looking for trailer/what to look for

Psu12

I am looking for a trailer to haul my RTT instead of mounting on the roof of my FJ. I am completely new to this and really have no idea what to look for. I am looking to build myself to my specs so rig doesn't need to be in perfect condition.

Do as phone have any tips of what to look for or even where to look? Any specific models or keywords while searching?

Sorry if this has been discussed before.

VDBAZFJ

Adventurer
type in " military trailer" or "army trailer" or "M416" into craigslist. Those have been the best keywords for me to find a M416 type trailer. Of course there are other options out there. Someone here built a wells cargo with RTT. I thought that looked pretty cool!

Best of luck!

klb67

Observer
I'd start by looking around on this site and google at different trailers to see what you think you like, and don't like, and follow the links to builds if available. Google "off road trailer rtt" and look at images - there are a ton of ideas. Then narrow down what you want. You might find an existing trailer that will work as is or as a start, or build from scratch. Decide the types of terrain that you plan to tow it on, and plan accordingly with axles, tires and other materials. Also decide what features you want now or might want to add later, and plan accordingly. I also think you can over-build and add unnecessary weight too if you aren't thinking through that issue. If you are building from scratch, consult some metal dimension/weight/strength tables before deciding on materials. For example, you may be better off using a 2x3x.125 wall tube (or even 2x2) than a 2x2x.250 wall tube for the frame.

Psu12

Thanks guys I have already put an offer in on a few, just out of curiosity what is a decent price for one of these military type trailers?

VDBAZFJ

Adventurer
Well, if you lived in NE I guess $75 would be. But looks like 750-1250 is range for a decent M416. Depends on your luck I think.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles