Need opinions Lance/Northernlie/alaskan/Northstar??

Darwin

Explorer
I am looking for opinions, advice or suggestions about either of these brands of truck campers. I can not seem to come up with a decision about which one would suit my needs best. The vehicle is a 1997 Dodge Cummins long bed 3/4 ton.

Here are my needs.
Room for 2 people plus one 130 lb. dog.
Well insulated for extreme heat and cold. (Wyoming in the winter or Mexico)
Constructed to handle some light off road (Baja for example)

Here are the pros and cons for each that I have come up with.

Lance
Pros:
TPO construction on roof and aluminum framed with fiberglass block foam sandwich construction.
4 season rated

Cons:
Typical RV unit and quality.
No Cassette toilet.
Heavy.
No Dometic acrylic windows

Northernlite

Pros:
Two piece fiberglass construction
4 season rated.
Nice interior.
Lighter than Lance.
Dometic pop out windows.

Cons:
Price.
Less floor for space for the dog than Northstar.
No cassette toilet.

Alaskan

Pros:
Pop up (lower center of gravity)
possible to have compressor fridge installed at the factory.

Cons:
Dated construction methods.
Heavy especially for being a pop top.
Less floor space.

Northstar
Pros:
Price.
Floor space.
Cassette toilet.
Weight.

Cons:

Typical RV construction.
Rubberized one piece roof.

As you can see I extremely confused about which unit would best suit me. Any one out there with an opinion please chime in on my thinking here!

Last edited:

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
Have you looked at Hallmark, or Phoenix? If I had a budget to suit a Northern Lite (which are super nice), I would look at Hallmark. The are made in Ft Collins Co, and are extremely well built, can handle the cold just fine, and are lightweight pop-ups. Have a look!

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
We're going on 13 yrs with our Northstar and it's been stellar. With a '97 braking will be an issue so lighter is better. An exhaust brake works super if you've got a manual. Otherwise upgrading your stock brakes is possible.

kpredator

Adventurer
camper

hello
have a north star popup and its worked out alright.
been to deadhorse and newfoundland with it.bought it used for 3500.00
good luck
kp

Photomike

White Turtle Adventures & Photography
I have a NL and you hit the cons on the head. Space is something that comes with a price of extra weight. Cassette toilet has been a issue for me in the winter, if I had a garage with a sewer connection I would be happy but as I leave it outside 365 would LOVE a cassette toilet to use in -30 when I could dump any place and winterize by only removing the cassette.

Price - okay I have to agree they are higher priced, but you get what you pay for. I went with a used NL and I am very happy that I did. I cannot believe the quality and how well it holds up.

Also for me a used NL fit another bill in that it was a lot lighter than the newer ones (no basement) and they are lower on the truck so lower center of gravity and less height to worry about.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
Photomike: I'm guessing you might have a few pics of your NL to post? In and outside? I have only been in the newer ones, and curious about the older ones. Thanks!

duneyeti9

I’ve progressed to larger and more complicated campers over the years, but I don’t think we have ever had as much fun camping as we did in our first Starcraft Roadstar pop-up TC. My point (although slightly off topic) is although equipment is necessary to a certain extent it is not proportional to the enjoyment of the experience, we all fall for the myth that larger more sophisticated equipment will enhance our outdoor experience, but that’s only true with hiking shoes. Just my opinion, your results may vary. Happy camping
starcraft F250.jpg

Darwin

Explorer
redthies
Have you looked at Hallmark, or Phoenix? If I had a budget to suit a Northern Lite (which are super nice), I would look at Hallmark. The are made in Ft Collins Co, and are extremely well built, can handle the cold just fine, and are lightweight pop-ups. Have a look!
Yes, I have seriously considered a Hallmark. The drawbacks I see to it are the soft sides, I know they are well built but the soft sides concern me with travel to central america and Mexico. They seem less secure and any time I left the camper I would have to leave the dog in the camper with the top down. The other drawback is floor space. It seems like like a Hallmark could be a little tight for two people plus a 130 lb. lazy dog. I really wish there was one near by in SLC Utah I could look at.

Darwin

Explorer
Regcabguy
We're going on 13 yrs with our Northstar and it's been stellar. With a '97 braking will be an issue so lighter is better. An exhaust brake works super if you've got a manual. Otherwise upgrading your stock brakes is possible.
I still am unsure about the Northstar rubber roof vs. a TPO like the lance, everything else about the northernstar I like beside the fact that the interior could use an update, but I suppose I am not that picky about that aspect of them. I have a built auto in the Dodge, it works, and is actually better than I had anticipated. I would prefer a manual for the exhaust brake capabilities, but the auto is nice for backing up and negotiating tight market streets in Central America. I would get another of these old Dodge Cummins trucks if I bought another, probably a manual with exhaust brake. The one I have now though is paid for and despite its faults and peeling paint it works for the time being.

Darwin

Explorer
duneyeti9
I’ve progressed to larger and more complicated campers over the years, but I don’t think we have ever had as much fun camping as we did in our first Starcraft Roadstar pop-up TC. My point (although slightly off topic) is although equipment is necessary to a certain extent it is not proportional to the enjoyment of the experience, we all fall for the myth that larger more sophisticated equipment will enhance our outdoor experience, but that’s only true with hiking shoes. Just my opinion, your results may vary. Happy camping
I think a pop up definitely has some pros to it. Weight and lower CG being two. The problem is I will be using this for more than just to go camping. If I was just going camping with it I would probably get a pop up. I will be using it to live out of 2 nights a week at the Hospital in Wyoming, very cold and windy there in the winter, and then for long excursions to Mexico and Central America to surf, security and floor space is my concern with a pop up.

Darwin

Explorer
URY914
I really like the Camp Lite's all aluminum construction. You might give them a look.
I have been looking at those too, will check one out in person today. I worry about the heat and cold issue with them though. i guess now for 2014 they offer heated tanks, and come with a cassette toilet option. I really wish they would use those Dometic acrylic windows like they do in their trailers. They are light weight and of a different construction than standard mfgs. The Aluminium doesnt flex though and I wonder if it would brake apart on bumpy roads in Mexico?? I had an aluminium shell on the back that literally fell apart down there, really made me wish I had a Callen shell.

MGTexas

Maybe I don't have a clue but seems that when I think cold camping I think Bigfoot. Pricey but I want one! I do not know anybody who owns one however.

Waltzing Matilda

Adventurer
There are a lot of used Callen shells around San Diego. The company went out of business but lots of owners and fans here, including me. Check SD craigslist and local resellers like www.socaltruck.net for used ones

They are Insulated, solid, but very basic. You have to build your own interior.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94