Maze Expedition Report, April 2013

teotwaki

Excelsior!
-
http://suntothenorth.blogspot.com/2013/08/utahs-maze-district-with-my-expedition.html
-
Maze_April2013-1.jpg

The complete story is up on my blog. I have to say that when reviewing the pictures I am excited all over again even after 4 months have passed! It was such a fantastic trip on so many levels: offroading, camping, hiking and natural beauty. I've had a really hard time selecting which pictures to share as well as editing them for size and presentation. I've been working hard on the narrative because only part of the story is presented by the pictures. I know that some folks are reluctant to follow external links so I'll be selecting a number of photos to present here but the blog is where the detail will be. I will be open to answering any questions in this thread. My Expo partner in the adventure was CL Coyle (Chris) who has his own photos and insights to offer so please watch for those too. My friend Norman was spurred to action to finally upgrade the suspension of his Toyota Sequoia as well as buy a little more agressive offroading tires.
-
The Adventure Team!
P1070104-1.jpg

-
The vehicles:
-
Chris' awesome 2010 Taco
IMG_0547-1.jpg

-
Norm's newly lifted 2005 Sequoia
P1070157-1.jpg

-
My 2005 4Runner & Trailer
IMG_7614-1.jpg

-
Our original trip schedule:

3/29/2013 Fri
Leave Friday afternoon to get ahead of Los Angeles traffic to get to Primm and stay overnight
-
3/30/2013 Sat
Drive to Hanksville, stay at Whispering Sands Motel (435-542-3238)
-
3/31/2013 Sun
Enter via Hans Flat. Ranger #435-259-2652. Camp at Maze Overlook Site #1
-
4/1/2013 Mon
Camp at Maze Overlook Site #1
-
4/2/2013 Tue
Go to Land of Standing Rocks, Camp Dollhouse #2
-
4/3/2013 Wed
Camp Dollhouse #2
-
4/4/2013 Thu
Camp Dollhouse #2
-
4/5/2013 Fri
Drive to Hite 30 miles & 3 hours then 6+ hours & 365 miles to Mesquite and stay 1 night
-
4/6/2013 Sat
drive home
Special message to Dave a.k.a. CnynRat: Yes!!! Despite the rumors I really did go to the Maze! :elkgrin: Your detailed advice was extremely valuable! Your trip report was both inspirational and a wealth of knowledge. Dave's threads should be must-read stickies for anyone venturing into the Maze District.
-
Dave's Planning Thread: http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/39696-Canyonlands-Maze-Planning-Suggestions-Fall-2010
Dave's Trip Report: http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/52383-Terra-Incognita-Into-the-Maze

Last edited:

teotwaki

Excelsior!
The Flint Trail switchbacks were in good shape having been recently bladed. It saved us the extra miles incurred driving down to Hite and then all the way back up to the Maze Overlook
IMG_0412-1.jpg

-
Can you imagine trying to deal with this trail when muddy or icy? No thanks!
IMG_0416-1.jpg

-
Children belong here instead of in front of a TV set or video game :elkgrin:
P1060895-1.jpg

mbuckner

Adventurer
Hello Jim,

Were there any issues with the trailer making the turn on the switchbacks?

Best regards,

Mike

teotwaki

Excelsior!
Hello Jim,

Were there any issues with the trailer making the turn on the switchbacks?

Best regards,

Mike

The switchbacks had just enough room for me. I think it was the Z turn that killed my Lock-N-Roll coupler when I had to back up to make the turns. I think that if you have spotters they have to watch your coupler for binding rather than just watch for the trailer hitting the back of your tow vehicle.

NKN_3864-1.jpg

NKN_3862-1.jpg

NKN_3860-1.jpg

The big pin on the right was loose enough to rotate. Just like CnynRat I was able to tow the trailer home. I have since purchased a Max Coupler.

Check out this Portal thread: http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/68664-Pintle-vs-Lock-amp-Roll-vs-Max-Coupler

James86004

Expedition Leader
Nice and very timely. We had the AAA Indian Country map out today deciding where we want to go for our daughter's fall break, and decided to try the Maze again. We are finding we have to revisit places my wife & I visited before our kid, because kid wants to see them. The last time we were there in 1997 it poured rain so much we were worried we were going to slide off the cliff.

Dollhouse 1 and Dollhouse 2 are still available to reserve, which would you recommend?

teotwaki

Excelsior!
Dollhouse 1 is a bit more private because the road ends in a loop right at #2. Both can be cold in the winter because of less sunlight getting in than over at 3.

How many vehicles will you havee? Camp 2 probably is the bigger of the two and may block wind better.

teotwaki

Excelsior!
Thanks. We will probably have two vehicles.

I'd say go ahead with 2 if you don't find any other strong opinions on 1. I had looked briefly at 1 where a Jeep was set up and it was more enclosed if you like that sort of thing. Maybe better if you wanted to have some sort of camp fire. It could be cooler in there in the winter. Site 2 is more open and allows easy access to clambering around the rocks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz