iPad dash mount idea

burquedoka

Adventurer
I recently assembled a track mount on my dash for my iPad using RAM mount components, a strip of oak and a mini T-track from my local woodworkers supply. The track system allows the iPad to be slid over to the passenger side for wiffey entertainment purposes. Don't worry, no factory wood trim was harmed in the making of this project.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    295.6 KB · Views: 95
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    372.4 KB · Views: 87
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    460 KB · Views: 84
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    358.1 KB · Views: 89
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    379.6 KB · Views: 84
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    468.9 KB · Views: 85

Jamin_GX

Adventurer
Pretty cool idea! Is there any mechanism to lock it in place or does the weight of the iPad enough to keep it sliding around? Definitely like the idea of mounting it to the dash as opposed to the current "leg" I have coming up from under the passenger seat, which would free up some space for the wife.

burquedoka

Adventurer
Yes the Ram component that ties into the t-track locks down by turning the ball. It is something they sell as a way to tie into a track system on a kayak. Visit the Ram Mount web site to see what I'm taking about. The oak strip uses most of the fasteners found behind the long factory trim piece. I have further photos of what that looks like if your interested. The t-track then screws into the oak, and I have to say, it is pretty stout when locked into position. I purchased a few different length arms to play with, and I find the 3" and 5" to be the best reach with out causing to much torquing force on the dash when the weight of the iPad is applied to the mount and you go bouncing down the trail. All in all, I'm quite satisfied with its strength and sturdiness on the trail.

Plan b was going to be a spacer between the "oh ******** handle" on the passenger side and the dash. I'd put a tab on said spacer that could be drilled and tapped to screw in a Ram ball with threaded post. This would need a longer arm to reach the driver wich could potentially bounce more, so i decided I liked the ability to slide the unit where ever you like more.

SoCalMonty

Explorer
I know you guys value your interiors more than a lot of us others do...but... :)

...I recently ordered a tablet mount for my truck with a C-clamp style mount and a short flex arm. It's meant to mount universally on music stands. I plan to clamp it to the passenger grab handle, and angle it toward the driver slightly. This way nothing is permanent should I feel the need to remove it. ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94