Dumb iPhone questions....

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Yes, I took the plunge. Drank the kool aid (apple juice?) :rolleyes: Picked up the iPhone 4s for the wife and I on Monday.

So having never had a smartphone before, I have some questions:

First of all, does the iPhone have an actual GPS unit in it, or does it only get location data via the cell tower signals? What I'm wondering is if the map features will work when I'm out of 3g and/or cell coverage? Just for fun a few minutes ago I put the phone into "airplane mode" (turned off the cellular signal) and it would no longer show location data. Is this because "Airplane mode" also disables the GPS or is it because there is no GPS and location data only comes from the cell towers?

Second question, if I'm in an app and I hit the "home" button and bring up the home screen, does the app I was just in close? Or is it running in the background? If it's running in the background, how do I close it so it doesn't suck up power and speed from the other functions I'm using?

Third question (iPhone specific): Am I right in thinking that the only way I can get photos or music off of my computer and into my phone is via iTunes? I'd like to import some of my favorite pictures so I can show them to other people but I'm getting a headache trying to figure out how to do it. It doesn't look like I can import a single picture, iTunes only wants to let me import an entire folder.

Some of my picture folders are 4 -6 GB and I only have 13gb of storage on the phone. I guess what I could do is take all the pictures I want from my computer, put them into a single folder and then import THAT folder via itunes, but is there an easier way? What I'd like to be able to do is just pick and choose: A couple from this folder, a couple from that folder, etc.

Ditto for music. I probably have 40gb of music on my computer, my phone has about 13gb total, for everything. Any simple way to import some but not all? Again, I suppose I could create a playlist and call it "iPhone" and just import that playlist, right?

Final question: Can someone name some good apps for overlanding/off road/travel? Preferably free or not very expensive. I've already picked up a few: Flashlight (the light was one of the features I liked on my Casio G'Zone phones), Find my Phone, Fuelly (gas MPG tracker), GasBuddy, and of course, Angry Birds! Any others? I know that Ace was using some kind of Topo program on his phone when we were in Nevada back in May.

Thanks in advance!

matthewp

Combat Truck Monkey
Since I'm not the smartest with my iPhone 4, I can only answer one question...

Second question, if I'm in an app and I hit the "home" button and bring up the home screen, does the app I was just in close? Or is it running in the background? If it's running in the background, how do I close it so it doesn't suck up power and speed from the other functions I'm using?

Double-tap the Home button at the bottom and it will bring up all the apps that are open (at the bottom of the screen). Hold down on one of the app icons for a few seconds and all the icons in the bottom will begin to shake (you can also do this for icons anytime, to delete them). Tap the red X in the upper left corner of the icon you want to delete. Ta Da, that app is now officially closed. Not all apps seem to actively run in the background.

The only app I have that I really notice to do that is Google Maps (A great navigation app but I've only used it for on-road directions). It's free to download/use and gives you voice directions like an "actual" GPS.

HOOLIGAN

The 4x4 Podcast
I use Google+ for pics. I have it set to automatically upload photos from my phone when I hit WiFi so they are always backed up. I also use Google Play for music. It's just been a better tool and easier to use than iTunes. Plus I'm not the biggest iTunes fan.

music.google.com

plus.google.com

nwoods

Expedition Leader
when you copy photos to the iphone, it asks you if you want to reduce them to fit the iphone, or keep them full size. Go ahead and reduce them!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94