doors holder opener

southpier

Expedition Leader
my idea is to stabilize the side and rear doors (anyvan) at 90 degrees by tying them together with a rigid piece across the top at the closing corner ( lead edge/ not the side where the door hinges). i'm considering tubing (pvc / emt?) or a wood spar, but want the attachment points to the door to be stable and easy peasy to use.

the intent is to have the doors act as a vestibule and be able to support (even if only fabric) a sunshade or rain awning - depending on the weather.

anyone already have done this so i'm not trying to reinvent the wheel?

thanks

GlennA

Adventurer
The rear doors on my van are limited to 90 degree opening. If your doors are also, a spring loaded shower rod would keep the doors spread open. Hang a curtain on it, and you have a dressing area.

cowboy4x4

Explorer
The ford vans can open more than 90* the limiting bar can be lifted off the pin that holds it. (back doors)

southpier

Expedition Leader
i'd like the doors to be somewhat stable in the 90 degree position. just don't want to depend on spring tension alone as I thing winds would flip it out soon enough.

mgmetalworks

Explorer
Saw these and thought of your door prop idea (not my picture. I just found this in google images). Quick disconnect ball/socket ends (typically used for hood or trunk gas struts). This might work for your attachment points if you can find a good spot to attach the ball studs. If it were me, I'd use rivet nuts (aka nutserts) for threading the studs into the door. It wouldn't take a very big piece of tubing to be rigid enough to do what you're wanting it to do.

quick release joints.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94