Mattress for sleeping in car

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
A cheaper solution is the Exped Synmat 12, on sale today at Backcountry.com for $125: http://www.backcountry.com/exped-sy...XlNS9bo7I2a75M_B4Qe9QaAoht8P8HAQ&gclsrc=aw.ds

I've been sleeping on either the Megamat or the Synmat 12 on a cot for the last 11 months. I don't think there is a more comfortable insulated camping mattress in existence. For travel I prefer the Synmat because of its compact rolled size and easy deflation. Plus it's actually thicker than the Megamat. The Megamat has a softer top surface and feels more stable; you roll slightly on the Synmat 12. The Megamat is a bear to deflate and roll up, and mine has no self-inflation at all. But honestly I would have to give both mattresses 5 stars for comfort. $125 is a superb price for the Synmat 12. Sale ends today, but Backcountry.com has been known to give a discount just for the asking---very nice folks to deal with.

We have a pair of the DreamTime XL pads and they are simply amazing, but at $210 each they sure better be!

PlacidWaters

Adventurer
We have a pair of the DreamTime XL pads and they are simply amazing, but at $210 each they sure better be!

See what you think of these specs:

DreamTime XL:
R-value 9
8 lbs
3.5 x 30 x 7
Packed size 10 x 30

Exped Synmat 12
R value 5.3 (-4 degrees)
3 lbs 1 oz
4.7 x 30 x 77
Packed size 6.3 x 13

Comparison: The DreamTime is self-inflating, but the Synmat 12 can be inflated in about one minute with the small Schnozzel (the yellow one). The DreamTime seems complicated with its three separate parts, versus the one-piece Synmat. Some reviewers mention that the memory foam in the DreamTime is hot.

In any case, the DreamTime has been replaced by the NeoAir Dream.

Clawhammer

Adventurer
I sleep on a 2 or 3 inch thick piece of foam I bought on Amazon. It's the size of a full bed and fits nicely on the sleep platform in my truck, but sucks when I have to roll and unroll it to haul cargo. If I'm traveling light though, I can leave it unrolled. That has the advantage of the bed always being set up. When I'm not camping, it makes a nice mattress pad on the bed in the spare room.

Before that, I went through a series of air mattresses. Never again!

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
See what you think of these specs:

DreamTime XL:
R-value 9
8 lbs
3.5 x 30 x 7
Packed size 10 x 30

Exped Synmat 12
R value 5.3 (-4 degrees)
3 lbs 1 oz
4.7 x 30 x 77
Packed size 6.3 x 13

Comparison: The DreamTime is self-inflating, but the Synmat 12 can be inflated in about one minute with the small Schnozzel (the yellow one). The DreamTime seems complicated with its three separate parts, versus the one-piece Synmat. Some reviewers mention that the memory foam in the DreamTime is hot.

In any case, the DreamTime has been replaced by the NeoAir Dream.

We bought ours back in 2011 and have had zero issues/complaints with them, about $300 of it was covered by REI gift cards that helped a lot.

jerdog53

Explorer
We had been using a Coleman queen sized air mattress that was 10" thick and quite comfortable but did nothing for the cold. Now I have found out about this Exped Megamat Duo 10 and that air mattress will get replaced!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke