Here is a similar idea, it's basically a teardrop and small boat:

vv6.jpg

vv3.jpg

vv1.jpg

http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=46755&start=92

page 1 is the start of his build thread

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
Ah yes, a PDQ built hull? Little top heavy but probably fun in the calms.

Matt's Lil' Cruiser, a heavy built Bolger inspired micro sharpie designed by Matt Layden could be a great camper. It has a low CG and placed on a good trailer, even though it would be carried higher than a stock boat trailer, might work well. The trailer could have heavier cargo below the hull being carried......why not?

The Eco cat I mentioned was for the cabin basically as the trailer pod. A small rear deck could fold down. The amas or pontoons could be pretty light and placed on top or use an inflatable for the rivers.

A simple thought, a camper module that can be a small boat for cruising. The one above, the PD cabin cruiser works but that would never make it in open water or swift currents, great for a lake or a lazy river. The Eco has sailed down to South America, the Lil' Cruiser makes regular trips to the Bahamas and beyond.

I know many pull a canoe, but you are pretty limited as a shelter. The ECO cabin is or could be about 8', a 4' rear deck could fold down at only 12 instead of 16 feet, but I suppose it could be to full scale on the right rig. I don't see this on bunks as a boat would be carried but fastened down.

Could something be made with an internal frame with folding wheels up? Landing gear style?
Granted, not a stand up camper, but it can have the necessary facilities and it doubles your fun......so imagine your outing being from Ak to FL and on to the Bahamas or the reverse. Thousands of miles of rivers to explore as well as the backcountry. :)

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
Wow! Both are pretty cool but my vote goes to the first one, single axel landingcraft! :wings:

The link provided a pic but do you have the site for the company or name of it?

There is room for a cabin on either one, pop top maybe.

I'd have a suggestion on both. The dual axel, last one, appears the fenders are attached to the boat, in the chop those fenders would turn into dive fins and would certainly affect the handling. I'd rather see the fenders be attached from the axel so it would rise higher as well. The single axel, second one could have a cover to close the wheel opening which would solve a similar problem.

Neither would be a DYI for me in aluminum, I'd be concerned with a wood boat glassed into a frame as the flex would certainly play on the boat, don't know if that would be possible.

Seems too that the lift could be made to raise it higher for rougher slow going off road and lower it for the paved roads.

As a sailboat that would be a scow using lee boards and could go with a much smaller motor, 20 hp max can be taken off and stored losing that weight astern.

My overbuilt UT has a slip in tounge extension so I can attach different heads from tractor to my truck. Might be a simpler solution than having that lift system and the open end could be capped and be above the water line, the center of the trailer being a half keel.

It's great to see it's been done, especially as a landingcraft as that is a toy-hauler.

Any information on those or others? Thanks!

k9lestat

Expedition Leader
On the second one the tires retract and a slide panel is pulled over the fender well to stream line the body.

It could be done with a single axle I think

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
Had never seen the Panther, WOW! That is pretty cool, a bit pricy at $135,000. That needs to go in the Jeep thread for those guys to find it....some may cry others may druel. Thanks for the post JPNCA!

K9lestat, any info on the company?

Seems that torsion type axel-less rubber spring suspension might be an option for such a contraption, rotating the wheels up and down. Just a thought...

What do you guys think about a wood cabin mounted in a trailer that has a steel tub or pan and frame, how would you mount the cabin to be secure but allow flex? Techniques?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior