Need opinions Lance/Northernlie/alaskan/Northstar??

Darwin

Explorer
deminimis
Darwin, as an option, I looked at Livin Lite campers. Did some research. I came across a number of owners complaining about leaks. Serious leaks. Thor Industries now owns them. As a result, my interest in Livin Lite quickly dissipated. They sure look cool though.
Do you happen to know anyone, or have links that I can learn more about the leaks issue? I am having a really hard time finding any reviews on them. I did speak to one person to drove down to Panama and back with one on a dodge dually, and he seemed to think highly of them, I know he purchased a wood framed truck camper originally for the trip only to find out it had a ton of water damage before leaving. I read this on rv.net, so not sure if you know the thread I am talking about. As far as looks, I don't really have an opinion either way about the camplites, I kind of of like the utilitarian look of them, but on a whole, most truck campers like Lance and Artic Fox just strike me as down right ugly. They remind me of a cheap hotel room. I don't think my segment of the truck camper world is very well represented when it comes to designs and looks, the Europeans seem to do a much better job, even many of the class B's have much nicer interiors than most truck campers I have seen. The downside to the camplite that I see is the fact that it has a basement which raises the height, (concerned about height for small towns south of the border).

If I get a vote here, my vote is for Bigfoot or Northern Lite. You could save some serious money and go used but not abused and modify the interior to make it fit your needs. I'd still have a Bigfoot, but the wife demanded more room. They work very well in all environments:
You definately get a vote! I have been following your posts since around 2011. I have been seriously considering bigfoot or northern lite. The problems I am having are, not many bigfoots in the 1500 series for a long bed for sale. I have seen plenty that would work but all for short beds. They do seem a little smaller on the inside when it comes to floor space which might make it feel a little confined with another person and a dog. I found a Northern lite 9'6 2010 model with insulated windows in Montana but they are asking 28k for it, which seems like too much to me, 20k and I would probably very seriously consider it. It term of construction I think the fiberglass clam shell design truck campers are definitely better than the wood framed Northstars, although I can get a Northstar for 12 k with dometic insulated windows and cassette toilet.

As you can see I am very undecided about all of these, weighing the pros and cons and each and considering the price tag for all of them. What draws me to the livin lite is the all aluminum and composite construction, provided its sealed and caulked it won't rot, and I know it rains a lot and heavy in Central America. I have thought about pop ups but I will be using the camper for long term situations 1-5 months of living out of it.

Photomike

White Turtle Adventures & Photography
From all that you say I would still point you towards a Northern Lite or a Bigfoot and I would go used.

A couple things:

1 - Space: I have recently removed the table and the little riser that I built for under the table and store it at home when I am traveling. The extra space is amazing!! Now a couple problems that you may run into is if you want to use the second bed you need the table for that and you may not like eating without the table. For me when I am traveling with just me and the dog I use a little table that is by the fridge to eat on and do not need the extra table. In fact I have thought about taking the floor mounts out for the table and being done with it altogether. Sure makes it seem bigger! I have space to put on / take off bulky jackets, the dog has more floor space, easier to get to the bench, etc.

2 - Go Used: if the main purpose is for one big trip why buy new? Used you can save the worries of damaging a new unit, you can customize at your own speed / income and the older ones are lighter as you do not have the basement.

3 - Clam shell: This does not guarantee a leak free unit it is easier to keep it leak free and to track down leaks. Also, less likely to damage the waterproof roof as it is also fiberglass.

Darwin

Explorer
1 - Space: I have recently removed the table and the little riser that I built for under the table and store it at home when I am traveling. The extra space is amazing!! Now a couple problems that you may run into is if you want to use the second bed you need the table for that and you may not like eating without the table. For me when I am traveling with just me and the dog I use a little table that is by the fridge to eat on and do not need the extra table. In fact I have thought about taking the floor mounts out for the table and being done with it altogether. Sure makes it seem bigger! I have space to put on / take off bulky jackets, the dog has more floor space, easier to get to the bench, etc.

2 - Go Used: if the main purpose is for one big trip why buy new? Used you can save the worries of damaging a new unit, you can customize at your own speed / income and the older ones are lighter as you do not have the basement.

3 - Clam shell: This does not guarantee a leak free unit it is easier to keep it leak free and to track down leaks. Also, less likely to damage the waterproof roof as it is also fiberglass.
I can't afford new, especially northern lite or bigfoot. A 2015 1500 series bigfoot is around 38k. I also plan to use it for more than one trip. I would likely use it for work, at least until I got a trailer. I work 3 month contracts at different hospitals and I am given a per diem pay that is tax free, instead of finding an apartment each time and paying for that, I would like to use the truck camper. It would pull double duty since I would take it south for surfing trips in Baja and farther. Right now the short term plan is to find something, and use it for two months to live out of if I go to Idaho and then again for work for a month or two after that and then possibly 5 months down south over the late fall and winter. When I come back I won't have a place to live so it will get further use then likely. That is why I was concerned about floor space. I think weekend trips and it wouldn't be as big of a deal.

I really like the clamshell design, and it seems like they insulate well from the heat and cold.

deminimis

Explorer
Not sure the links, but I read 'em. Theyre out there. One talked about the sloshing of water in the overhange. I don't care for BF's interior layouts, but for durability, they really are hard to beat. 1500s for long beds show up now and then. Patience Grasshopper (who am I talk. When I want something, I want it yesterday, not tomorrow ). Big is okay for Baja (once things got tight in Mulege with our former BF 2500, but not so bad we snagged power lines or took out the mirrors on the locals' Fords Lobos ).

simple

Adventurer
Several years ago I bought my 96 Northern lite "Light" for $5k. It needed a little work. It had leaked at one time back by the door and the plywood floor got spongy causing the fiberglass to crack in a thin spot by the back door. When looking at a used fiberglass camper, get up on the roof and see if the glass is getting soft. If they have been out doors a lot, UV breaks down the composite matrix and the sealant around the penetrations.

It was a great camper for what you're describing for use around the states. I never liked getting off pavement much with it. Even gravel roads with potholes were a little painful. Everything flexing, swaying and creaking. It wouldn't be my first choice for exploring much south of Ensenada. For sub freezing temps its toasty with minimal heat but plan on leaving the furnace running or plugging in and running a space heater. If not winterized the tanks can freeze and split and water lines can burst.

Darwin

Explorer
Simple, thanks for the info, it looks like you have owned a lot of rigs.

I am going to keep looking and reminding myself to stay patient.

Darwin

Explorer
Not a bad deal on that Alaskan. You have anyway to contact the guy? It won't let me reply from the craigslist ad, and no phone number.

Edit: Nevermind figured it out.

MT6bt

Rock hound
Not a bad deal on that Alaskan. You have anyway to contact the guy? It won't let me reply from the craigslist ad, and no phone number.

Edit: Nevermind figured it out.
Did u end up getting it? Man that was one sweet alaskan.

Ah, crossovers: car like off-road capabilities, minivan looks, and truck fuel economy...

Darwin

Explorer
I am still waffling back and forth on what to get. Lol
I need something that I can use to stay in while at work. Thinking about a northern lite.

trackhead

Adventurer
FWIW, I own a 21 year old Kodiak Travelaire (very similar to Bigfoot). No water damage, no issues. The fact that a 21 year old camper has no water damage and a sound frame is testament to the design of the fiberglass rigs discussed in this thread...........

kpredator

Adventurer
darwin

man dont beat yourself up!!! get something used at a good price. try it out,see how it goes.
make sure its got a good roof,hasn't leaked.
just make sure to mouse proof it over the winter and don't over tighten the latches if you get a popup!!!!
dont ask me how I know

good luck
kp

Darwin

Explorer
Used Northstar adventurer. I like it, but believe a northern lite is probably better built. I do like the cassette toilet for my needs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier