Tube benders

BrianTN

Adventurer
Hey everyone, I'm looking at purchasing a tube bender for some projects. These projects are building a rear bumper and some hoops to build a Canback type of bed cover. Does anyone have experience is this area? Any suggestions for a basic, weekend shop worker item? I'm looking for something to bend up to .125 DOM 1.75" tube.

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
craigslist is your friend.

You are going to want an air-hydraulic or electo-hydraulic setup (depending on how much shop air you have now). Make sure you don't get a 3 phase unit if you only have single phase available at your shop.

seanz0rz

Adventurer
The Pro Tools 105 and JD2 (JDsquared) both come to mind. They are relatively inexpensive, and do good work. you can upgrade them with a kit from swag offroad to make them air over hydraulic.

You can also find plans on the internet that you can buy for less than $20 to make your own.

seanz0rz

Adventurer
The fact that it will not do .120" DOM is a deal breaker for me, since that is what I would use it for most of the time.

Price isn't bad though. If it fits your needs, it might be a solution.

BrianTN

Adventurer
Yeah, I was wondering what would happen if 0.12 DOM was used though. Is the jack just not strong enough? Could the jack be exchanged if so? I like everything about this model except that limitation as I would prefer using 0.12 DOM as well.

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
Yeah, I was wondering what would happen if 0.12 DOM was used though. Is the jack just not strong enough? Could the jack be exchanged if so? I like everything about this model except that limitation as I would prefer using 0.12 DOM as well.

I would be concerned about the ability of the rest of the rig to handle more than 8 tons of pressure, unless there are folks who have documented doing it. (Seems like if it were such a simple upgrade they would offer it as an option).

teleturns

Adventurer
I am in the exact same boat. My buddy who had one moved away and now I need to buy one. I want a tube bender that doesn't break the bank. I am really interested in a unit that can sit on the floor or a table and is more portable. The 105 model and the jd2 style of benders are extremely top heavy and need to be anchored to the ground. I like the units that can be placed any where. I am looking into these companies.

https://www.roguefab.com/product.php?id=2

http://www.probender.com/probender/drupal/product/pro3-hydraulic-tube-bender

I am leaning towards the rogue unit.....

Last edited:

RogueFab

Our Bender (RogueFab unit) has plenty of safety factor here, we can bend 1.75x.250 DOM.

I am in the exact same boat. My buddy who had one moved away and now I need to buy one. I want a tube bender that doesn't break the bank. I am really interested in a unit that can sit on the floor or a table and is more portable. The 105 model and the jd2 style of benders are extremely top heavy and need to be anchored to the ground. I like the units that can be placed any where. I am looking into these companies.

https://www.roguefab.com/product.php?id=2

http://www.probender.com/probender/drupal/product/pro3-hydraulic-tube-bender

I am leaning towards the rogue unit.....

Portability was one of our big goals. The bender isn't super light, but it is only about 3 feet long and 2.5 feet tall, and it can support more than 15 feet of almost any tube hanging out the back of the machine without tipping or being anchored to the ground.

Chris85xlt

Adventurer
i have a JD2 and its been great but it will have to be bolted to the floor unless u convert to hydro or hydro/electric and then it can be more mobile

preruntn

I have the JD2 and I have to admit I'm much happier than expected, especially for the price. Everyone is always saying you need some form of hydraulic setup but I have never needed the extra power. Mine is currently bolted to the floor but its first two cage jobs were done mounted to the receiver hitch of the vehicles getting modified. Unless you plan to build for profit, purchase the JD2 and get started. The pic below is the most recent full job done with a manual JD2:
josh wheelin.jpg

teleturns

Adventurer

As Chris85xlt mentioned, if you convert them to hydraulic power, there's no need to anchor them. Both the hydraulic conversion, and a trick rolling base can be made pretty cheaply - check out this thread on GJ

The JD2 bender I have used the most had the hydraulic conversion and a rolling stand. It was still extremely top heavy and sucked to load into a truck. But I do like the set up on garage journal.

Last edited:

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
Makes my old method seem caveman like! Bent pipes of large size, and smaller, around rims bolted to 2x12s, looped in work bench legs and anything we could find that wouldn't move. Used a torch to heat and put your back into it with an even steady pull. Poor folks have poor ways and most kids are poor doing projects. If you just have a few bends and know the size/angle and degree, might be better to go to a fab shop and just have them bend it, what I'd do.

RogueFab

BrianTN- Did you end up finding a bender that best suit your needs? Rogue Fab bender? JD? Something else?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles