poor gas mileage, 2002 Trooper

jeffryscott

2006 Rally Course Champion: Expedition Trophy
Ok, you had me worried. (I know I tend to ramble on...)

That is a bummer, it "should" get better mpgs.

If you can't remedy the problem, are you going to sell it?

Won't sell, was going to at one point but buyer backed out. Strangely enough, I was searching Craigslist for another Trooper. Sick.

Today, cleaned the MAF, cleaned the throttle body (which was severely carboned over, so I know I didn't clean that originally). Also sprayed a bunch of seafoam down the EGR return to make sure it isn't clogged (and upon starting got the big cloud one gets with seafoam, so I know it isn't clogged). Still have the O2 sensors to install.

We shall see if it helps.

About two hours after the above, I just took it for a short highway jaunt to run the rest of the sea foam through it. Seems to be a bit more responsive.

Last edited:

Clutch

<---Pass
good luck!

oh boy, that is sick looking for another trooper. ha!

I have been looking at Subaru Foresters...

jeffryscott

good luck!

oh boy, that is sick looking for another trooper. ha!

I have been looking at Subaru Foresters...

I know its sick. Great trucks for cheap though. My wife has a 2012 Outback, really nice car and honestly could take me almost anywhere I have gone lately. If it was mine, I'd have probably taken it to those places other places too.

jl8088

Adventurer
let me know how you end up changing the front passenger side O2 sensor. I just replaced 3 of mine at 115K. the 4th is still trying to figure out how to get installed....

bansil

Adventurer
Don't forget that high rpms will kill the mileage

above 2300/2400 the "secondary air runners open in the intake"

example: my wifes 01 Rodeo Sport babied at 45/50 mph back roads in 4th or 5th gear will pull 27 mpg, on the hiway at 65 in 5th at 2500 rpm you can watch the gas gage move about 15 mpg

by just short shifting at 2200 rpm my 00 rodeo would get 18/19 mpg in town and local hiways 55 mph

driving and shifting at 3000 rpm, is an automatic 12/13 mpg in my Trooper, when babied 19/20 is possible

jeffryscott

Don't forget that high rpms will kill the mileage

above 2300/2400 the "secondary air runners open in the intake"

example: my wifes 01 Rodeo Sport babied at 45/50 mph back roads in 4th or 5th gear will pull 27 mpg, on the hiway at 65 in 5th at 2500 rpm you can watch the gas gage move about 15 mpg

by just short shifting at 2200 rpm my 00 rodeo would get 18/19 mpg in town and local hiways 55 mph

driving and shifting at 3000 rpm, is an automatic 12/13 mpg in my Trooper, when babied 19/20 is possible

Driving technique is not a concern. I'm not at all aggressive on the street. My primary complaint is in comparison to my former 99 Trooper, similarly equipped vehicles with quite different mpgs. My suspicion is it is a lot of little things since it drives so well and has never thrown a code in the time I've owned it.

jeffryscott

let me know how you end up changing the front passenger side O2 sensor. I just replaced 3 of mine at 115K. the 4th is still trying to figure out how to get installed....

I've heard that one is a bear. Supposedly removing the transmission crossmember helps gain access.

Just curious what kind of mileage you are getting in your 99?

Clutch

<---Pass
I know its sick. Great trucks for cheap though. My wife has a 2012 Outback, really nice car and honestly could take me almost anywhere I have gone lately. If it was mine, I'd have probably taken it to those places other places too.

Yes the Troopers are great for not too much money. You know, if you wait until the Diesel Jeep Grand Cherokee comes out, you only have to spend $50,000 to get the mpg you want. :p

I could definitely get by with a Subaru wagon, as most of the stuff I do anymore is driving to a trail head, heck, I hike more that any other activity that I do. From
riding dirt bikes I find driving a 4 wheeled vehicle off-road almost annoying. I darn near took the dirt roads down to Parker Canyon Lake yesterday in the Tacoma, then I thought about how long it would take (vs. blasting down there on the dirt bike), not to mention how jarring it is to my body compared to the dirt bike....so I drove down the pavement instead.

Joanne

Adventurer
I had an '02 Trooper and it got lousy mileage the whole time I owned it (just over 100k miles). I got similar mileage to what you are reporting. Apart from the fuel mileage, I loved the rig. I moved on to a '95 F-150 when I started having issues finding parts. The TOD sensors needed replacement and I simply wasn't willing to spend the money on it. Parts for the Ford are always available and reasonably cheap.

Joanne

Scoutn79

Adventurer
I am not sure about your Trooper but some vehicles that use 4 O2 sensors have 2 closest to the engine to provide AFR info to the computer the other 2, after the CATS, are for the computer to monitor emissions effectiveness.
Do you have any exhaust leaks? This will cause the computer to add fuel to compensate for the "lean" condition.
Darrell

jeffryscott

that is exactly how the Trooper is, two O2 fore, and 2 aft of the Cat. I'll have to check for exhaust leaks, that's a good suggestion, but I don't believe there are any.

I am not sure about your Trooper but some vehicles that use 4 O2 sensors have 2 closest to the engine to provide AFR info to the computer the other 2, after the CATS, are for the computer to monitor emissions effectiveness.
Do you have any exhaust leaks? This will cause the computer to add fuel to compensate for the "lean" condition.
Darrell

JoBedo

I've got 255/85r16s on my 94 and I'm covering about 250 miles per tank( roughly 17-21 gallons). It depends on if I tow anything and where I drive. My point is, that is only what the odometer is showing. At interstate speeds the speedometer is about 10 mph off (reads slow). I've never tried to calculate what the mileage actually is but this has got to adversely affect any calculation based on what your trip meter reads compared to the fuel that you're putting in the truck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94