AEV Brute Expedition Build in Dubai

Jim K in PA

Adventurer
A bit more CAD work for tonight:

Securing a car on a trailer using the body / chassis can be a BAD idea - especially if the straps to not have snap-hooks on them. As the car bounces on the suspension while it's on the trailer, those straps are going slack and pulled tight again, repeatedly. If you're really unlucky, the hooks can fall out. That won't happen with these tie-down tabs welded to the axle housing. These front ones fit up flush against the swaybar mounting points.

10271372_10152215592937647_7464195676950091445_o.jpg

Or you can just use an axle strap:

85543_full.jpg

precision powder

Backwoods Explorer
Yup pretty much exactly that :) you did the washers as well? The coating doesn't get damaged while tightening?

Awesome! This one has a nice fine texture, I would recommend a mini texture over a regular one, little more smooth for a better fit.

Yes ma'am, I do ALL the hardware that goes on my Jeep. Nuts, washers, clamps, bars, etc. Every new piece that goes on gets coated and any piece that comes off that will be getting put back on gets coated. When the parts are preppped and cured correctly you will not see any damage to the coating

I feel that is makes things, especially things I build or add on, to look more natural...like they belong.

10360470_10152868539509879_8831755188082720341_n.jpg

Oman4x4

Laurie Bridger
Or you can just use an axle strap:

85543_full.jpg

That's a nice looking tie down.

But the idea is that when it's ridiculously hot and humid here - I want something I can quickly and easily just reach for and with one hand snap the hook on to, rather than route the strap around the more delicate parts etc...

Both axles have custom brackets welded on them anyway so will be re-coated so why not :)

precision powder

Backwoods Explorer
I think I missed it but what are you doing in terms of axles and gearing? Any changes to the motor as well? This is a lot of extra weight to push around now.

Oman4x4

Laurie Bridger
I think I missed it but what are you doing in terms of axles and gearing? Any changes to the motor as well? This is a lot of extra weight to push around now.

It's on stock axles (D30 front, D44 rear) and 4.88 gearing for now with the stock 4.0L motor. It's not so bad as the sand is quite gentle on the axles especially if you're using the large tires to deflate a lot and using them for floatation. Very different from rocky situations where you might be spinning the tires and then suddenly find traction.

After I recover from paying for this stage of the build - the future plans will most likely include a wider track-width D44 up front and D60 out back, and at the very least a 4.6L Golen Stroker I6 engine (makes it easy as everything fits.) May do a V8 swap but the simplicity of the Golen swap appeals to me. :)

Jim K in PA

Adventurer
That's a nice looking tie down.

But the idea is that when it's ridiculously hot and humid here - I want something I can quickly and easily just reach for and with one hand snap the hook on to, rather than route the strap around the more delicate parts etc...

Both axles have custom brackets welded on them anyway so will be re-coated so why not :)

Oh, I hear you. I hauled race cars around for 20 years so strapping down a car after a long, hot weekend is not high on my list of favorite things to do. Just make sure your added brackets don't become catch points as well as tie down points. Not an issue in 100% sand, I am sure, but you may not always be in sand. ;)

After I recover from paying for this stage of the build - the future plans will most likely include a wider track-width D44 up front and D60 out back, and at the very least a 4.6L Golen Stroker I6 engine (makes it easy as everything fits.) May do a V8 swap but the simplicity of the Golen swap appeals to me. :)

D60s are HEAVY axles. Make sure you need one before taking the plunge. Trussing a D44 would probably be more than strong enough, and still weigh less than a D60. To each his/her own, of course.

With respect to the stroker vs V8 swap, I am with you 100% on going with the stroker. But . . . do your homework on the Golen. I am sure you are aware of the Jeepstrokers forum. Do you know Dino Sawa from Al Ain? http://www.jeep4.0performance.4mg.com/contact.html You definitely want to talk to him about building a stroker in the UAE.

There are lots of hidden gotchas on the LS swap. The adapter plate and mounts are the easy part.

Also, there are now a couple of people tuning the '05/'06 NGC controllers, so building a late TJ stroker has even less headaches if you want to go big.

stomperxj

Explorer
If you have access to LS Vortecs over there the V8 swap is the way to go from the guys I have talked to. They are a superior motor in design, make good HP for cheap and get excellent mileage to boot.

Oman4x4

Laurie Bridger
Oh, I hear you. I hauled race cars around for 20 years so strapping down a car after a long, hot weekend is not high on my list of favorite things to do. Just make sure your added brackets don't become catch points as well as tie down points. Not an issue in 100% sand, I am sure, but you may not always be in sand. ;)

D60s are HEAVY axles. Make sure you need one before taking the plunge. Trussing a D44 would probably be more than strong enough, and still weigh less than a D60. To each his/her own, of course.

With respect to the stroker vs V8 swap, I am with you 100% on going with the stroker. But . . . do your homework on the Golen. I am sure you are aware of the Jeepstrokers forum. Do you know Dino Sawa from Al Ain? http://www.jeep4.0performance.4mg.com/contact.html You definitely want to talk to him about building a stroker in the UAE.

There are lots of hidden gotchas on the LS swap. The adapter plate and mounts are the easy part.

Also, there are now a couple of people tuning the '05/'06 NGC controllers, so building a late TJ stroker has even less headaches if you want to go big.

Thanks :) Yep I've messaged Dino before but haven't had the pleasure of meeting him face to face yet. Definitely a good knowledge source though and when the funds are in the pocket I'll definitely run it by him. :)

Are there any issues that you know of with the Golen? All I know from what friends have gone through is that stroking the motor here is problematic... but getting a long-block already set up ready to drop in has worked well for those that have done it. The latter is the only way I would do it.

Also the front tie down tabs are real close to the steering knuckles and are still above the lower control arms so they are not the lowest point... and I'm not likely to be tackling terrain severe enough for it to matter. Primarily sand / rocks that aren't big enough to scrape. The convenience definitely outweighs any risk of scraping. But of course the idea may not be for everyone's needs. :)

As for the big axles... they would be done to prep it for the bigger engine, and also for the track width. For the cost of the parts and the shipping, might as well do it once and for all and do the D60. If it never breaks on me then it was money well spent :)

Oman4x4

Laurie Bridger
If you have access to LS Vortecs over there the V8 swap is the way to go from the guys I have talked to. They are a superior motor in design, make good HP for cheap and get excellent mileage to boot.

Plenty of V8 GM cars and trucks on this side of the planet... so that's definitely an option. I get the impression that they are easier to keep cool than the big SRT8 series motors. On the one hand I like the idea of the Stroker being easy to work with all the wiring, mountings, and extras like A/C, On Board Air, Power Steering etc etc. - but on the other hand I also like the idea of a V8 comfortably making around 300-350 hp without being strained...

Will see... it's not on the plans to be done before we get the Brute back on the road though :)

Oman4x4

Laurie Bridger
Lots of goodies just arrived in the container :)

Genright Fuel Tank, Ranger Power rear window, Pace Edwards power tonnau cover, universal bedrug kit, BedRug TJ interior kit, some Mopar goodies, Mac's Custom Tie down tracks, and various bits and pieces.

Somehow all this stuff will fit on the tiny Jeep :)

10505583_10152221802957647_7800572666505284784_n.jpg

Oman4x4

Laurie Bridger
Which tank did you go with. I have the 31.5 gal safari tank. LOVE IT!!

It's the 24 Gallon Enduro tank that should fit in the stock location. Super keen to test fit it ASAP incase it conflicts with the 6 pak shocks... May have to get creative there...

I think the 31 gallon tank is only for the Unlimited platform, And you have to remove one cross member? The Brute kit keeps that cross member and then the space in the extension is occupied by having a rear winch.

I'll have the 24 gallon in place of the 19 gallon tank, and I'll be making a custom sub-tank opposite the muffler on the other side of the driveshaft. Using the extra 24" of wheelbase there's a lot of room there for a mid-mounted tank now.

Yuman Desert Rat

Expedition Leader
yeah I had to cut the crossmember. I did the install by myself in my garage. one of the best mods I ever did. GENRIGHT is aa great company to deal with and their products are top notch.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior