03 super duty build

jdinevens

Adventurer
Well got the clutch in........50 dollars for the time at the shop and 2 cases of gatoraid (my helpers don't drink beer) and its in....we begin the break in period. After driving it home I like it already, the clutch is much softer, it almost drives like my buddies tacoma, soo much better. When we pulled everything apart the pilot bearing was AWOL, the clutch plate was beginning to break from one of the springs out, the flywheel and a couple of real nice racetracks running around it. It was a real mess, I'm glad I did it, it very much needed it, it shifts into gear so beautifully now!

I didn't take any pictures, its a pretty straightforward job, took us 6 hrs about from start to finish. Towards the end we had to hurry because the shop was closing so we got her good enough and dragged her across the street and finished her up, did a test lap and called it good.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
Well got the clutch in........50 dollars for the time at the shop and 2 cases of gatoraid (my helpers don't drink beer) and its in....we begin the break in period. After driving it home I like it already, the clutch is much softer, it almost drives like my buddies tacoma, soo much better. When we pulled everything apart the pilot bearing was AWOL, the clutch plate was beginning to break from one of the springs out, the flywheel and a couple of real nice racetracks running around it. It was a real mess, I'm glad I did it, it very much needed it, it shifts into gear so beautifully now!

I didn't take any pictures, its a pretty straightforward job, took us 6 hrs about from start to finish. Towards the end we had to hurry because the shop was closing so we got her good enough and dragged her across the street and finished her up, did a test lap and called it good.
Which model SBC did you install? I put the SBC OKHD 425 ho organic in my Dodge. Truck looks fine!

jdinevens

Adventurer
Which model SBC did you install? I put the SBC OKHD 425 ho organic in my Dodge. Truck looks fine!

went with the 1944-6OKHD, rated at 425 hp. This also gave it a single piece flywheel

rear bumper ships next week!!!!omg omg omg

Last edited:

jdinevens

Adventurer
UPDATES:

1) rear bumper hasnt shipped yet =( hopefully this week.....hopefully. Apparently the hang up is the powdercoating.....

2) Front bumper is in, I went with an ARB. I like the looks, the price was the best of what I was considering, it doesnt weigh as much as some others and it was delivered in 3 days. I'm waiting on my winch parts to convert from 24v to install it. I have 100' of 7/16 amsteel blue on order as well, I got a great price here if you're interested

3) I have running cold water....sort of. I have all of the plumbing done except the mixer, Which apparently is UK style which comes with UK fittings so you cannot get those at HD or Lowes. Anyway the conversion piece should be here saturday

4) I have a manual shift T/C now. Took me an evening but its all bolted up minus the front D/S I'm just waiting on the shift lever

DOES ANYONE HAVE PICS OF A ZF6 AND MANUAL SHIFT T/C LINKAGE, I'M LOOKING FOR PICS OF WHERE IT ATTACHES TO THE TRANS

Well I think I figured it out, there was a retaining washer/nut on the lower assembly that I think was just holding the bolt in so the parts didnt come out I removed it and it seemed to go together.....more correctly....

5) Surround LED lights are mounted and wired, just need to get the box in to wire them to the battery

6) Breaker, Solenoid and 1/0 Cable for the battery are all mounted and run to the bed of the truck, again waiting for the box to go in and I'll have a house battery.

7) mounted my Carling switches in the f650 dash piece, I'll mount that when the relay/fuse box gets in. Still no clue where i'm going to mount the box.

8) new clutch/master cylinder, I got it when I bought the clutch but just now put it in....More of a PITA than I anticipated......

I've got little LED voltage readers I was going to mount in the f650 dash BUT when i mocked it up I wouldn't be able to read it so I'll mount it up by the now useless ESOF switch.

Last edited:

jdinevens

Adventurer
more updates:

Well good news and bad news, I'll start with the bad

1) rear bumper still isnt here, I honestly thought I was going to have it a week ago. As of last friday it should be back from the powder coater and be ready to ship.....just waiting on that phone call

2) Winch is too big for the bumper, I'd rather not cut up the bumper to make it fit so i've got to get a different winch, I got it for a good deal so not really too big of a deal.

3) my shift knob keeps coming off....grrr

Good news

1) Switches are done, at least the ones i'm going to use. they all light up when the trucks running. I'm needing accessories on the truck to finish the wiring.

2) Winch rope came in, 7/16 amsteel blue 100' woot woot

3) T/C is working

4) drawers are finished and in the bed

5) water system is working, at least the cold water side. Don't have the hot water side yet probably won't untill next year BUT I can get running water from it.

IMG_20141223_133911_nopm_.jpg

20141222_115900.jpg

Next steps are to mount the drawers so they aren't flopping around and wire up the rear, getting there.....

406expo

Adventurer
I just went back through your build, I like it a lot. I went with the ARB front bumper as well. Very pleased with the look, fit and finish and added protection and winch platform. Hard to beat the price too, which I don't often say about ARB products.

Do you have any details on the winch parts swap? Any photos.

Last edited:

jdinevens

Adventurer
Those aux switches are very sharp.

Thanks, the top ones, for the lights are kind of ghetto. Though I was out of options for a 4 switch bank so I had to cut through the old ESOF panel. The area below the bottom set of switches is hard to see while driving so thats why I went high rather than low on placement. I origionally wanted them on the left of the steering wheel there is a thin strip, but it just wasnt thick enough. just got done bolting the rear box in hindsight 20/20 I should have spent more time planning the holes before I put the boxes together....oh well...

Edit: so funny story, we get the boxes up there and naturally the first thing I do is hop up there and test her out, only to smash my head on the topper getting out......its tight but it'll work =)

Last edited:

TAS

Transfer Case Wiring?

Hey, I like your build! I have a quick question. I have a 2002 F-350 that I also swapped the ESOF T/C for the manual version. My question is did you get the dash lights to work with the manual transfer case? If so, how did you do it? I currently just have the ESOF T/C connectors zipped tied underneath my truck as I don't know how what to mate with the NP271 to make the 4x4 dash lights to work.

Also, I can't wait to see your truck with the new bumpers installed as I'm considering the same setup.

jdinevens

Adventurer
Hey, I like your build! I have a quick question. I have a 2002 F-350 that I also swapped the ESOF T/C for the manual version. My question is did you get the dash lights to work with the manual transfer case? If so, how did you do it? I currently just have the ESOF T/C connectors zipped tied underneath my truck as I don't know how what to mate with the NP271 to make the 4x4 dash lights to work.

Also, I can't wait to see your truck with the new bumpers installed as I'm considering the same setup.

I didnt bother with the dash lights, i've seen a few posts on FTE...i think about it but the wires I had didnt really match what they were talking about. I can feel it engage...good enough for me.

More progress....A present was dropped off this morning ....A warn 16.5Ti and that kind of dictated the rest the day. The instructions were terrible....well good enough, it was clearly written by Australians for Australians, I had to google a few of their descriptions...It seemed easier because I didnt have to bother bending any cooler lines or trim the grill, some grinding of a weld was necessary though... I'm gonna attach the tow hooks and tighten everything down one last time tomorrow and call it good. It hasnt mentioned the crash bar at all either....I'm going to leave it for now and see how it fits/looks with the skid plate

20150109_173201.jpg

Oh! I was kind of bummed, I had pre-wired all of my switches a while ago and was anticipating 3 wires out of the remote, there are 6. which means I need a DpDt instead of a SpDt switch.....faaawk.....oh well it looks pretty =) I guess I'll use the remote for now

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94