Looking to build trailer Ideas and Input welcome

LOW50S

Observer
Hello everyone, I have been a lurker on the site for a while, I just decided to sign up not to long ago, I just want to say I love looking at all of the members builds and how great they turn out, and you all seem like a knowledgeable group to bounce ideas off of.

Some insight: I currently drive a 2001 Chevy Silverado 1500HD I have had the truck around 50k for right now it does what I need it do.

IMG_20130727_180358_716.jpg

for my little trips I have a old Flightway Hard Slide in camper, the lady and I bought it from some of her family members, for being a old unit it works for us, but the only down falls is it has, No water, and she thinks thats a major issue. Also it is a PITA to load and unload this by myself, being I only have 2 jacks, they are jacks that I have to balance the camper and lift to load it into my truck. So when we travel we are limited to what we can do because I can not load and unload the truck while we are camping.

When the truck is loaded you can tell its very top heavy and it has the aerodynamics of a giant box!!

IMG_20130727_180422_915.jpgIMG_20130727_180439_697.jpg

So with this I think I would like to build a smaller trailer, or something that I can tow with my truck, has water, heat, and A/C to make the other half VERY HAPPY!
I have been looking at what people have done here and I am thinking like a base camp trailer, but I am wondering how heavy some peoples home builds are?

I can find local 1/2 ton military trailers, from 800-1500 they pop up on CL but since I am wanting something with hard sides I dont know if I should just buy one of those and build to suit or just start from a axle and build a frame around it.

What are some of you members ideas?

The trailer does not need to be built to do major off road or trail crawling, just slight trails, as my truck is not a real trail worthy contender. so first its the major question

Build or buy ??

Just want to say thanks to everyone who chimes in ! :)

LOW50S

Observer
Ive decided to start just gathering materials to build my own trailer, I figured why buy something to change it when I can just build it to begin with.
now I just need to figure if I want to use 2x2 1/8 thick or 2/3 1/8 thick to start the frame with.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior