Expedition West Tacoma DEPOSIT IN HAND

GR8ADV

Explorer
Ok, everyone says this, but I really mean it. I WILL regret this, if only for the fact that this vehicle is simply one that can not be reasonably reproduced. Breath deep and get ready for the longest for sale thread in existence. :Wow1:

Up front: The reason for even contemplating this is that life is getting between us and the use of the vehicle. Especially over the next two years. The trips to AK and Central America has been thwarted. Although it is the MOST incredible weekender, it deserves more. Much of this ad I stole from Commander Mike H, who I purchased it from a couple years ago. :costumed-smiley-007

This is a pretty famous truck, having twice appeared at SEMA and been written up in Overland Journal (Winter 2007) and numerous other magazines. Additionally, you can have an interesting evening or two without leaving the Portal just by reviewing all of the write-ups about the truck.

This IS the most incredible Tacoma that exists. WARNING, the owner must be willing to talk to people. I can share countless stories from as far north as the interior of BC to as far south as California where people recognize this vehicle. Just this week alone a man working on the ferry saw the truck and asked to take a few pics as he was trying to build his own Tacoma. We got to talking and when he found out it was the Expedition West truck he went crazy as he has been going over and over the Portal build thread (see above) to try to build his own the same way. He burned up a 16 gig card with his camera before the trip was done and he texted me cus he wants to come over and study the vehicle. And today I had it in for a full pre sale service including new front breaks and the full once over. When I picked it up there was note on the windshield from a passer by that said the "was the sickest truck he had ever seen" and asked that I call him so we could talk about the build. So if you are shy, maybe this is not the vehicle for you.

Mike had the 90 K service done and the suspension fully gone over somewhere around 95k miles if I recall. I bought it with with about 97k on the clock. It now has 105,000. It is ready to roll. And I mean turn-key ready to roll: with all dishes, silverware stove, built in propane tank, toilet, shower room, spares, etc etc etc all included. Plug and play for one of the coolest rigs anywhere. Grab a beer, or two, or a coffee (depending on the time of day) and read through everything below. You will be amazed. A couple things to note. I have added a 1600 T-top tent with brand new annex room. I have raised it off the deck with 8" aluminum channel beams (see pics) to allow for storage and additional headroom in the annex. It also provides for greater utility with ability to though a Tule rack on top for a ski trip etc. The channels can be removed with a few bolts if you wish; completely flexible. The bed comes with a down comforter in place as well as two additional inches of memory foam. It is basically a queen bed likely as comfy as what you have at home. Of course the tent is wired with lights! The shower system is now a wonderful heat exchanger system and comes wit the shower room pop up. The truck has a new 1500 watt inverter that can run my espresso machine (not included sorry). Also note that the completely custom roof rack is designed to hold 4 pelican 1550 cases locked and secured in place. A high capacity compressor is also on demand for air-up and for the ARB front air locker. The rear locker is stock. The completely custom rear bumper and tailgate is a work of art. The fridge is now in the back under the custom metal topper and as such the rear seats are completely useable. But to say this is just the beginning is an understatement.

Also, for those maybe not in the know. This truck is fully dialed in and fully tested. The suspension has been done and re-done to get it right and not just lifted with some cool new shocks. Nothing on this truck was just tacked on. It all works, and works extremely well under all conditions. Fully tested, fully dialed in; what a fun truck. The price is $32,000 OBRO for the vehicle, complete. Mike suggested that it would take $100k to re-do this, and he is right but no one ever would. I will deliver anywhere in the US and Canada. The further away the better.

Grab your beverage, have a quick look at the photos below, then sit back for the next few hours and marvel at the build described in the links. Enjoy.

View attachment 174926 P1020711-S.jpg

And when it gets late, anywhere is your home.
View attachment 174928 P1020700-M.jpg

View attachment 174930

View attachment 174931

IMG_1052-L.jpg

The fold down table in the tailgate is awesome. The stove sits their nicely and connects to the under the bumper propane tank. The gate is also hinged to go full open if wished.
IMG_1081-M.jpg

The storage under the tent for things like the annex, table, chairs firewood etc.
IMG_1083-M.jpg

IMG_1088-M.jpg

IMG_1089-M.jpg

The custom locking boxes behind the cab.

IMG_1096.jpg

Vehicle Specifications

2004 Toyota Tacoma SR5 Double-Cab (5.1 foot bed) with TRD, SR5 and Convenience Packages; includes air conditioning, power locks, power windows, and power mirrors.

Approximately 105,000 miles. Vehicle is in occasional use, so mileage may increase slightly.

White exterior, Oak (beige) interior, sliding rear cab window.

3.4 liter V6 engine rated at 190 horsepower and 220 lb.-ft. of torque. Continuing the path Scott Brady chose when designing the truck for maximum reliability during his expeditions, no modifications have been made to the well-regarded stock Toyota motor.

4-Speed automatic transmission, 4 wheel drive with autolocking hubs, antilock brakes, electronic traction control.

As-new 285/75 R16 Hankook Dynapro ATM all-terrain tires mounted to Performance Wheels Outback TX1 rims.

Factory rated towing capacity is 5000 pounds; rear bumper has integrated receiver hitch with 7 pin and 4 pin wiring. (A Prodigy brake controller is included.)

The truck’s EPA ratings are 14 city and 18 highway. It will generally get 15-17 in a 70 mph freeway cruise. The truck weighs roughly 6000 pounds.

Factory front seats, factory split rear seat with hard surface storage platform when folded; all upholstery is in excellent condition.

The vehicle is in exceptional mechanical condition with no know issues and is currently titled, registered and insured in Oregon and is located in Portland, Oregon. Sold, not surprisingly, as-is, with no warranty express or implied.

Major Vehicle Modifications

5.29 gearing.

ARB Front Locking Differential with factory rear differential lock; Toyota FZJ80 factory rear/front differential switch installed.

22 Gallon custom (ex-Isuzu) auxiliary fuel tank with separate locking fill.

Cross-drilled and slotted brake rotors.

ARB Safari Snorkel.

ExtremeAire High Output underhood compressor with bumper-mounted quick connect supply.

Slee Off-Road air distribution block.

Custom roof rack with Thule Ranger 90-liter quick-demountable weatherproof carrying bag. (The rack was specially designed to carry and lock four Pelican 1550 cases and the holddown/locking hardware for these cases is included.)

Custom fabricated aluminum bed cover with integral bed rack rails.

Recovery and Protection

ARB front bumper with integral Warn M8000 winch equipped with Viking synthetic line and safety thimble and an aluminum/Delrin roller fairlead.

Outback Hardware custom interior winch controller and Warn remote exterior controller.

Custom built rear bumper with swing-away tire carrier on 7,000pound spindle with three-position locking.

Demello Off-Road front skidplate w/ full radiator protection.

Additional skidplates under all vulnerable components.

Demello Off-Road rock sliders.

Rear-mounted Hi-Lift Extreme 48 inch jack.

Two aluminum traction panels mounted to top of bed cover.

Multiple front and rear recovery points.

Shovel and ax mounted on rear bumper swingout.

Suspension (all components recently rebuilt/reconditioned)

Donahoe Racing custom coilovers with high-corrosion protection.

Deaver custom 11-leaf rear springs.

Donahoe Racing remote reservoir rear shocks.

Electrical and Lighting

Odyssey Group 31 AGM lifeline starting battery (new).

Two bumper-mounted IPF HID driving lights.

Four roof-rack mounted IPF 900XS halogen spot lights.

LED task light mounted on rear bumper in adjustable mount.

Custom LED tail lights mounted in rear bumper.

Custom touch-sensitive LED overhead interior lighting.

Instrumentation and Interior Equipment

JVC Double DIN flush mounted 7 inch widescreen KW-AVX720 DVD/CD/AM/FM/USB/AV head end receiver with USB input and XM Direct satellite radio capability.

Exterior mounted XM antenna.

Infinity front door-mount woofer/tweeter/crossover system; Infinity full-range rear door mount speakers.

Ceiling-mounted Total Vision color LED monitor connected to rear-mounted wide-angle camera.

Console-mounted Scan Gauge OBD-II monitoring system/code reader.

Auto Meter precision auxiliary fuel tank level gauge.

Xantrek LinkLITE main/aux digital battery level and use monitoring gauge.

Cyberdyne digital gauges for outside temperature, refrigerator interior temperature and air system pressure.

Lowrance Baja 540C GPS held by RAM laptop mount; includes roof-mounted antenna and Freedom Maps digital map card for CA, NV, UT, ID, OR, and WA.

Motorola Motonav TN765t widescreen street navigation GPS with Bluetooth.

Yaesu FM-2800T heavy-duty 144 Mhz FM Transceiver; hood mounted antenna.

Cobra WX75 CB radio with weather band, controls in mic handset; hood mounted antenna.

Two addition dash-mounted DC outlets; 440 watt AC inverter and DC outlets in the streetside rear seat floor area.

Video camera mounting plate located above center windshield.

Custom front and rear coco fiber floor mats.

Expedition Equipment

Eezi-Awn 1600 T-Top Roof Top Tent with with Annex room. Included is a down comforter and 2" of additional memory foam.

Engle MT40 Fridge with insulation cover on heavy-duty slideout tray.

30 gallon metal fresh water tank with on-demand water pump.

Helton heat exchange hot water heating system.

Removeable shower system hose system with temperature control.

Rear potable water spigot.

Water purification cartridge.

Isolated AGM auxiliary battery under bed cover.

National Luna battery separation system with interior gauge; permits combining aux battery with chassis battery for dead-battery starting.

Blue Sea fuse block; high-quality wiring.

1500W GoPower modified sine wave inverter.

GoPower solar controller with exterior inlet for quick connection of a portable solar panel.

Built in 3 gallon LP tank behind bumper; has quick connect hose/regulator system for camp stove hookup (included).

Rear exterior 12v and 120v outlets.

Rear 15 amp input for shore power/battery charging.

Door lock security hasps with Master disc locks.

Removable drawer set with two 70-poundcapacity sliding fiberglass drawers.

Custom steel table drops from swing-out carrier.

Large tailgate-mounted cutting board.

Additional Items Included

Extensive records and receipts including original owner’s manual and window sticker.

Extensive spares collection with belts, fuses, filters, hoses, etc.

Air hose with pressure gauge.

Quick Fist-mounted fire extinguisher.

Driver’s seat mounted LED Maglight.

Rear spare mounted Boomerang Joey Pack utility tire to provide additional exterior storage.

PETT toilet with two dozen WAG bags and Bass Pro expandable privy tent.

Second-generation Trasharoo utility bag to hold PETT and privy tent.

Two-burner propane stove in as-new condition, nested cookware set, Lexan dinnerware set, flatware and kitchen utensils.

Mint-condition copy of the Winter 2007 Overland Journal featuring this truck.

Scott’s big thread about getting the truck constructed in the first place is here: http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/6,

and there was enough interest for him to create a separate FAQ thread here:
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/17.

The build threads for the custom fabrication done by James Roy are here:
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/16753
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/19535
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/18607.

You can also look at the two previous sale threads to get additional information and additional pictures; the sale threads are here:
Scott's: http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/13793
James's: http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/25585.

It's also kind of cool to review the trip the truck made to the edge of the Arctic Ocean: http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/4227

and if you go here: http://vimeo.com/6486709
you can see the videos made of the Tacoma’s Arctic Ocean trip.

Finally, Scott has still left extensive information about the Tacoma during its Expeditions West tenure on the website here:
http://www.expeditionswest.com/vehic...oma/index.html

Please check the previous post for links to extensive picture and descriptions of the truck. If additional information is needed, don’t hesitate to send me a private message which I’ll respond to promptly.

Attachments

• P1010946-L.jpg
    P1010946-L.jpg
    174.1 KB · Views: 3,318
  • IMG_1099-S.jpg
    IMG_1099-S.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 13,382
Last edited:

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
I wonder what the record on web forums is for the most times the same rig has been sold?
Then again this really isn't the "same" rig as I remember it from back in the day and each owner seems to have made it better along the way.

Good luck with the sale.

p1michaud

Expedition Leader
Always have a soft spot for this era of Tacoma. Started my 4WD exploration journey in one of these. Well built vehicle.

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
I wonder what the record on web forums is for the most times the same rig has been sold?
I dunno, Lance . . . four times in ten years isn't too bad. It's just that this truck is so iconic that whenever it gets sold, it generates a huge, hard-to-ignore, sales thread. ;)

For anyone interested in buying a truck suitable for ANY overlanding task you have in mind, just do it. Scott Brady designed and built it to go anywhere without requiring any particular hardship, and he succeeded. The comfort level is high, range is good, equipment is comprehensive, and the truck is uber-capable on all sorts of roads. Yet it is still a perfectly workable truck for daily driving and is safe, solid and enjoyable on pavement. And the quality of the componentry is superb; if someone gave you the Tacoma for free, you could not outfit it to this specification for anywhere near the asking price.

I have no vested interest in the sale, but in all honesty, if someone said "The two of us want to explore to Central America (the Yukon/the Desert Southwest/etc.) and we want to leave next week in the most capable truck available," you'd want them to go in this one.

GR8ADV

Explorer
any info on the custom bed boxes?

Both have very cool one of a kind lockable lids and are integral to the custom box cover. The driver side contains the house battery, the Luna control, the solar inverter and access to the 30 gal water tank vent used when filling. There is extra room for what ever you would want to store in there but given it has the battery I leave well enough alone. The passenger side box empty and is used by me for storage. There I keep tools, spares, air hose, water tank fill hose, propane hose, rope, strap, well you get the idea. I can post pics tonight if interested.

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
I dunno, Lance . . . four times in ten years isn't too bad. It's just that this truck is so iconic that whenever it gets sold, it generates a huge, hard-to-ignore, sales thread. ;)

4 time is 5 years....Scott posted it for sale in 2008 and this is 2013.
Not picking on you as I agree this is a great vehicle. Just a shame to see it keep changing hands as each of the owners have been great people and ones I thought would be able to afford the money & time to travel in it.
Of course each owner has also been the type NOT to abuse this rig so the next owner can at least buy knowing that.

I agree that it is a very capable rig and is ready to travel the world...just super rare to see the same rig get sold 4 times on a forum.

GR8ADV

Explorer
4 time is 5 years....Scott posted it for sale in 2008 and this is 2013.
Not picking on you as I agree this is a great vehicle. Just a shame to see it keep changing hands as each of the owners have been great people and ones I thought would be able to afford the money & time to travel in it.
Of course each owner has also been the type NOT to abuse this rig so the next owner can at least buy knowing that.

I agree that it is a very capable rig and is ready to travel the world...just super rare to see the same rig get sold 4 times on a forum.

I don't think it is a shame. Just think of it as the EXPO version of the Sisterhood of the Travelling Pants...

All seriousness aside...Each will have their own reason. Oddly enough this is a vehicle that one could comfortably use as their daily driver (really, it drives like my 4Runner) and my wife will not go 'regular' camping, but is up for a road trip in the Tacoma anytime anywhere as riding, sleeping, cooking is all a dream for her in the truck she has aptly named the 'Adventure Vehicle'. For us it is just timing and a couple major things have changed. I think maybe one of the reasons for folks is that the vehicle is just so over the top cool that it almost deserves more. But I must admit, my definition of adventure might be different from others. :) For me, in 3 years, it is a whole different story. So maybe I should just hold on to it and continue to take it on shorter weeklong trips into BC, Death Valley, Colorado, Yosemite... Don't get me started, I went around and around til I got dizzy before putting the ad together.

Last edited:

GR8ADV

Explorer
To show/answer a few questions:

1) how the shower works. From the pic below you can see the covered shower hose connection that is on the driver side of the rear box. There is a special shower hose that connects to this that allows you to get viable hot warm or cold water for your shower kinda of like what you have at home.

IMG_1086-M.jpg

How it looks is this. I remember this day. Off somewhere east of the west coast of Cali. It was a long day. All we could think of was a shower and a drink. No tent set up, no clean up, very purposeful. Oh that felt good :) You can see the hose connected to the pop up facility. Yes the pop up facility is included in the sale; everything is. If you look very close you can see my wifes foot in the shower. Should you ever meet please do not say that you saw her in the shower.

IMG_0462-M.jpg

2) how good is the fridge? Can it keep ice? Well yes it can keep it and it can make it too. Which is why there is a fridge temp gauge in the cab of the truck to monitor. Here is a shot of the limes in the process of becoming margaritas. For those with maps, this is about 7,000 up somewhere on a side (path) off a side road in the Sequoia National Forest.

P1020725-M.jpg

3) The diff lock switch. The first showing the secondary battery monitory gauge on top and the secondary fuel tank on the bottom. The diff lock switch is in the lower left.

IMG_1091-S.jpg IMG_1092-S.jpg

Last edited:

Toyotero

Explorer

Are you willing to part it out?

Just kidding. :p
This is my favorite vehicles ever on ExPo.
Best of luck with the sale.

Ford Prefect

Expedition Leader
:oops:

And I used to teach math. Color me impaired.

Another proof.... Those that can't do, teach! :D

If I may be so bold, I think one of the things about this truck is that you can not get a loan for its worth, and that is a lot of money to have tied up into one vehicle at one time. Personally I would enjoy something like this, but could never be willing to drop that much of my savings in one place. (Unless I was actually ready to leave for an RTW, or at least live in the thing for several months.)

I say keep it, if you can, and enjoy it on the weekends! This is a truck you can keep around for a long time, may as well do it!

Good luck selling.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94