile Base Camp Build

25exif1.jpg

I wanted to maintain the stock 4' width on the bed but with the through-box we were planing, we would loose about 2' up front. So, we decided to extent the bed:

HBgfMVa.jpg

Here is another view - tacked on a 2" receiver for...you never know what - maybe a bike rack, etc etc. Rear bumper is a little thicker walled rectangular tubing and we re-enforced it to handle and loads backs there. Also, you can see some wires coming out of one of the 3 holes for the rear marker lights.

9GYslnw.jpg

Here is how the rear of the box sits on the square tubing.

Q4V2uTb.jpg

Alright, back to work...will post more updates shortly.

jeeps4fun

Adventurer
Crap. No time to read all the new stuff right now, but the "through" box for the fridge was exactly what I told the wife last night. Actually found a mounted fiberglass box with a through box already! Could even make it so I would have access from inside.

Keep the pics and story going, gettin me pumped about starting my build!

VanIsle_Greg

I think I need a bigger truck!
kool build. There was a guy selling one of these locally, asking $2500, but it was converted to a trailer already and was on GM Wheels and a 3500# axle. It was NICE and freshly painted etc. He used it for a construction site tool box on wheels, but it was MINT. If I were looking, I would have grabbed it!

Arya Ebrahimi

Adventurer
Arya, I WISH I had seen your thread - not sure how I missed it. Really nice build quality from what I saw and great outfitting. It's amazing - tons of the same ideas. I like your integrated fuel and water storage under the bed. I actually ended up lowering my bed down about a foot to make loading easier and to gain some height under the roof rack.

Where are you with your build? Do you have pictures you havent posted? I definitely have some questions for you about the sink and some of the electrical. After seeing the thread and am rethinking some things. For instance, I had always intended for the galley to be on the side with the shorter horizontal box, but after seeing your build I might move it to the other side.

Great minds think alike!

My trailer is what I would call a 90% complete prototype. It is fully functional as a trailer, and we have taken it camping several times, but the finishes are not what I would refer to as complete. I also never flushed out the galley cabinet or completed the sink. The water system is otherwise operational though and we have made do with the hand held sprayer for dishes and quick showers. Life has taken me in other directions for the past 2 years, but I am slowly steering back towards the trailer. We are planning to take it west again in August, hoping to get all the way to the Pacific this time.

I love your through cabinet idea. Mine is basically evolving in the same direction, but things would have been a lot easier if I had just planned it that way from the get go.

Interesting idea. I'm very curious how this will perform once completed.

Sent via fat thumb

It should work pretty well. I have been very pleased with the performance of mine both on and off road.
IMG_0988.jpg
IMG_1021.jpg
view from camp small.jpg

loren85022

Explorer
We may need to create a Util-trailer forum if more people keep catching on. Here's how I laid out my kitchen...........

2013-07-06 08.46.39.jpg2013-07-06 18.57.31.jpg

I just finished the shelving for the kitchen compartment. Its 1/4" starboard. The sink uses 1/2" starboard. Cleans up great. Eventually i want to put a frig in the forward compartment. For now we use a cooler. In the rear I have a 3'x3' piece of plywood that slides in/out below the compartment. The cooklikes it for the stove. Or she uses the portable table.

Your frame seems proper. You are correct to keep it low IMO. Its a pain to have anything to high.

We just finished an 8 night, 1,700 mile jaunt across CO & UT. The camp cook loved the new amenities. Which mean we get to go again.

Be prepared to give tours. Almost every time we fill up, or stay in a campground people want to see and know more.

Keep the progress reports coming!

pdsftw

Adventurer
@loren - trailer looks great! Thanks for the suggestion on the Starboard...Ive been looking for something like that. Having spent a lot of time sailing, I am not sure why I didnt think of a product like that. I was also contemplating buying some used Corian counter top and cutting it up. I think I might try and use it for a cutting board and on my slide out drawer - see below.

So...what's did we do next....let's see.

We needed to tackle the fenders. The trailer had some rips and dents around the fenders and I wanted to get some more clearance, etc. We decided to put the pipe bender to use and came up with what I think it a pretty usable and good looking design - integrated a step for getting up top easily.

HB9Eu09.jpg

Making some very precise measurements:

cjpw9zT.jpg

The finished fender (well, mostly done):

M5VtBWc.jpg

While we were doing that, we got to thinking about where to mount a spare. Steel wheels and larger tires get pretty heavy so we decided to try and keep the mount low. We couldnt mount the tire up front as we have a storage box and all that....so, it struck me that we could try to do a swingout on the back. This would help balance the trailer, allow for storage (jerry cans, tire, hi-lift) and keep things inside the 4x7 flat bed secure. We were thinking about a pre-runner style mount like to see below, but we have since gone with a traditional vertical mount for maximizing the bed space.

m8KZFZ9.jpg

Added an additional tube for the tongue to help with rigidity as well as holding the box/water on the tongue. YOu can also see the leveling jacks on each side in action (have them on all 4 corners to allow for leveling....also makes tire changes a BREEZE):

djJ6TNL.jpg

Covered the bed with a flat sheet - add expanded steel for traction later:

3aAaeWR.jpg

To help with bouncing, etc we decided to mount some shocks. I had them laying around after a swap out on my 4Runner so I figured why not - plus I guess if I lost a shock on the vehicle I could always swap out in a pinch.

KaM51Xz.jpg

Then it was on to paint. I got a few quotes but just couldnt swallow the price - I could buy a compressor, gun and paint and do it myself for half the price I got quoted. I definitely didnt get a showroom finish, but this is a trailer and it's going to get banged up. Here is a picture of the trailer after primer in my spray booth....aka my garage.

2wuyyg7.jpg

Then it was on to other things like finishing the sheet metal in places we had cut away as well as getting to work on the swing out. Here is a picture of the original roof rack - just taking some measurements to figure out what we are going to do with it to be able to accomodate a tent, boats, random storage, lumber, etc. Sure is a rust bucket.

rWaMjuW.jpg

Added the expanded steel on the bed, tacked in the chromoly spindle to start test fitting the swing out. You can see the rear leveling jack mount on the side. I also added some boots on the shocks - had to cut the old ones to get the spring perches off.

jWuLnJ0.jpg

Added a propane mount up front:

nstCuk6.jpg

Now this post is about caught up with where we are with the build. Recently I have been working on building the pull out for the fridge/storage/possible table that will sit in one side of the through box. this is the box that will sit under the fridge:

1eEslmh.jpg

Also, got my tent in from CVT (though in the wrong color...) and test fit it on the car:

NCHqIK1.jpg

Well, that's about it for right now. Have a trip scheduled for Colorado with a shot over to the Moab area for the beginning of September so that's the date to get everything at least workable. Then I will be able to determine what I really need and what I need to change, etc.

Here is a list of the things next on the punch list:

- Finalize rear spare tire swingout with jerry can holders, hi lift jack, etc.
- figure out sizing and needs of the roof rack. Going to make it fairly easy to take on and off depending on what needs to be hauled.
- Figure out wiring...ughhh. I have most of the parts I need: brakes, break away kit, battery selector, inverter, shore power charger, solar charger, large fuse box, some LED lighting, etc etc.
- Finish paint and seal it all up.
- and much more...

k9lestat

Expedition Leader
Great minds think alike!

My trailer is what I would call a 90% complete prototype. It is fully functional as a trailer, and we have taken it camping several times, but the finishes are not what I would refer to as complete. I also never flushed out the galley cabinet or completed the sink. The water system is otherwise operational though and we have made do with the hand held sprayer for dishes and quick showers. Life has taken me in other directions for the past 2 years, but I am slowly steering back towards the trailer. We are planning to take it west again in August, hoping to get all the way to the Pacific this time.

I love your through cabinet idea. Mine is basically evolving in the same direction, but things would have been a lot easier if I had just planned it that way from the get go.

It should work pretty well. I have been very pleased with the performance of mine both on and off road.
View attachment 173361
View attachment 173359
View attachment 173360

yeah he offered to sell it to me but he got cold feet and backed..lol

old meanie

Last edited:

jeeps4fun

Adventurer
Did your trailer axle come with all the springs/frame mounts etc. or did u buy separate and determine the width to match your frame?

And I'm really jealous at this point. That's a lot more work than I'm gonna be able to tackle by myself on this project!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke