Mattress for sleeping in car

madmax718

Explorer
I love the promo text "works as a cooler...frozen game or fish rolled up inside won't defrost for hours"...! I bet that idea would go over great with the women, too...

The... smell. Lol. Its the same when I see people throw the bounty of their hunt in the back of the SUV- Bloody and all, no tarp.

RobRed

Explorer
I agree with Mike and others on the Exped MegaMats. We ditched out inflatable mattress and bought 2 of them for our queen size sleeping bag. Awesome comfort. And with awesome comfort comes an awesome price tag of $450 (pair). Worth it.

I have an open cell mat like the cabelas link above - not even close to a megamat, or even a good thermarest for comfort. I know people use them (as above) but you dont know what you're missing with a Megamat.

madmax718

Explorer
I bought an exped air core (the one with insulation and the hand over valve pumping mechanism). Its pretty good. I just wanted something that kinda drowns me away. lol . I will try out the megamat.

flightcancled

Explorer
I've always just used a Walmart air mattress in the back of my truck. The first time the bed inflates it expands substantially. If you inflate the bed slowly the first time and force it to conform to the wheel wells it actually stretches to the shape. I usually get it all set up and then just leave it for an hour before using the bed for the first time.

As long as you are near the auto parts area you can also run a 12v outlet to the bed.

I usually kill a cheap bed after 3 months of weekend use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nickburt

Observer
Most roof tents have foam matresses, both ours have memory foam - the most comfortable camping nights sleep you'll ever have. In fact, on a par with the memory foam we have on the matress at home.
In the roof tent, they fold up with the tent as it's folded away, but I'd imaging, they could be a bit of a wrestle to roll up as small as possible when not in use for storage in the back of an SUV.

madmax718

Explorer
When I use the foam, I don't even bother rolling it. Thing is stupid heavy and hard to manipulate, like a passed out drunk person. lol.

4x4BNB

Adventurer
We used two memory foam mattresses from costco and a third I had left over from the spare bedroom. Glued them together then trimmed them down to fit the area. Then, had a cover made to keep them together/clean. Total thickness is about 5 inches.

elliottblackwood

Adventurer
I know this is an old thread but I'm bumping it out of general interest/newbness. What are the best ways to stay warm when using an air mattress and storage platform as a bed? I usually just tent camp but would like to transition to my in-car platform. I've got a full size air mattress, which I assume will suffice in SoCal's fairly mild climate. I guess I should also have the windows cracked to allow sufficient ventilation. Any other tips?

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
I know this is an old thread but I'm bumping it out of general interest/newbness. What are the best ways to stay warm when using an air mattress and storage platform as a bed? I usually just tent camp but would like to transition to my in-car platform. I've got a full size air mattress, which I assume will suffice in SoCal's fairly mild climate. I guess I should also have the windows cracked to allow sufficient ventilation. Any other tips?

Most air beds will be the same temp as the air around it due to the laws of physics, some of the nicer ones do have some insulation/cold barrier called the "R" value.

PlacidWaters

Adventurer
You may not want to pay for them, but two Exped Megamats would be a fine solution.

A cheaper solution is the Exped Synmat 12, on sale today at Backcountry.com for $125: http://www.backcountry.com/exped-sy...XlNS9bo7I2a75M_B4Qe9QaAoht8P8HAQ&gclsrc=aw.ds

I've been sleeping on either the Megamat or the Synmat 12 on a cot for the last 11 months. I don't think there is a more comfortable insulated camping mattress in existence. For travel I prefer the Synmat because of its compact rolled size and easy deflation. Plus it's actually thicker than the Megamat. The Megamat has a softer top surface and feels more stable; you roll slightly on the Synmat 12. The Megamat is a bear to deflate and roll up, and mine has no self-inflation at all. But honestly I would have to give both mattresses 5 stars for comfort. $125 is a superb price for the Synmat 12. Sale ends today, but Backcountry.com has been known to give a discount just for the asking---very nice folks to deal with.

PlacidWaters

Adventurer
I bought an exped air core (the one with insulation and the hand over valve pumping mechanism). Its pretty good. I just wanted something that kinda drowns me away. lol . I will try out the megamat.

Maybe you mean the Exped Synmat 7. The Air Core is made by Big Agnes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior