Help Me pick the right Service Bed for my Expo trailer

jeeps4fun

Adventurer
So, I've been stalking other people's build threads (and polluting a few :oops:) leading me to post my own thread for some question and answer! I've located 2 potential trailers in my $$, both have already been converted to trailers using the stock frame and axle (could eventually replace those for clearance). Both have been repainted and have minimal rust.

My build plan includes placing my WilderNest camper on the service trailer and using it for back woods adventures with the Family (me, wife, 5yr old and 2 yr old) Camp kitchen, battery power, led interior/exterior lighting. Maybe water/shower and eventually fridge/freezer. If you aren't familiar with the WilderNest, it mounts like a Truck camper and has a fold out tent from the top that allows access to the interior of the truck bed for our "living quarters" AKA.. where the kids will sleep.

Trailer #1
From a mini truck (ranger) So the interior is 6'Lx40"W. The side boxes are 10.5" deep. it has a 2' deep box mounted to the front for additional storage as well. Will have a light truck axle (8.8?) and frame. Complete and ready to go, even has a truck camper that I could sell for $$ back. Guy is asking $800 obo and its ~ 6 hour drive each way.

Trailer #2
From a full size truck with a 8 lug axle and 3/4 ton springs. Bed is 8'Lx4'W. boxes would be deeper (11.5"?) and it has a 2.5' storage box on front, and then 4' of frame. Overall length is 15' 6". Guy is asking $1000 and its ~10 hour drive each way, but I might be able to get him to meet half way for asking price.

jeeps4fun

Adventurer
#1 concerns- too small an interior space for "living", not enough storage, light weight axle/springs

5e8yqaha.jpg

#2 concerns- too much weight to pull with anything smaller than a full size (Have a Tundra CrewMax but eventually might be a Jeep LJ/JK), TOO long for the wooded trails in NW Arkansas, Cost of trailer/retrieving it. TOO MUCH ROOM! there is the potential that I try to bring the kitchen sink, especially with camping and kids.

azuvybe9.jpg

A little measurement for reference. The front hitch->front of box=4', front Storage box 2'6", Rear bumper/receiver=10"

Last edited:

skersfan

Supporting Sponsor
I would go with number 1. You can get an axle for pennies. The second one has way too much tongue weight and most likely weighs close to 3500 pounds as it sets. Unless it is aluminum. Still will be very heavy, a real pain to take anywhere that is not an improved fire road. Easily high centered. Just too much infront of the axle, a jeep or Fj would really struggle with it. My guess is the tongue weight unloaded is near 1000 pounds requiring a equalizing hitch I would think.

Sell the camper, buy and axle from RedNeck trailer supply. You will have something you can use. Or put at flat top on the other one and turn it into a wheeled aircraft carrier.

jeeps4fun

Adventurer
Was thinking I could pull the box and corresponding 30" of frame off the 2nd one to help with length/tongue weight, but then I'm into more work to get it going. Would really like to get the family out this fall so I'm leaning to #1 as well

skersfan

Supporting Sponsor
Once you get one of these things, you will be surprised how little time you actually spend in them, IE living space. Normally only for sleeping. Rainy days may put you in them, but that space is normally just not used I have found. I think the smaller one with existing axle is more than adequate for what you are talking about. You will know when you tow it. If it flops all over the place with the extra weight of the box, then springs are in order. The rear end of the ranger should be strong enough for any trailer.

The other one in person may not seem so massive, but in the picture it looks gigantic for an off road trailer. And once you have one, you will want to take it places that challenge you and your trailer. It is just a fact. Farther away, farther in, deeper out back, will become your battle cry. My guess is the small one would be up and ready in a month or so, from what you said you were doing to it. With little kids, mommy, nothing is more important than the water and the shower option. Keep mommy happy, camping is a lot more fun, as all on here can confirm. Looks like a fun project.

jdholder

Explorer
I'd say #1.

And if you don't mind, if you decide against it, would you give me the details so I can take a look at it

Thanks!

loren85022

Explorer

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
That sounds like a plan!
When you pick up the fiberglass service body in Bend, pick me up that awesome Ford crew cab in the picture too!

jeeps4fun

Adventurer
I've yet to see a Fiberglass body within 400 miles of me :(. That or aluminum (aka unobtainium) was what I started the search for lol.

I had considered buying pieces seperate, but I don't have very many fabrication buddies up here and I'm marginal in welding. Logistics get in the way of building one custom to start. Although, it's not out of the question to get one and get it going and build a custom frame down the road.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles