Current Wrangler to live-on until 2018?

aristobrat

Observer
I used to want a diesel but with the cost of fuel, it just doesn't make sense now, one you factor in the extra cost of the motor.
I'm not overly familiar with what upgrading to diesels in other vehicles costs, but the ~$4,000K that Jeep is charging for diesel in the Grand Cherokee was a bit more than I was expecting!!

cnynrat

Expedition Leader
I'm not overly familiar with what upgrading to diesels in other vehicles costs, but the ~$4,000K that Jeep is charging for diesel in the Grand Cherokee was a bit more than I was expecting!!

$4k is actually cheap compared to what the diesel options will cost you in any of the full size pickups. Ford wants $8,100, and Dodge wants $7,795 for their diesels.

Septu

Explorer
I used to want a diesel but with the cost of fuel, it just doesn't make sense now, one you factor in the extra cost of the motor. Yeah, I'd like the extra torque but it comes at too step of a price tag. If Wrangler history holds true, the next model should be due around 2016.

Depends on the cost of diesel. Gas is more expensive in Canada than Diesel.

Grasslakeron

Explorer
Weight savings: IFS., more plastics, use more aluminum. Weight additions: espresso maker, onboard rear lcd screens, autopilot with moab pregrammed as a virtual trip because the 2018 wont be able to drive it.

Ron

NFRs2000NYC

Adventurer
Wrong diesel. They get the crappy 4 banger. The one for the US market will be the same as the Grand Cherokee, which is a FANTASTIC motor.

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
Wrong diesel. They get the crappy 4 banger. The one for the US market will be the same as the Grand Cherokee, which is a FANTASTIC motor.

I've driven a modified 2-dr with 37s and the 2011 version of the 2.8 4 cyl diesel, it was a great vehicle. The start/stop with the 6-spd manual was a little odd, but the power felt as good or better than the 3.6 for actually moving the vehicle around. I think it averaged over 23-24mpg for the entire trip....on 37s....

The new VM 3.0 would be even better, but the 2.8 wasn't bad at all.

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader

That has not been confirmed, and I personally don't agree.
I think the 3.0 VM is too much motor. Too heavy, and too much torque. They'll have a very hard time putting a standard behind it that can handle the torque.

I think 2.5-2.8L is plenty for the Wrangler, but time will tell.

-Dan

SSF556

SE Expedition Society
That has not been confirmed, and I personally don't agree.
I think the 3.0 VM is too much motor. Too heavy, and too much torque. They'll have a very hard time putting a standard behind it that can handle the torque.

I think 2.5-2.8L is plenty for the Wrangler, but time will tell.

-Dan

I agree the trend is going towards 4 cylinder engines...the Mercedes GLK350 was just introduced with a 2.1L I-4 BiTurbo with 200hp/369torque....something similar from Fiat would be ideal.

GLK350 weighs in at 4246lbs with a towing capacity of 3500lbs..do not see a GVWR for the GLK350 but I bet it is close to or slightly above 5000lbs

Wrangler JKU weighs in at 4100lbs with a towing capacity of 3500lbs...GVWR = 5400lbs

Anyway...a I-4 is all the JK or JKU needs...no reason you could not get 30mpg cruising on the hwy.

NFRs2000NYC

Adventurer
I definitely don't want a 4 banger in a Jeep. I am praying for the 3.0 V6 CRD. The euro 4 banger diesel is like driving a tractor.

NFRs2000NYC

Adventurer
The V6 diesel is too long, and the wranglers need to be length , find it on the info and rumor forum at www.allpar.com

Makes no sense to me. The Wrangler has the same room under the hood as the Grand Cherokee. The 6.4 Hemi also fits easily into the Wrangler. I highly doubt the 3.0 doesn't fit. The turbos are on the side, and the wrangler has plenty of room on the sides of the motor.

MOSDIF589

Axel Adventures
I have a friend that bought a totaled GC with a 3.0 and installed it in his 2008 JKU. It was a tight fit, and the weight of it has collapsed the aftermarket lift springs BUT it runs great and gets descent mileage...

Silvanus

Observer
Natural Gas anyone??

The " Big Three " are also going to in next couple of years will be introducing an LNG engine, there's an abundance of NG from lack manufacturing and fracturing!

There will be a transition from oil to gas because oil will too expensive for lower class portion of this country ( Middle Class ) and NG will the peoples propellant!

Also, Chrysler needs to make money and take time to do the proper morphing of the JK!

Look at the stir the " Cherokee " pod/shuttlecraft has done through out the Web!

Jorsn

Adventurer
I think the only reason that we haven't seen a face lift on the JK is due to the flatness and body lines. Jeep/Chrysler/Fiat could change the front bumper and maybe do something similar to the AEV hood but that's about it. You can change the hood, bumper, fenders, etc on a 07' and do the same to a 14' and ultimately they would look the exact same.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles