Truck security

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
:yikes: I'm not that old, I don't think. But old enough to remember Dragnet and Joe Friday, just the facts mam.....

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
Thanks Southpier, if people think they already know the answer why you are in an area they don't ask the question.

Before anyone slaps a sign on a vehicle, better check on state laws for commercial tags, they usually list types of exemptions and size of vehicles. The cops may want a commercial tag on a commercial truck. I had good luck with real estate signs, take a couple pics of some land and go back in the bushes. Realtors are usually exempt from vehicle license requirements, never approach but I was with the plumber sign and had to come clean with the officer and he went away.

You guys with obvious camping rigs may not find this that easy. South of me, there is a guy with a truck camper and trailer who sells stuff, everything from cheap tools to guitars and stuffed toys at road sides (with permission I'm sure, hmmm, maybe not). He lives in the thing around Branson in the summer. His truck is multi colored to attract attention has "Big Sale" on it. He sets some stuff out, sets up the awning, fires up the BBQ and stays right there for several days and moves on. When I pass by he is usually talking to someone selling stuff too. At night he packs up and locks up and stays inside. The only reason I mention this guy is because, again, it's obvious what he's doing, he is not seen as a threat by the locals (probably knows them all by now anyway).

If I were pulling a trailer with an RTT and needed to stay in town, I'd stay in stealth mode in the truck and cover the trailer so it could appear it was a utility work trailer.

Guess those with big rigs, MOGS and such can't really hide, so drag out the chains and locks, motion sensor lights, turn the alarms on turn your security cameras along the vehicle and turn the TV up loud enough that it say's you're home. :)

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
Gotta disagree with the bad azz act, if you look like an azz it could be an invitation for problems, especially when they have their car full of their bandana buddies with those things that make loud noises. But it sounded cool. Besides, real bad azzes don't act the part, be aware of the surroundings without bringing attention to yourself. Keeping a low profile, being low key and appearing unconcerned is much better at avoiding trouble, IMO.

How long can the Doberman stay in your vehicle?

A pro thief doesn't want attention, noise or a difficult target, they want in, and be gone. If they see a "club" on the wheel they will go to the next vehicle. If they see an alarm sticker they might keep looking.

Some good stuff by Buliwyf in the woods or in stealth mode, can't even light up a smoke! OTH, in the lighted parking at the hospital you may not need to hide. Again, keep a low profile and don't attract attention, I have no idea how the guys in the MOGs do that. Guess they are high enough you can't look in. Dark limo tent is great, so are curtains. I use to do investigations, my "spy on them van" was blacked out with a curtain behind the drivers seat. I was sitting in Swope Park in KC at night (not a good place to be) the van was dark blue. I was sitting inside with my camera running and a couple guys came up to the window right in front of me and cupped their hands (have no idea why, like to shade their eyes at night) and looked in. They didn't see me two feet away, or the 9mm on my desk or the 12 gauge in my hand! They just walked away thinking it belonged to someone they knew. LOL

I've done a lot of stealth parking in cities and in the woods. Different tactics, but the main thing is not to be noticed in the first place.

Used magnetic signs, not so much for security but as an excuse to be somewhere. Sunset Realty. Sunset Home Inspections. Dale's Plumbing. Lone Pine Cemetery. Sometimes being in an area where you don't belong brings attention from those you don't want to meet regardless of the color of your vehicle. Used them on my gold F-150 with running boards and a cap cover too, never a problem. It's called pretexting, appearing to be someone you are not. Lowe's isn't going to complain if there is a Dale's Plumbing truck in the lot overnight. If there is an obvious reason for you to be somewhere, there are fewer questions and most won't give it a second thought. :)

Good stuff
-
There's also no law about Dales Plumbing being a green circle like emblem that is similar to a white state park truck, or public utilities symbol from a distance. Just make sure it's obviously very different up close, otherwise the real utilities guys will come over for coffee and shovel watching.

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
Thanks and very good point! Logos may be registered trademarks. Getting too close to any federal or state logo or law enforcement emblem, even appearing to be can be a problem, there are laws in that arena, so careful. If you do infringe on a company logo, they must give you notice of the infringement and demand, a civil matter, at which point you can stop using it, no harm no foul.

If you want a real estate thing, you can use the equal housing logo required by HUD.

I also volunteered for the Red Cross, I had a sticker on a card I could post, handy for hospital short term parking. Blood Transport - Do Not Delay.

I'd think another good sign and cover would be with your county emergency management, actually volunteer, take courses, etc. Good for the community and you'll probably get a sticker or get to use a sign or markings. I've seen county emergency management on private vehicles from other states, so you're not just tied to your area really. I didn't do this, my brother in law is a big wig in our EM area as a volunteer. They go to seminars all over and visit other offices. Kind of an "official pass".

Volunteer Fire Department is another good one, some LEOs will let you slide by a little faster. It also says you may have some great equipment on board.....depends where you are.

If you do any "pretexting" acting like a plumber, Realtor or whatever, you also need to know enough about that subject. I've had people come up to me and start talking and ask a question, gotta be able to pull it off or you'll blow your cover. :ylsmoke:

andreagold

1. Kill switch an anti-theft device that can be activated to shut down part of the engine’s electrical system.
2. Hood lock will block access to the battery and will dissuade thieves who sell car parts.
3. Tire Lock, take time and effort to attach and remove; a highly visible and hard to get off product.

Wilbah

Adventurer
Have any of you guys ever looked at the Ravelco "plug"? $500 for a car/truck. (No I am not affiliated with them in any way shape or form) but seems like it might be a decent deterrent for the whole vehicle getting taken.

www.neverstolen.com

I like the idea of the sign(s) and I am also of the mindset that the more innocuous a vehicle looks (and hide away the laptops, gps, etc. the less likely it will attract attention.

I am thinking "EBOLA TRANSPORT VEHICLE" with a couple of urine sample cups on the dash should keep folks away. :xxrotflma

mathers420

Observer
Ravelco has a specific definition of "never stolen", if someone tows your car away, they would not count it as stolen because their system was not defeated.

I'd be more scared of losing my ravelco key, but I quite often have a huge, seemingly aggressive dog in my truck which acts as it's own theft deterrent, however it's winter/cold weather only.

Ducky's Dad

Explorer
I have seen the parking violator's wheel boot sold commercially. It's a pain in the rear and you have to keep track of two more keys, but a boot and a wheel lock will probably keep the vehicle from disappearing. If you are worried about being towed, put a boot on both ends. Or thread a large chain with padlock through the wheel vents and around the axle. Make sure it's obvious or the perps might try to drive away and just succeed in tearing up your truck. If they are determined, you can't really stop them, but you can slow them down a whole bunch.

huntsonora

Explorer
-Dress like a badA$$, eye contact with everyone every time you park. Noone F's with me when I'm in my black t-shirt and Khakis. But when I'm in a hawaiien T shirt all the beggers want a handout. Don't look like a yuppie tourist.

Im buying a Tapout shirt... :)

Wilbah

Adventurer
What about LoJack? If your truck does get stolen, they should find it. Anybody use this system? http://www.lojack.com/Cars,-Trucks-And-Classics

I have had LoJack on a few cars. The insurance savings basically paid for it. Fortunately never had to use it. GM's with OnStar do the same thing now (or actually better now as they can find the car, disable the vehicle from being started or if stolen and being driven they'll direct cops to where it is and then will cut power and bring it to a stop. Kind of like your own Bait car. Ha!)

southpier

Expedition Leader
in theory that's perfect, but after a few years do the electronic bugaboos start creating havoc with odd behavioral problems? my father had a volkwagen that wouldn't start in the rain.

southpier

Expedition Leader
anyone secure their van or suv doors (other than driver's) from the inside? wouldn't help with glass break or entry, but maybe slow down exit and subsequently the ability to take much out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94