SPOT Gen3 satellite tracker

Matt_OCENS

Observer
I'm pretty sure that Delorme uses the Iridium satellite network instead of Globalstar, for better coverage and reliability. GlobalStar is really the Achilles heal of Spot.

This is correct, which is also why it provides two-way communications capabilities.

Matt_OCENS

Observer
For those of you who aren't aware, the newest Iridium phone model, the 9575, has automated GPS position reporting (tracking) and an SOS button built in, so if you were planning on investing in a satellite phone anyway, you wouldn't necessarily have to carry two different devices and you would automatically have tracking capabilities via the Iridium network, which is the most comprehensive.

The IsatPhone Pro from Inmarsat allows you to manually send GPS position reports via SMS as well. For a full fledged satellite phone at $599 there isn't a huge price gap between it and some of the tracking devices. Also, by using a prepaid plan with this phone, you can get your monthly cost down to under $17/month. Inmarsat covers the entire world between the 60N and 60S latitudes, which is the majority of the world's landmass, however if you are in Alaska or other extreme latitudes, you'd want to stick with Iridium.

Any of the satellite phone models available provide SMS messaging and SMS-to-email capabilities. The other thing to keep in mind is that there are many different web-based tracking portals available and some are capable of receiving position reports from virtually any type of GPS enabled communications device (including your smartphone), so you shouldn't feel limited by the particular portal that a provider makes available.

robgendreau

Explorer
I've consulted a number of dictionaries and none of them list the word "booted" in the context you do. Perhaps a better word is "botched"? At least people will understand what you are trying to say. :snorkel:

I'd like to read more about the accident you spoke of, do you recall any actual details which are Internet searchable? I found this one but it's somewhat vague.

Thanks.

Sorry... Dunno where that word came from. Botched is right.

Here's the Coasties report:

http://offshore.ussailing.org/AssetFactory.aspx?vid=19623

Basically SPOT wasn't the right tool, but they might have died anyway.

Crom

Expo this, expo that, exp
Sorry... Dunno where that word came from. Botched is right.

Here's the Coasties report:

http://offshore.ussailing.org/AssetFactory.aspx?vid=19623

Basically SPOT wasn't the right tool, but they might have died anyway.

Thank you Sir. I read the report. It was the tragedy of the Aegean and it's worth a read. I thought the panel did a good investigation and I like their safety recommendations they made after all the analysis. Anyone can learn from that Especially noteworthy was Appendix 8 "Analysis of SPOT Connect vs. EPIRB By Evans Starzinger. The Pros and Cons he wrote about are worth investigating by anyone who is concerned about signaling for life-safety rescue.

madmax718

Explorer
Good read, thank you. But am I correct to assume that someone actually pressed the 911 button on the spot?

And if so, why didn't the spot operator look at the crumbs? It would have showed it right off the coast of the island, even if there wasnt an actual gps fix at that particular moment.

Finally, what I learned here is, don't leave a phone number of someone who does NOT pickup the phone at night. From the course of events, it appears that SPOT tried to contact the wife several times, and im assuming she didn't check her messages until the morning. Hence the big gap from about 0130 to about 0900.

robgendreau

Explorer
Mariners use EPIRBs for a reason. I dunno if a SPOT is even waterproof or floats; it certainly doesn't auto-activate when dumped in the drink like many EPIRBs do. The Cospas-Sarsat system is designed around an instant response, and the radio signal can provide GPS data even if just floating around in the wreckage. And the coasties will go to work without waiting for your emergency contact to call them. It's just a way more serious setup for the way more hazardous activities of boating or flying. Obviously it's rare that terrestrial activities have the same risks.

That being said, I wonder how GEOS responded. Leaving just a voicemail after an SOS seems negligent to me, even if they didn't know the nature of the SOS (ie they may not even have realized it was a boat, although the existing track would have showed a diligent rescuer it was a boat...). All in all it seemed the SPOT rescuer acted more like the auto club than a rescuer.

It's also perhaps worth noting that the skipper seemed to rely a bit too much on his tech, inappropriately as it turned out. First, the SPOT wasn't appropriate in lieu of an EPIRB. Second, he relied on autopilot, and as it turned out, probably on a waypoint he set that in effect told the autopilot to sail through an island. He probably thought he was covered, but in fact reliance on these devices may have doomed him.

izaicinajums

izaicinajums.com
This certainly is not a new topic, but I think there has been enough time for spot 3 owners to test out the product and give review of it.

We are departing for a few years down south and it would be nice to keep family in loop where we are. inReach is twice as expensive, Spot 2 has been known for being unreliable, what about this one?

So what do you think? It's worth the money? Good/Bad?

Cheers!

Matt_OCENS

Observer
In my opinion, it mostly boils down to the two-way communications question. In other words, is it important to you to be able to receive a message? If so, you should consider the DeLorme inReach SE, which has full two-way messaging plus it operates on the Iridium network. If receiving messages is not important, then the SPOT is the most cost-effective personal satellite tracking device.

carbon60

Explorer
I find two-way messaging to be invaluable in whe doing anything longer than a weekend.

For example, we were able to describe symptoms of an illness to a doctor who then recommended we get the subject medical attention within the next 12 hours.

I could also use it for telling a buddy that I have good for five days but really need a new driveshaft, and some cold beer.

A.

pfreeman

Observer
The Spot 3 is essentially the same exact product as the Spot 2 with a longer battery life and a firmware upgrade allowing more tracking intervals which aren't of much value unless you are a pilot.

The satellite modem, problematic 90 degree patch antenna, and satellites are all the same as they were - so any issues you have heard about about Spot 2 would apply to spot 3. For your particular trip you might want to look at the SPOT coverage maps. The spot satellite coverage drops off in Southern Chile/Argentina.

Spot: $150 1-way communication, no message delivery notification, works approx 50% globally, preset messages, 1 year contract.

DeLorme Inreach SE: $299 2-way communication, message delivery notification, works 100% globally, sends AND recieves free-form custom messages, month-to-month/no contract option + shows your GPS location info on device and shows your location and GPS Tracks on free topo APP if you have a smartphone or tablet linked with Bluetooth. It also links to facebook and twitter so friends and family can keep updated easier.

There is only a $150 price difference between the devices. If you go with the lowest price Inreach subscription it would cost you only about $20 more a year for a much more capable device and you will have the piece of mind in knowing that your device is actually working when you get down there outside of cell phone range, and that someone could get in touch with you if they needed to.

izaicinajums

izaicinajums.com
First year with DeLorme InReach SE would cost ~$250 more ($150 device (Spot 3 - $150 vs InReach SE $299), $100 subscription plan (SPOT $150 basic + $50 unlimited tracking vs $299 Recreation Plan with InReach)), and every next year would be $100 more. So for the same money DeLorme InReach SE costs in the first year, with Spot you get a bit over 2 years (subscription and device). Yes, it's not exactly apples to apples as InReach is Two-way communicator where as Spot is one-way communicator.

However for us on this trip it's more of a way for our family to see where we are... If not for that, I wouldn't probably take that kind of device at all, and would spend that money on traveling longer and experiencing things around us. :)

For us it's not question about DeLorme InReach SE vs Spot 3, it's about whether Spot 3 will do what we want. And from what I have read lately it will, with no problems. :)

Matt_OCENS

Observer
Just to chime in, the annual cost for the inReach SE is relative to how often you need it, because right now you can have a "Freedom" plan, which requires a $25 annual fee, but allows you to suspend service for any number of months you choose to.

Also, FYI, there is a $50 rebate on the inReach SE right now, so it would effectively cost you $249 (http://www.ocens.com/inReach-SE-P532C7.aspx)

izaicinajums

izaicinajums.com
Just to chime in, the annual cost for the inReach SE is relative to how often you need it, because right now you can have a "Freedom" plan, which requires a $25 annual fee, but allows you to suspend service for any number of months you choose to.

Also, FYI, there is a $50 rebate on the inReach SE right now, so it would effectively cost you $249 (http://www.ocens.com/inReach-SE-P532C7.aspx)
We are going on an adventure that hopefully will last at least 1.5 years. :)

BTW Thanks for pointing out rebate, quick Google search showed that there is same thing for Spot 3 and we can get it for 99$ (For Canadian residents, there is probably one for US as well...) http://www.gpscentral.ca/products/spot3.html

Update: Available Spot rebates: https://spot.rebateaccess.com/

Last edited:

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
When 406MHz PLBs are so cheap now, I find it hard to justify anything with a subscription fee if you're really looking for emergency support. $250 will get you an ACR PLB that's good for years. I'm coming up on 5 years of ownership on mine and the only additional "cost" at this point will be a small fee to have a replacement battery fitted (recommended, as a precaution).

I know some people feel the 2-way communication is vital, but it's worth examining that in context. If you're travelling in mostly populated areas, your assistance needs to be local anyway, so being able to whiz messages to your buddy on another continent is of limited value for "non emergency assistance". If you want to check in with people at home on a regular basis, consider a local SIM card in a cheap cell phone and visits to internet cafes. If you're worried about breaking an axle on some remote trail, a Sat phone is probably a better choice than a text-based system anyhow.

For me, the purpose of a satellite device is that last-ditch I'm-in-the-middle-of-nowhere SOS call. And if I'm in THAT situation, I want the message to be heard loud and clear by the COSPAS/SARSAT folks...

I guess the real question is WHAT do you want it for. Is it an emergency tool, or not?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior