2013 Ram Crewcab 4x4 diesel towing capacity

GlennA

Adventurer
Looking at the new Ram Crewcab. According to the Ramtrucks.com website, the Ram Crewcab 4X4 diesel automatic trans has a towing capacity of about17.5K lbs with the 3.42 gear. The site doesn't show any other gear listed. In the trailer life tow guide, it list about 10K lb. towing capacity. That is a large difference. Only the 4.10 gear is rated to tow over 17K lbs. If anyone knows of another source for tow capacity numbers, please let me know. I have located a truck that I am interested in, but has the 3.42 gears. I don't want to limit myself to 10K lbs towing capacity.

TIA

Kaisen

Explorer
Looking at the new Ram Crewcab. According to the Ramtrucks.com website, the Ram Crewcab 4X4 diesel automatic trans has a towing capacity of about17.5K lbs with the 3.42 gear. The site doesn't show any other gear listed. In the trailer life tow guide, it list about 10K lb. towing capacity. That is a large difference. Only the 4.10 gear is rated to tow over 17K lbs. If anyone knows of another source for tow capacity numbers, please let me know. I have located a truck that I am interested in, but has the 3.42 gears. I don't want to limit myself to 10K lbs towing capacity.

TIA

Gooseneck, fifth-wheel, or tongue (ball on hitch)?

A Cummins Crew Cab 4x4 is ONLY available with a 3.42, there is no other choice

The factory receiver hitch (tongue on ball hitch towing) is only rated to 10,000 pounds

the truck has a Gross Combined Vehicle Weight Rating (GCVWR) of 25,000 lbs
The truck weighs roughly 7,600 pounds and with the weight of a driver (you).....
You'd be left with a little over 17K If you install the correct gooseneck or fifth wheel system, with the right trailer.

ripperj

Explorer
Makes sense that the 10k rating is for the hitch, I have a 2012 2500 hemi with 10k tow, the diesel should have gobs more.

gavan

Observer
A weight distributing ball hitch is maxed at 10k (limed by ball strength)

??? You can get 2 1/16th balls up to 20+k ratings, I have a 12k rated weight distribution hitch and a 14k not weight distribution stinger, and regularly tow 10k+ trailers...

I also gave a Class A license, and it does depend on the states, some states are worded that anything under 26k in any combination is fine, some state and trailer over 10k needs a CDL.

But there aint nothing with big, properly equipped bumper tow trailers!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles