Swing-down rear tire carrier

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
rear tire mount 03.jpg

So now that I have made the change to SRW, I need to develop a way to stow the spare. The best option is going to be off the back of the truck on a drop down mount. Any pointers to folks that have done something similar to this already?

Thanks!

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
Have a look at Westyss build.
A couple of images showing it folding down seem to have disappeared, but but the basic design images are still there.

Also, the new ATW Global Warrior has a swing down spare wheel arrangement which uses the rear recovery winch. From memory your truck has a rear winch, so that style of system could work for you.

boblynch

Adventurer
We did something similar with our rear spare (see build thread for details) using a modified Torklift Superhitch to carry the weight to the frame vs. on the camper. It took some trial and error to get the dimensions correct, but we like it. I'm looking at options to add a rear bike carrier so this setup may change soon. I'm in NC as well. Feel free to PM me.

westyss

Explorer
Have a look at Westyss build.
A couple of images showing it folding down seem to have disappeared, but but the basic design images are still there.

Also, the new ATW Global Warrior has a swing down spare wheel arrangement which uses the rear recovery winch. From memory your truck has a rear winch, so that style of system could work for you.

The images were on a different page, here they are http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/48351-out-with-the-old-in-with-the-new/page15
having the wheel not quite on the ground is not really good, the thing is very heavy to lift off the mounting bolts even at shin hieght, also for me the need to empty out the box that is also mounted on the rack would probably suck if on a trail but I have yet to need to change a tire on the trail.

pugslyyy

The images were on a different page, here they are http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/48351-out-with-the-old-in-with-the-new/page15
having the wheel not quite on the ground is not really good, the thing is very heavy to lift off the mounting bolts even at shin hieght, also for me the need to empty out the box that is also mounted on the rack would probably suck if on a trail but I have yet to need to change a tire on the trail.

Thanks, I see how you set it up now!

Ford Prefect

Expedition Leader
I would seriously look at the way Jay did the EcoRoamer's spare tires.

With your design you will have to lower the tire, then pick it up off the ground. If you put the tire on the outside of that bar, with a hinge from the top back down to the tire, you can lower it so the tire is standing up. Plus this would make a great Outdoor table when you wanted one. This way the tire just rolls right off and into place, and the flat can roll right back and bolt up.

Is my suggestion making sense? Same mount, at the top put a hinge with a bar (or two) that comes back down to the tire. It would almost be like a swing away tire carrier for an SUV, only mounted no the side.

You would need to make your existing pivot point out behind the truck, but other than that... It seems people are always trying to make a cool outdoor table too, so I thought that was a nifty idea.

I do have one question though...

Your truck already seems to... sag... if you will... in the rear end. Might it be better to put the tire on the front of the truck?

pugslyyy

I would seriously look at the way Jay did the EcoRoamer's spare tires.

With your design you will have to lower the tire, then pick it up off the ground. If you put the tire on the outside of that bar, with a hinge from the top back down to the tire, you can lower it so the tire is standing up. Plus this would make a great Outdoor table when you wanted one. This way the tire just rolls right off and into place, and the flat can roll right back and bolt up.

Is my suggestion making sense? Same mount, at the top put a hinge with a bar (or two) that comes back down to the tire. It would almost be like a swing away tire carrier for an SUV, only mounted no the side.

You would need to make your existing pivot point out behind the truck, but other than that... It seems people are always trying to make a cool outdoor table too, so I thought that was a nifty idea.

I do have one question though...

Your truck already seems to... sag... if you will... in the rear end. Might it be better to put the tire on the front of the truck?

I'm considering adding in some additional 2" receivers that the tire carrier would mount to so I think I'm moving away from the idea of tying it in underneath.

There's really no way to put it on the front unless I put it on the roof rack - which I don't want to do. I currently carry 2 spares aft of the rear axle that will be replaced by the super single so it won't increase weight (but will increase moment).

Alastair D(Aus)

aging but active
If you continue with the swing up design then consider putting another pulley on the rear just above the top of the wheel when closed. This will not effect the first part of the lift but will positively pull the frame in. You could incorporate it into some sort of locking/anti rub bracket.
I am going to use a vertical lift system using an arm and pulley and my rear winch which is mount between the chassis rails. I want the wheel vertical when on the ground so I can just roll it into position. My 'crane' column and arm will mount on the frame which will carry the spare(s) rather than the camper. The frame will bolt to the subframe and project out just enough.
All designs are dynamic - I usually see a better way or the fatal flaw just as I have started to cut steel and build.
cheers

pugslyyy

If you continue with the swing up design then consider putting another pulley on the rear just above the top of the wheel when closed. This will not effect the first part of the lift but will positively pull the frame in. You could incorporate it into some sort of locking/anti rub bracket.
I am going to use a vertical lift system using an arm and pulley and my rear winch which is mount between the chassis rails. I want the wheel vertical when on the ground so I can just roll it into position. My 'crane' column and arm will mount on the frame which will carry the spare(s) rather than the camper. The frame will bolt to the subframe and project out just enough.
All designs are dynamic - I usually see a better way or the fatal flaw just as I have started to cut steel and build.
cheers

Yes - and I'm not a fabricator. My ideas usually change pretty dramatically once I talk about what I want to have happen and let someone with more expertise tell me how they would do it!

Alastair D(Aus)

aging but active
John,
Damn - after seeing your construction I now have to rethink my intended design. Yours has some features I like.
Grudgingly I have to say thank you for the contribution.
cheers

pugslyyy

Every design has its strengths and weaknesses. I had a swing down system on two vehicles and found them VERY cumbersome, esp when on an uneven surface.

This time, I went with the following:

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/77493-Fuso-FM260-Rear-Rack-tires-and-m-c

Maybe some ideas for you ... maybe irrelevant.

John

I like what you did, I need to see if something along those lines would work. Issue is the rear door on the camper that has to be accomodated + me wanting to snug the tire in over the 'step' of the truck camper.

Maverick1701

Adventurer
Some of the older russian military trucks have that same king of tire carrier...Urals? ZILs? I can't recall for sure. If you keep an eye on ebay you might find just the carrier...but they dont come up for sale on ebay often.

first pic obviously in the foreground
second pic the carriers are a little bit off in the background...sorta.

russian.jpgrussian 2.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94