Tire help

HARDTRAILZ

Certified
Hankook... I hear good things, what do you think?

I almost went with them, but the Fierce Attitude are getting rave reviews by friends. Great traction, long tread life, and great price, so I just ordered them up.

The STT are great tires, but they do command a premium price these days.

I really really wanted the new Cepek Fun Coountry to give them a try as they remind me of Duratrac's, but they are not cheap either.

kenaiking

Observer
I went with the Hankooks MT's. I will take a picture when I get home but so far I am loving them. They will get the first real workout this weekend.

kenaiking

Observer
Sorry for the cell pic but they are getting their first run tomorrow so I should have a few better pictures soon.

2photo_zps4fb2759d.jpg

kenaiking

Observer
Well the Hankooks did extremely well this week. Most of the trails were loose dirt or loose rocks but the dirt road into the trailhead was a nightmare. Wash board and full of sharp rocks. The MT's did it all well. They ride great and not a mark on them after the ride. Didn't get into any mud but it did rain pretty good on the way home and they felt great on the wet pavement.

GOPR0063_zpsf9a20ba5.jpg

1stDeuce

Explorer
Kenaiking,
I'm running 285 Cooper STT's on my Jeep and I love them, but I need something more road friendly next time around... My bud put 285 ST Maxx's on his 4-runner and they're doing great for him, but I'm looking at 235's next time around because tires are just too dang expensive! One of my neighbors has the Maxx's in 235/85 on his Rubicon TJ and they look great! Most of the 235's have a really narrow tread, but the Maxx's are more like a 245 or 255 in tread width, which is nice! (The AT3's and ST's are both REALLY narrow in the tread compared to the Maxx's.)

The heavy duty construction is a little over the top for a light vehicle, but I have abused my STT's more than any tire I've owned, and haven't had any problems yet... For a HD tire on a light vehicle, my experience has been that the narrower tire rides better than the wide one. (Which is why I'm running a 285 instead of a 33x12.50, and why I'm thinking 235 will be nice next time I buy tires...)

IMO, the difference in stability afforded by a 265 compared to a 235 (a tire that's ~1" wider) on the same wheel isn't hardly worth talking about.

I used to like BFG AT's, but the one thing they have against them compared to the Coopers, and lots of modern tires I suppose, is a very outdated tread compound. They are downright scary in the rain and cold if you have to do a panic stop or anything like that. I really think BFG needs to revisit the compound, if they haven't already... If you live in the dry and warm, they are good tires. They're good when new too, it's just when they get worn down a little that they get sketchy IMO.

Good luck with your choice, and don't forget to give us a report on whatever tires you purchase!
Chris

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94