phones and tablets coming later in 2013

haven

Expedition Leader
Here are my guesses about the new tablets and phones can we expect in the coming months. What are your predictions?

-----------------
August
-----------------

Samsung Galaxy Note 3 "phablet"
-------------------
This line is Samsung's premium tablet, with AMOLED screen and stylus for on-screen "inking." Likely to be upgraded to Qualcomm Snapdragon S800 processor and Adreno 330 gpu. Likely to upgrade screen resolution from 1280x800 on 5.5 inch screen to 1920x1200 on 5.8 inch screen. Possible 6.3 inch screen size, too. GPS and GLONASS receivers included. Galaxy Note 2 can be used for cellular telephone calls as well as data (AT&T). Will Note 3 retain this feature?

Samsung Galaxy Note 3 10 inch tablet
-------------------
This is Samsung's competitor for full size iPad, and big brother to the 5.8 inch "phablet." The upgrade is likely to use the latest Samsung Exynos 5 "octa" system on a chip. I expect an upgrade to full HD 1920 x 1200 screen, possibly even higher pixel count. The cellular modem will upgrade to include LTE. It's likely the Galaxy Note 3 10 inch will drop cellular voice capability in USA. I expect Galaxy Note 3 prices to track the iPad pricing, so starting at $459.

-----------------
Late September:
-----------------

Apple iPhone
-----------------
Lots of iPhone 6 rumors about screen sizes larger than the iPhone 5's 4 inch, 1136x640 pixel screen. To date, Apple design for the iPhone has been guided by the notion that you should be able to access all the features of the phone while using it with one hand. The acceptance of 5 inch Android phones may force Apple to re-think this model. Today, many Android flagship phones use a 4.7 or 5 inch screen with 1920x1080 resolution (aka Full HD) with pixel density around 440 ppi, much higher than the iPhone's 325 ppi.

Apple may introduce an iPhone 5S model, with same screen and updated processor (faster, uses less power) , plus an iPhone 6 with larger screen.

-----------------
October
-----------------

Apple iPad and iPad Mini
-----------------
iPad is unlikely to change screen resolution, just get a faster, more power-efficient processor. It would be nice if Apple put a GPS chip in its WiFi-only models.

iPad Mini 2 may get upgrade to higher resolution screen, even though this would mean an increase in thickness and weight. The iPad 3 was a big success, even though it was thicker and heavier than the iPad 2. The iPad 3's higher resolution "Retina" screen was enough reason to ignore the size increase. If the Mini 2 increases the screen resolution, Apple might continue to offer the original iPad Mini at a lower price point, attractive to schools and students.

(I read that the LA school district will be purchasing 640,000 iPads for its students over the next 18 months. One reason tablets are attractive to schools is that they can stop buying/transporting/storing/tracking/replacing physical textbooks. I cringe when I see the huge bookbag that elementary students carry around today. With digital copies of books on an iPad, all the students have to worry about is being robbed while walking home.)

Windows 8.1 tablets
-----------------
Microsoft now officially supports Windows 8.1 on devices with smaller screens. I expect to see new 7 and 8 inch tablets running Windows from many manufacturers, along with the original 10 inch models. So far, Windows tablets have not included GPS capability built in, relying instead on external GPS receivers attached by Bluetooth or USB. The smaller tablets may add GPS internally, making a more convenient navigation tool. Let's hope that Microsoft recognizes that they will sell a lot more tablets if the price is closer to the iPad ($450-$650) than they can when the price is $800 to $1000.

I expect Windows RT 8.1 for ARM processors will receive less attention now that Intel plans to deliver improved low power Atom and Core processors in the next 6 months. RT can't run the full universe of Windows applications, while Windows Pro 8.1 can.

Nexus 5 Phone
-----------------
Today's Nexus 4 phone, made by LG, was introduced in September 2012. The Nexus 4 lacks LTE, and has 1 GB RAM and 16 GB memory. The Nexus 4 has a 4.7 inch, 1280 x 768 display. I expect all these features to be upgraded in a new model. Let's hope Google can keep the price around $300. Maybe Motorola, now a subsidiary of Google Inc., will be the manufacturer of the Nexus 5.

----------------
November
---------------

Update to Nexus 10 inch tablet
-----------------
Google caused a sensation when they introduced the Nexus 10 with a 2560 x 1600 pixel screen for $400 last November. The Nexus 10 is built by Samsung, and powered by a dual core Samsung Exynos 5250 processor. Today, Samsung has an eight core Exynos 5xxx "system on a chip" with 20% more CPU power and 2X improvement in graphics performance, all while using less battery power.

Amazon Kindle
----------------
The $199 7 inch Kindle Fire HD was introduced in September 2012. Compared to the newly released Nexus 7, the Fire HD lacks GPS and access to the full Google Play store, has a lower resolution 1280x800 screen, uses a dual core processor and is a little large and heavy. I expect Amazon to respond with a new version of the Fire HD in time for the holidays. The Fire HD will be marketed with ties to Amazon's Prime service and special book deals, which are attractive inducements.

seanz0rz

Adventurer
I'm waiting patiently for the Nexus 10. The 7 just isn't big enough to justify itself. I already have a 4.7" phone and a 14 inch ultrabook, so I need something in between and I want big maps for topo. My birthday is in November, so hopefully I'll treat myself to a birthday present!

haven

Expedition Leader
IFA showcases new Android products

The IFA conference, going on this week in Berlin, is used by electronics manufacturers worldwide to showcase the products that they hope will tempt holiday shoppers. Here's a quick list of the new items that caught my attention. Details like price and availability will be released later this month.

Tablets
-------------------------
these models have GPS capability

LG G Pad 8.3
1920x1200 display 273 ppi
1.7 GHz Snapdragon 600
2 GB RAM, 16 GB storage
QPair software links tablet to Android phones

Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1, 2014 edition
10.1 inch, 2560x1600 color LCD

ASUS Transformer Pad
10 inch 2560x1600 LCD, Tegra 4 processor

ASUS Fonepad 7
7 inch 1280x800 display, Atom processor

ASUS MeMO Pad 8

Sony Xperia Tablet Z
16GB $500, 32 GB $600
16 GB w/LTE, $629
unlocked, would work with ATT and T-Mobile in USA
full HD 1920x1080 screen
Mobile Bravia Engine 2 for screen
connect by NFC to compatible TV, smart phone, audio speakers
water resistant
quad care processor
0.27 inc thickness
16.9 oz
http://store.sony.com/tablet

Phones

Three of these new phones have screens larger than 6 inches

Sony Xperia Z1
2.2 GHz Snapdragon 800 processor
2 GB RAM
5 inch 1920x1080 display
20.7 MP camera, F2 aperture, 3X optical zoom
3000 mAh battery
water resistant
HTC One Max
2.3GHz quad-core Snapdragon 800 SoC
5.9-inch 1080p Super LCD3 display
2GB of RAM with 16GB of internal, microSD-expandable storage
3200 or 3300mAh battery unit

Samsung Galaxy Note 3
5.7 inch, 1920x1080 display
2.3 GHz Snapdragon 800 or eight-core Exynos 5 Octa processor
3 GB RAM
13 megapixel rear facing camera
stylus control integrated into more software
improvements to Multi-Window function
assume phone call function will be included
Galaxy Note 2 can make phone calls

Acer Liquid S2
6 inch, 1920x1080 IPS display
Snapdragon 800
2GB RAM
3300 mAh battery

ASUS Fonepad Note 6
Six inch, 1920x1080 display
2 GHz Intel Atom Z2580 dual-core CPU
2GB of RAM
16 or 32GB of storage with MicroSD
8MP rear camera.
battery is 3200mAh

Alcatel One Touch Hero
6 inch, 1920x1080 LCD
1.5 GHz quad core processor
2 GB RAM
Android
digital pen input
3400 mAh battery
optional cover with eInk LCD

Other portable gadgets

Three companies showed smart watch models

Samsung Galaxy Gear smart watch
1.63 inch, 320x320 pixel color LCD
1.9 megapixel camera in watch band
70 apps by partners at launch
designed to work with Android 4.3 devices

Sony SmartWatch 2
1.6 inch color LCD, 220x176 pixels

Qualcomm Toq watch
pronounced like "talk"
Mirasol low power color touchscreen that is always on

Sony HDR-AS30V action cam
competitor to Hero
smaller and lighter than original Sony action cam
connect via WiFi to smart phone or new Live-View remote
Exmor R CMOS sensor, GPS, NFC

Sony QX10, QX100 lens kit cameras
looks like a digital camera that lacks an LCD display
control, view photos on a smart phone via WiFi and a Sony app

Fireman78

Expedition Leader
That Samsung Galaxy Smartwatch looks pretty darn cool! Only thing is it only links up with the Galaxy Note phone. Hopefully they will make it more universal. It is kinda scary though, that thing has a camera and video rec built into the wrist strap. Not sure that is such a swell idea.

Sent from my GT-P7310 using Tapatalk 2

haven

Expedition Leader
likely October announcement dates

Nexus 5 Phone -- Oct 15
the next generation is rumored to have larger screen, faster processor, LTE, latest Android OS, but the same $299 price as the Nexus 4

Windows 8.1 -- Oct 17
The update will be used in lots of new tablets, laptops and desktops
Windows 8.1 RT, an update to the version that supports ARM processors, will be released as well

Apple iPad and iPad Mini -- Oct 22
iPad Mini likely to get a higher resolution screen, iPad may get the 64 bit processor used in the new iPhone 5s
possible that current iPad Mini will continue at a lower price point (sort of like MacBook vs MacBook Pro laptops)
rumors of smaller (6 inch screen) and larger (13 inch screen) iPads
Apple also is likely to unveil the ship dates for the Mac Pro tower and Mac OS 10.9, aka "Mavericks"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94