Grinding in 4 wheel drive

jeepmedic46

Expedition Leader
My 05 f150 makes a grinding noise when turning in 4 wheel drive. Doesn't make any noise in 2 wheel drive. I had both actuators done not to long ago.

Anthony24x

Observer
Front axles or front wheel bearings? What type of grinding? On or off power? How hard are you turning?
At what speed?

jeepmedic46

Expedition Leader
Coming from the front end while turning either right or left, slow maybe about 5mph. Wheel bearings were replaced about a year ago.

jeepmedic46

Expedition Leader
That is quite a write up thank you? Hoping its not a expensive fix. Everything seems to be going at the same time. My power windows just died as well.

Last edited:

Kaisen

Explorer
It's a system, so the "noise" itself is coming from the actuators (like automatic hubs). They half-engage and grind the teeth. But that just might be the symptom. The solenoid might be bad (Ford has had three part number updates trying to solve the problem), or the vacuum lines might be clogged with dirt, or in some other way not holding vacuum somewhere in the system. Check for vacuum, check for leaks, check for water and/or clogs.

Do a quick Google search and you'll find others that have tackled the exact same symptoms

POS

4WD needs the same diameter tires or you'll get binding (grinding feel). Were all the tires bought at the same time? Is the wear the same?

jeepmedic46

Expedition Leader
All the tires were bought at the same time. This is a tight month so I'll have to save to see what is wrong with the truck

DaveNay

Adventurer
All the tires were bought at the same time. This is a tight month so I'll have to save to see what is wrong with the truck

I'm sure the Ford dealer would flip over this, but when my IWE's went bad and I was short of cash, I took them out, then cut out the gear and retainer spring and vacuum seal (which was shot already) then I put the empty housings back on the truck. Drove like that for over a year before I was able to replace them. I didn't have 4WD, but I also didn't have the horrible grinding sound.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior