Hardware to attach sheet metal?

klb67

Observer
I'm finishing up my utility trailer build. I'm getting some flex in the 16 gauge steel on the sides at the point my gas shock mounting stud attaches to the side (hopefully you can see it in the pic below). I fabricated and will add a 16 gauge plate about 1 foot square on the inside wall of the trailer at the top and front edge and will through-bolt the gas strut mounting stud through both pieces (lock nut and washer on the outside). I'd also like to attach the plate in each of the four corners. I could just use more bolts, flat washers and lock nuts, but I wondered if there was a better option, perhaps a rivet, that won't stick out on the side wall and will leave a smoother finish on both sides.

Google failed me - can anyone direct me to a better hardware option that won't require purchasing a special gun? I have a rivet gun (not pneumatic).

Also, I thought that using an adhesive of some sort between the panels would improve the strength. I don't have access to a gun to use the 2-part body panel adhesive. Has anyone successfully used something else in a similar application? Liquid nails? Thickened epoxy? Seam sealer?

Thanks.IMG_20130609_153159_350.jpg

UK4X4

Expedition Leader
Can't really see where the pistons attach

but I guess its below the rim square section

You should not need any thing so large

probably just a piece of 2 or 3" wide 1/4" thick strip steel

notch out the skin on the interior so you can weld the strip to the upper square and bring it down far enough that you need

I always used no nails of similar between my laminated parts- yep it melts but keeps the moisture out and adds ridgidity

klb67

Observer
I should add- The trailer is painted. I had a friend do all the welding since I don't have the skill or tools. Otherwise I probably would have had him weld the panel to the side.

Heimz

Observer
It might be a little late now, but I've found that the $99 Harbor Freight bead roller will put some nice beads into the sheetmetal while adding rigidity and reducing vibrations. I've used Henry's roof glue in situations like this, figuring that its designed to stick to sheetmetal flashing, is still soft and flexible for years in extreme conditions, and is obviously waterproof.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior