100W Portable kit on ebay

bicyclist

Observer
Does that Load connection on the Controller supply power from just the Panels or does it route current from the battery too?

I just got my Renogy suitcase, as well. In the course of trying to learn about it, I came across a Renogy video on setting up a different 100W arrangement. To demonstrate the load, the video showed a light connected to the load terminals. Both the battery and panel were connected to the controller, but the panel was facing a wall, obviously not contributing anything. It seems that the battery supplies the power to the load terminals. I think your plan will work.

randy h

Thanks Bicyclist. I have actually been testing the described setup (Fridge to Load connects on Controller) for the last couple of days. I took the controller off of the panels so it can sit in the shade with the battery and fridge. I also Beefed up the cables a bit. Looks like everything is working great.

Thanks Bicyclist. I have actually been testing the described setup (Fridge to Load connects on Controller) for the last couple of days. I took the controller off of the panels so it can sit in the shade with the battery and fridge. I also Beefed up the cables a bit. Looks like everything is working great.

Randy,

You are able to run your fridge from the controller???

I am assuming you are using the wiring posts on the right with the lightbulb icon.

Would you mind posting a picture of your set up?

Thanks,

Brandon

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
Yea, the load comes from the battery (as does the power to run the charge controller itself).

When there is sun, that power is added to what is available on the battery side. If the power coming from the solar exceeds what is being drawn out, then the excess will go into the battery (until the battery is full). With no sun, all power to run the charge controller and the load will just come out of the battery.

40w / 12v = 3.3a

Not even close to exceeding a 10a limit.

randy h

Excellent!

By the way, did you change any of the controller parameters or just go with the defaults?

I went into the Rated Value menu and entered data for my battery and panels. I am running it on Sealed Battery (I think that was the default anyway).
I also set the correct date and time, for the fun of it.
For the Load settings, since I wanted the fridge to turn off at night, I went into Menu item 4, Load Set, and changed it to Time option.
Within Time option, at the Time Control I screen, I entered an On Time of 07:00:00 and Off Time of 20:00:00.
Then I had to keep entering past Time Control 2 choosing Single. (you can enter a second on/off time if you want).

You are able to run your fridge from the controller???

I am assuming you are using the wiring posts on the right with the lightbulb icon.

Would you mind posting a picture of your set up?

Thanks,

Brandon

Yes, its been working just as I wished. The Fridge cables are connected to the screw terminals with the Lightbulb icon. Since I am still in experimental mode, posting a pic now would be embarrassing. :eek:
But here is a drawing:
my setup.jpg

Yea, the load comes from the battery (as does the power to run the charge controller itself).

When there is sun, that power is added to what is available on the battery side. If the power coming from the solar exceeds what is being drawn out, then the excess will go into the battery (until the battery is full). With no sun, all power to run the charge controller and the load will just come out of the battery.

40w / 12v = 3.3a

Not even close to exceeding a 10a limit.

Thanks, dwh, for the confirmation and further explanation with the math formula.

I also downloaded the software for monitoring, editing, and logging data from the VS1024BN controller:
http://www.epsolarpv.com/en/uploads/news/201408/1407908806816015.zip

I dont have the apparently proprietary RS485 to USB cable to actually connect my PC to the controller yet, but I installed the software to see how friendly and useful the interface is. It made me want it. I dont think it would be all that useful in the field, but man the logging and broader view of many parameters at once would be handy for me during experiments.
Here is the cable part number as listed in the manual: CC-USB-RS485-150U
So far the only sources I have found are from China. The best price I saw was 8.00 Euros plus shipping.

So far I am really pleased with the Renogy Foldable Solar Suitcase Battery Charger 100W kit.

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
Can you please explain your equation?

It's the basic electro-math formula.

Watts = Volts x Amps

Which can also be:

Watts / Volts = Amps
Or
Watts / Amps = Volts
Or
Amps x Volts = Watts

He says his fridge draws 40w, so take that and divide by the volts to find out what the amps would be.
But...using 12v as I did is actually a rough number, sort of an average.
If the battery were pretty much full and the charge controller were in absorb stage, then the number would be more like:

40w / 14.2v = 2.8a

But if the battery were very low, then it would look like:

40w / 11v = 3.6a

Since a "12v nominal" battery might be anywhere from 10.5v (considered dead), to 12.8v (fully charged resting voltage) to as high as 14.<something> (when being charged), it's normal to just rough it by plugging 12v into the formula and call it close enough.

bicyclist

Observer
I tried my new Renogy system today. The initial test worked fine, all I did was top off my house battery. It's a Deka DC31DT flooded type, but I don't know what capacity to enter in the Rated Value section of the controller. Gotta get that info.

My first mod was to add &#8541;" non-skid rubber leg tips to the stands. Had a pair left over from another project. I also ordered some Anderson Powerpole connectors to build a longer battery lead and a pigtail to permanently attach to the battery. I don't want to have to pull the cover of the battery box to connect clamps every time I use the panel. I'm also considering how to attach a cable lock to keep the thing from getting legs when I leave it unattended.

luk4mud

Explorer
Recently bought the Renogy 60W suitcase, very well made. Added longer lead cables from Powerwerx- expensive but worth it not to amp in the sun. Whole system comes in at about $270 delivered.

pdxfrogdog

Adventurer
Ordered the 100W suitcase from Renogy this morning. Checked order status and it has already shipped... awesome! Also just saw they are starting a promotion on Friday, for the holiday weekend... ack!! I missed out, but perhaps others may save, so consider this post a PSA: Coupon code is 'LABORDAY14' good for 10% off from 8/29 thru 9/1.

randy h

How many of you with the Renegy Kit are on Equalization today?

My 1024BN controller is factory set to Equalize on the 28th of each month. (Flood and Sealed only, not Gel)

cactusjk

Explorer
Does anyone know where to get the plastic square corner protectors used on the original 100/120W Solar Blvd foldable panels? Mine are cracked and i am not sure if they were just for packing or needed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles