most capable off-road pickup?

crismateski

American Adventurist
that is a loaded question, what kind of terrain, what driving style, does it need to do standard truck stuff as well (carry a load, tow) Going solo, or with the family

Need more information

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
Out of the box? Power Wagon. The only thing likely to stop it is a narrow trail. I guess the H1 Hummer comes as a "pickup", but I wouldn't really consider it as such.

98dango

Expedition Leader
Stock out of the box power wagon a raptor is cool but have there limits. Same with a tacoma and trucks of the like. But a single do it all tow haul camp drive and hit the trails with a power wagon has it hands down.

If you need a full size to carry lots of gear, crawl, tow, etc. then the Power Wagon is your choice. The Tacoma is uber capable in a smaller package. High speed whoops in the desert with less emphasis on payload and towing...Raptor is the choice.

My choice...the Power Wagon, without hesitation. :sombrero:

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
Wondering if there was the power of suggestion made by the OP in naming the power wagon first? :coffeedrink:

Let's make it more complicated, stock, bang for the buck (price)

Then as to load and towing

Availability of mods

Stock driving range, mpg, @ highway?

Now what say you? :coffee:

crawler#976

Expedition Leader
Those of us who own a Power Wagon consider them to be kind of like a Swiss Army Knife - extremely versatile, they can accomplish almost any task you ask of it.

No other truck comes as well equipped from the factory as a Power Wagon, and it's not even close.

To start with, no other factory pickup comes with a winch. While listed on the build sheet as a 12K, it's actually the 15K. All the specs match the 15K - 315:1 ratio, 7/16 cable, etc, etc.

Same goes for the sway bar disconnect - no other truck has this feature. It's what we use the most in our travels off highway. It makes a huge difference in ride quality. You will not find a better riding 3/4T truck off highway. And whenn aired down to 20 PSI, it's even better!

Add in the full factory skid plates, and IF you can find a set, the factory rock rails, and the truck is ready to rock. Literally!

The 3rd generation trucks are ready to go for 35" tires - the 4.56 axle gear ratio is perfect for 35's. 4th Gen trucks need a little help to clear 35's, but it's minor.

While no where nearly as good as the Raptor Fox shocks, the factory Bilstiens shocks are adequate. An upgrade to 5100's for $300.00 will help immensely.

...and don't even try to load a Raptor like you can a Power Wagon. My daily driving weight is right at 8K - I haul 1200 lbs of gear and topper every day. A PW will also tow pretty much whatever you want. While not in the diesel class for torque, 404 Ft/Lbs will keep thing moving - it's just a wee bit thirsty when doing it.

They certainly have there faults, the front axle being the worst. They eat ball joints, but the reason they do is why they are surprisingly nimble for a 140" wheel base. Those of you that have been out with me know how well this big truck does on the trail. The upper ball joints are angled inward, and that allows for a very tight turning radius, but they wear very quickly - I'm on my third set at just over 53000K.

Perhaps the biggest issue with a Power Wagon is MPG - be forewarned - 14 on the highway, 12 in town, 6 to 8 when aired down below 20 is what they do. While towing our 4K trailer, we get 12 on the highway, 10 on back roads.

Mark

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94