Question regarding selling Oz Tent on Exped Portal

TVoverlander

Hi Everyone,

I have been trying to sell my Oz Tent RV2 on the Portal as well as on Craig's list and have had no luck. I noticed one gentleman did sell an Oz Tent
on this portal so I know it's possible.

Can someone offer advice as to why I am unable to sell the tent on Exped Portal?

Appreciate your input/advice

TVOverlander

jjstahl3

Explorer
I bought a oz tent on expo so yes it's possible when looking for a used one price vs condition was our main factor

So if its not selling it is one of those two issues

monark192

Observer
Lack of shipping is an issue. I'm looking for an RV2 but i'm in San Diego and you're in Denver. The ad clearly says no shipping and I imagine it would be an expensive pain to ship the tent, so I never contacted you when I first saw the ad. Its just price/condition/location.

Romer

Adventurer
Tom,
Your price is a fair price. It didn't seem great at first, but after I researched the extras I saw it was. I didn't buy that RV4 as of yet and I may change my mind on an RV2 being too small.

Maybe this will help you, had it been an RV4 I would have bought it quickly. Its hard to figure out how much stuff you can get inside one of these. I researched and didn't come up with anything definitive on the RV2, but that the RV3 or 4 would work. I was just trying to figure out if two low cots would fit with the door still open AND how much room is available between the two COTs.

The other thing is that for those that don't want the xtras, they can buy the tent new for less than you are asking. Its the extras that make your price fair and I had to research for a while to figure that out.

So that's the two things
define better why your price is fair AND take an inside picture with cots or sleeping bags to show how much room is there.

Flanker525

As mentioned I would bump your post again for better visibility. When searching for an oz-tent for sale on this forum an issue that I ran into was how to search for it as many people spell them differently ( oztent, oz tent etc) also "tent" was too generic.

The no shipping also works both ways. I passed on a few for sale but as soon as I saw one for sale relatively locally I jumped on it in a heartbeat.

Xrunner

Explorer
I'm local and looked at your for sale post several times, just came down to the fact I didn't need the extras panels.

That being said, I still keep eyeing the tent each time I run across the pictures and trying to find a justification for the whole setup. :)

luk4mud

Explorer
My thoughts when looking at your ad: great tent, just nor for me. I think there is a limited market for that type of tent. It has to be a buyer not enamored of the RTTs (alot of us are not), still willing to fuss with an involved (compared to the instant tents) ground set up, appreciative of the quality build, and interested in your particular model and extras.

unseenone

Explorer
It seems like you need to offer to ship it, at buyers expense which will open a much bigger market. Yes, it's a lot easier on everyone to deal locally, but you've boxed yourself in to a small market. For me, it would be a nice to have, albeit fairly priced but not needed. Price it to move, expand what YOU are willing to do to sell it.

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
Hi Everyone,

I have been trying to sell my Oz Tent RV2 on the Portal as well as on Craig's list and have had no luck. I noticed one gentleman did sell an Oz Tent
on this portal so I know it's possible.

Can someone offer advice as to why I am unable to sell the tent on Exped Portal?

Appreciate your input/advice

TVOverlander

Well, biggest reason is that most of us don't live in Denver. :) You are confining yourself to a very narrow market and I don't understand why there is a big issue about shipping - unless you just don't want the hassle?

Second, you are selling yours for $800 and Bass Pro Shops sells it for $799.99 and will ship it anywhere for $14. Yes, I understand that the one you are selling has additional options that the Bass Pro one does not but you need to help the potential buyer do the math - how much did you pay for it, how much would it cost new today, etc?

So, solution is to widen your potential market outside of Denver and help these potential customers understand the value that your deal offers over buying new.

trailscape

Explorer
I probably would have jumped on it, but I had no idea how well a cot might work with it. Ended up purchasing a Turbotent.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles