1978 Cherokee Chief Build

ttravis5446

Adventurer
So this is the plan so far:

Keep the 35's and the spring over conversion. Install a shackle flip on the rear to get rid of the scary stacked blocks.
Fix a couple small issues in the SOA and figure out what to do with the steering.

Howell's TBI kit. Have a local exhaust shop fix or replace the dual exhaust.

Fix the rusted out areas on the rear quarters

Figure out what to do for Trans / Transfer case. Either rebuild the TH400 and quadra trac or get a T18 / Dana 20 combo from an FSJ in a junkyard.

After all that it should be reliably drivable. Then I can do accessories and interior.

ttravis5446

Adventurer
So I have been contemplating the suspension again. I have driving this thing around the neighbor hood the last few days and it really is taller than I would like it to be. It looks awesome with its current stance, but I'm just not too happy with the ride and feel of it. I'm sure that the rear shackle flip would make it feel better but I'm contemplating swapping out the front axle and going back spring under with smaller tires. Anybody have a stock front axle for a '78 Wide Trac Cherokee? :sombrero:

shortbus4x4

Expedition Leader
Nice Cherokee. I had a 78 Chief Levi Edition years ago with a T18/D20 and the rear driveline does make a slant from the t-case to rear end. The first time I got under it I thought it was wrong but after some research that's the way they came from the factory. Me and my buddy spent on night in it broke down on I-5 at Smokey Bear exit in S CA, got to do a cam drive gear on the cam shaft the next day.:)

ttravis5446

Adventurer
Nice Cherokee. I had a 78 Chief Levi Edition years ago with a T18/D20 and the rear driveline does make a slant from the t-case to rear end. The first time I got under it I thought it was wrong but after some research that's the way they came from the factory. Me and my buddy spent on night in it broke down on I-5 at Smokey Bear exit in S CA, got to do a cam drive gear on the cam shaft the next day.:)

I used to drive by that exit a couple times a week. I don't really miss the grapevine traffic on Friday afternoons.

Metal Twister

Highly Motivated
Something is wrong if you dont like the feel of the SOA. When I got my 74 it was SOA with the stock leafs up front... SCARY SLOPPY. I threw a full pack under it and it made a world of difference. Ive since gone way past that and now its just stupid out of control! LOL

Something is wrong if you dont like the feel of the SOA. When I got my 74 it was SOA with the stock leafs up front... SCARY SLOPPY. I threw a full pack under it and it made a world of difference. Ive since gone way past that and now its just stupid out of control! LOL

i like that ..nice ride

ttravis5446

Adventurer

That's a nice Cherokee. Where did you source your springs from?

Metal Twister

Highly Motivated
Well like I said, since I did the spring over and got the front suspension set up right I bought a later model Blazer. I stretched the Blazer frame 2 1/2" and slapped the FSJ body on it. I got so tired of trying to find Jeep stuff for it I just swapped it over. I can be in the middle of Baja and find 350 Chevy stuff anywhere... Not FSJ stuff! I'm going to be going with a TBI 454 here soon so I'm just running Skyjackers now. BJ's has the springs you need. Not sure about your year but I think Chevy springs will work. The guys on the IFSJA will be able to dial ya right in.

ttravis5446

Adventurer
Well like I said, since I did the spring over and got the front suspension set up right I bought a later model Blazer. I stretched the Blazer frame 2 1/2" and slapped the FSJ body on it. I got so tired of trying to find Jeep stuff for it I just swapped it over. I can be in the middle of Baja and find 350 Chevy stuff anywhere... Not FSJ stuff! I'm going to be going with a TBI 454 here soon so I'm just running Skyjackers now. BJ's has the springs you need. Not sure about your year but I think Chevy springs will work. The guys on the IFSJA will be able to dial ya right in.

Oh ok, I got ya. That's way more work than I'm looking to do. It sure does look pretty cool though. I see your point on parts availability too.

ttravis5446

Adventurer
So I spent some more trying to get this thing running right so I might have a chance at passing emissions before my last temp tag runs out. It's got the stock 360 with the original 4 barrel manifold. It's running a new edlebrock 4 barrel. It sounds great, but it runs insanely rich at idle. The idle is smooth but it has black smoke until you rev it up. I've been messing with it off and on lately. A couple of weeks ago I installed a fuel pressure regulator because I was getting almost 6 psi of pressure. I've set the timing according to the FSm. I have a pretty steady 14 in of manifold vacuum at idle. On Saturday I isolated and capped off all of the vacuum connections to the intake to see if it made a difference, including brake booster, egr, transmission, everything. It didn't make a difference. I checked the carb around the carb and intake manifold with carb cleaner looking for vacuum leaks. I've messed with the idle mixture screws repeatedly but the engine doesn't respond like it does in the YouTube videos. It only runs good with the screws about 1/2 to 1 turn out from seated all the way. I am not a carb guy, especially 4 barrel. What am I missing?
I pulled the erg valve to see what it looked like inside, it's dirty and the little rod is kind of mushroomed, maybe that is my problem? I also found a damaged spot on the carb spacer to manifold gasket but it was between two of the holes in the manifold that are connected anyway.
BB79BB2B-910E-4EB5-869F-CE4AAA1556C8_zpshctq8ikg.jpg

B33ADEEC-91B8-4795-BCAD-E5F451B4DC10_zpsfd0dtvkv.jpg

shortbus4x4

Expedition Leader
Does your black smoke at idle go away when you create a small vacuum leak? Have your checked your float level? A high float level caused by a heavy float or wrong level setting will do this. Possible air bleeds in carb plugged?

ttravis5446

Adventurer
Does your black smoke at idle go away when you create a small vacuum leak? Have your checked your float level? A high float level caused by a heavy float or wrong level setting will do this. Possible air bleeds in carb plugged?

Thanks for that suggestion. I'll check it out as soon I get a chance.

Jim K in PA

Adventurer
It is jetted too rich on the idle circuit and probably the mains. If you are using the Edelbrock reproduction of the old AFB, there are jet kits available for it. All the twiddling in the world will not make it run right if there is too much fuel. Double check the float level as shortbus suggested, then look into re-jetting. Those carbs are sold off the shelf as a one size fits all and the jetting is probably way off. You also show your location as Loveland CO, which is almost 5k feet above see level. High elevation means less O2, so you need less fuel. Call Edelbrock tech and see if you can get a recommendation for jetting from them.

Gasket looks like it stuck to the base or manifold. Use a new one.

EGR valve actually looks good. Apply vacuum to the diaphragm and make sure it is moving. If not, replace it and use a new gasket. It is not likely the cause of your rich idle.

ttravis5446

Adventurer
The vacuum part of the erg tested good on with my mighty vac. I reinstalled it with a new gasket.

The carb on the other hand......
I reinstalled the carb with new gaskets for the base and the adaptor. I pulled the top plate off and checked it out after I ran it for a while. Fuel level was the same in both bowls, float setting was good on both sides, and neither was heavy. The carb didn't look as new on the inside as it does on the outside. I suspect someone threw it on there and couldn't get it dialed in and let it sit for a good while. I have ran more than a full tank through it but there was still a definite smell of old, varnished gas once I pulled the top off. I think I may just give up on this carb and start researching TBI conversions. With my work schedule I don't think I'll be able to get it past emmisions testing before my temp tag is up with the current setup.

shortbus4x4

Expedition Leader
Like Jim K in PA said about your jetting and elevation. I would try some smaller jets to get me by while working on getting parts for the TBI conversion.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles