is there anyone making a 6000lb winch anymore?

zimm

Expedition Leader
as the title says.

there used to be a few true 6000k winches made, that were in the 50lb range...

where did they all go? poof. gone.

I Leak Oil

Expedition Leader
as the title says.

there used to be a few true 6000k winches made, that were in the 50lb range...

where did they all go? poof. gone.

Everyone wants a 12K lb unit for their Jeep sized vehicle....supply and demand I guess. If you can stomach it, I think I saw some in the HF adverts last time I got a flier.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
I get the joke, but, in fact, with intelligent rigging a 6000lb capacity winch would be plenty for all the vehicles he has in his sig. Unless he's often burried to the top of his tires.
All the rules of thumbs that say you need 1.5x GVWR has made everyone think they need a 12,000 lbf single line pull winches. OTOH, sometimes you don't get the luxury of ideal rigging and overkill never fails, so running an 8,000 lbf on a Suzuki just means you have higher line speed and aren't gonna wear it out.

LR Max

Local Oaf
Look for winches for trailer application. A 6000 lb winch on a trailer would be awesome.

That said, have you considered a plain old Warn M-8000 with synthetic? Would be super basic, do nothing but work, and would be low profile.

Otherwise you might end up having to go with some cheapo Harbor Freight unit.

Antichrist

Expedition Leader
Zimm, is it idle curiosity or do you really want one? If the latter, what sort use/rationale has you thinking 6000lb.

LR Max

Local Oaf
Zimm, is it idle curiosity or do you really want one? If the latter, what sort use/rationale has you thinking 6000lb.

X2. What are you trying to accomplish here? I kinda have a feeling this isn't going on any of the vehicles you have in your sig line. Did you procure a Suzuki Samurai over the weekend?

zimm

Expedition Leader
a 6000lb winch is more than adequate with the rigging one tends to carry, and is usually only in the 40lb range when synth rope is on it. ive been winching for 30 years and never needed any more. i actually kept my bellview, and gave my 8274 to the english chap that bought one of my 40's. i think he drugged me. he got my 1/2 doors and soft top too.

anyway, i noticed that when out alone, which i usually am as im an ******* by choice, i need to winch out the way i came. as a result i had Bumpit off road put a winch carrier in the rear bumper as opposed to a hitch, on the lexus. i looked at sizes of 6000lb winches, albeit, old paperwork, and 7" ht was good, so thats all ive got. fast forward a year later and i want to mount one... and low and behold.... i cant find one! doh!!!!

i think the HF will fit. i just feel dirty using that chinese ****. i wanted a warn, but then i feel stupid paying twice the price an 8000 for 2000 less pull.

it aint easy being me. im difficult.

Last edited:

Stumpalump

Expedition Leader
I only use a 10K Warn XP on the very heavy 4x4 E350 because that's the winch the Warn rep at the Expo told me he would use. It pulled hard enough to snap the thick synthetic line. My buddy put a 6000 Smittybuilt on his JK. He built the Hot Springs Arkansas Super Lift Park and Robilios off road park in Raton, New Mexico but what would he know. I'm thinking smaller will catch on. So far you make 4 of us.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94