Tent recommendation...budget friendly

orionkhan

Adventurer
Craigslist or yard sales is your best bet for a deal. I like the vertical wall tents, like a Eureka Copper Canyon or an REI Kingdom (and numerous others), because they offer the most useable inside space.

Yep. I picked up a large 16x9 coleman tent off of CL a few years ago. It's been great. Better than I thought it would hold up in some severe winds and snow. The only "issue" is that it's well ventilated. So it doesn't hold heat well in colder weather. But in fairness, it's not a 3 season tent. But the ventilation is great in warmer weather. With CL or garage sales you'll find plenty of "used only one time" tents.

Rover_Hokie

Observer
I would go for an 8 person cabin tent, and some have a removable curtain in the middle, which may be nice for the wife, with the boys and maybe their friends some times. I had two boys camping when younger like this. It also makes room for the dog, and we used some of our hard plastic storage containers as little nightstands and seats to put on shoes, etc. This also allows you a little room for bags.

If you're prudent, you can get great deals at the REI used gear sales too. Our current family car-camping tent is an REI Hobitat 4 which we're very happy with. I think I paid $120 for it at a used gear sale. It was brand new (rain fly had never even been opened, no dirt or dust on anything) but whoever bought it blew out one end of an aluminum pole while setting it up for the first time. I just trimmed off 3/4" of that pole and it was as good as new. It's served us well since.

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
Craigslist or yard sales is your best bet for a deal. I like the vertical wall tents, like a Eureka Copper Canyon or an REI Kingdom (and numerous others), because they offer the most useable inside space.

Agreed! Get your first tent(s) off CL, garage sales, auctions. You can get more than one tent too, one for the kids and one for mom and dad next to it, tell them it's their bedroom. They will have more fun and so will you! :)

NEPolarbear

Observer
I see you are also in Arizona. If you plan on doing most of your camping on the west coast and four corners areas, I would recommend a Coleman 6 Person Instant Dome Tent. I just got one from Target brand new for about $120 and love it. It sets up and about 2 minutes or less and same with tear-down. Being that it's a 6 person tent, it's great for 4 people. It's the best tent I have ever owned when it comes to quality, price, and easy of set-up and I highly recommend it.

I wasn't able to find a lot of info on it when I was looking, so I made a video on Youtube of setting it up and taking it down. Here's the link if you're interested:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-176FMk77Fw

How is the ventilation of your Coleman with the tarp / rainfly?

jjbuck

We love our Coleman Weathermaster.

Coleman, so definitely not "highend". But ... it is going on 8 or 9 years old?

technically, it's a 3 "room".

It's a two room ... ie, has a nylon curtain that hangs down and divides the space ... with a screen room.

Screened area is same tent space, just no floor. Great for camp site storage when we head out.

And push comes to shove, ie ... rain ... the 4 of us can cram our chairs in there, eat and or play board games.

they have an updated model with a hinged door. Another version is strung with lights.

Pretty sure the 3 room, and the 2 room/screen room is still available.

After 8, 9 years, takes the wife and I maybe 10 min to get it up ... last year me and the then 10 yr old boy got it up in about 15 stress free minutes.

last season, wife and I got it up and weather tite in a huge downpour, record breaking time, had to be under 4 minutes!

Coleman gets a bad rap as being cheap. We treat out stuff with respect, and it's lasted our young family of 4.

Dawgboy

Adventurer
I had a Eureka Tetragon, the biggest one. The poles did not survive 2 years of heavy camping in desert winds. If it had had aluminum poles, it would not be in a landfill. I replaced it with a Kodiak flexbow.

I also have a 12 year old Kelty that just keeps going. Of the two, the Kelty was better.

Brought to you by Cyberdyne Systems

97LXAZ

Wow not sure what happened but didn't get any notifications from my subscription to my own thread until today. Been busy so hadn't checked it either. Still 'soft' looking but will be crazy busy coaching bball until March 1 so this will be put off for a while. Still wanted to say thanks to all.

Lynn

Expedition Leader
After a pretty good downpour while camping with the Girl Scouts and a variety of tents, I'll add something I've noticed...

All of the recommended tents pictured above, and my recommended Kelty Grand Canyon, along with other tents I've used or observed over the years indicate one major trait to look for is a fly that extends down far enough to overlap the lower sidewalls (tub).

The upper sidewalls are typically not waterproof, and a surprising number of tents leave part of the upper sidewalls exposed when the fly is on. If you have any amount of rain, you're asking for water intrusion...

As a matter of fact, the fly itself is generally not entirely waterproof, and some water will get driven through the nylon and collect on the underside. Condensation also collects on the underside of the fly. Therefore make sure your tent fly can be guyed out so that it does not touch the tent body (except where it has too, like the pole sleeves).

I'd also echo the recommendation for aluminum poles, even though our Kelty Grand Canyon fiberglass poles are still going strong.

Less poles are easier during setup, but typically more poles mean less flapping in the wind.

Avoid 'cabin' tents and focus on 'dome' tents. Much better in windy conditions.

As mentioned above, more clips make it easier to set up and take down. Ours has short sleeves at the peak, and clips down the walls.

I know that I've given a lot of generalizations, and individual tents may vary, but that's my $0.02.

madmax718

Explorer
I have coleman, but also Kelty and MSR products. the MSR and kelty both are very nice, a lot of attention to little details- more so than the coleman. But the colemans are damn tough too and should not be undervalued.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz