Cutting, shortening and welding the fuel tank questions/suggestions

rebar

Adventurer
I have a NV4500 4x4 transmission I will be swapping with my 2wd NV4500. From what I'm gathering, the only issues I would be facing is shortening the gas tank and the drive shaft. Everything else is direct bolt up..

My local weld shop seemed like they would be willing to tig weld my removed diesel tank, but was concerned about the gauge thickness of tank material.. The guy mentioned it might be like welding a tin can..

1)Does anyone know what gauge thickness ford used for the fuel tanks?

2)How much space should I allow between the T-case back, and the tank? 2"?

3)Are there any issues cutting off the front, like any fuel pickups, or tank fuel level floats in the front of the tank?

4) Can the tank be cut with heavy duty tin snips to prevent tank contamination? Or should I plan on allot of diesel rinsing after the grinding and welding?

Thanks!

mgmetalworks

Explorer
The welding shouldn't be a problem for a skilled TIG weldor.... Besides, the fit-up and cleanliness of the joint is more of a concern than the metal gauge.

hobietony

Explorer
I'm sure he will jump in, but Chris has a tank shortening kit, with templates, etc. You still need a good welder, but everything else is paint-by-numbers. No tank 'guts' in the cut off portion

desertspeed

Adventurer
I have a NV4500 4x4 transmission I will be swapping with my 2wd NV4500. From what I'm gathering, the only issues I would be facing is shortening the gas tank and the drive shaft. Everything else is direct bolt up..

My local weld shop seemed like they would be willing to tig weld my removed diesel tank, but was concerned about the gauge thickness of tank material.. The guy mentioned it might be like welding a tin can..

1)Does anyone know what gauge thickness ford used for the fuel tanks?

2)How much space should I allow between the T-case back, and the tank? 2"?

3)Are there any issues cutting off the front, like any fuel pickups, or tank fuel level floats in the front of the tank?

4) Can the tank be cut with heavy duty tin snips to prevent tank contamination? Or should I plan on allot of diesel rinsing after the grinding and welding?

Thanks!

I am dropping my tank this weekend and will post up any issues I run into- I have the UJoint kit, and access to a very skilled welder, so I am hoping it all goes smoothly. I don't think you could use tin snips- an angle grinderwith a cut off wheel is what I will use. The tank will need to be cleaned pretty thoroughly before welding anyways, so I wouldn't worry about contamination.

rebar

Adventurer
I am dropping my tank this weekend and will post up any issues I run into- I have the UJoint kit, and access to a very skilled welder, so I am hoping it all goes smoothly. I don't think you could use tin snips- an angle grinderwith a cut off wheel is what I will use. The tank will need to be cleaned pretty thoroughly before welding anyways, so I wouldn't worry about contamination.

Super.. Maybe you can check the gauge thickness and take a few pics?

Cutting the tank straight would be half the challenge and I'm wondering if my band saw would cut it the straightest. I don't know if Chris's kit will work for me since I have a NV4500, but knowing how many inch's you cut off your tank might help determine that desertspeed.

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy

If they aren't sure about doing sheet metal, and have not done a fuel tank before, you need to find another welding shop that is comfortable doing it. It's probably outside their skill set / comfort area, and the place for them to learn is not on your fuel tank.

mgmetalworks

Explorer
If they aren't sure about doing sheet metal, and have not done a fuel tank before, you need to find another welding shop that is comfortable doing it. It's probably outside their skill set / comfort area, and the place for them to learn is not on your fuel tank.

Agreed!

kcernest

Observer
I recently had a local shop do just this for my Quigley due to the tank delaminating. Apparently it's an issue on the stock Ford tanks that have been cut.

What I found out was Spectra brand tanks use a different lamination process and don't have the issue, so I ordered one of Amazon for 200 and had them cut that. So far so good.

BajaSportsmobile

Baja Ironman
We cut off the end of the tank using a handheld cutoff wheel and weld on a 16 ga plate - simple deal. It is important to get all gasoline out of the tank first and then we run exhaust gas form a vehicle through the tank for 30 minutes before cutting and while cutting. No O2, no BOOM!

cem17

I recently found another possible option. New tank from Aerotanks in California. They can make skid plates and custom tanks. But probably a pricier option.

-from aerotanks.com

"New for FORD Van's

We now offer tanks for your Ford 4 X4 van conversions. Replacement and auxiliary tanks available. 35-45 Gallons. Call for information and pricing.
909-388-0002 (ask for Jake)"

SoCalChaos

Observer
I recently found another possible option. New tank from Aerotanks in California. They can make skid plates and custom tanks. But probably a pricier option.

-from aerotanks.com

"New for FORD Van's

We now offer tanks for your Ford 4 X4 van conversions. Replacement and auxiliary tanks available. 35-45 Gallons. Call for information and pricing.
909-388-0002 (ask for Jake)"
my van was their guinea pig, first one they have done... posted pics in my build thread.
Just under $1k and almost 45gals.
not as pretty as Chris' tank but it'll do.

rebar

Adventurer
my van was their guinea pig, first one they have done... posted pics in my build thread.
Just under $1k and almost 45gals.
not as pretty as Chris' tank but it'll do.

Your decision may have been the best considering what a aux tank would cost.

Talked to the shop owner over the phone for rough estimates and timelines, then contemplated my options.. for a few hundred more I can gain about 10gal or spend $600 to mod the stock tank and lose ~3gals??? what to do?

To make a long story short... I got a custom 45 gal fuel tank made, with skid plate, installation, fuel transfered and old tank disposal for just under a $1k.

great shop to work with, they do a lot of work and have many different application.
Easy and quick 1.5 days turn around.

So I've got a fuel tank shortening kit that I'll offer up for cheap as I have no use for it. PM me if you're interested in it.

I might be interested in that kit. I need to get some measurements.

As far as my welder.. Your right. If they don't feel comfortable I need to keep looking.

Do the precautions for gas apply for diesel? Same soapy rinse and pipe exhaust gas through while welding?

I recently had a local shop do just this for my Quigley due to the tank delaminating. Apparently it's an issue on the stock Ford tanks that have been cut.

What I found out was Spectra brand tanks use a different lamination process and don't have the issue, so I ordered one of Amazon for 200 and had them cut that. So far so good.

So cutting and capping the tank makes it weaker? How so?

Last edited:

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
You need to get that new tranny/t-case installed before doing anything with the tank. 1-2" is good clearance, you want to obviously keep the tank as long as possible so you don't loose capacity!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94